Mike Tyson Responding To His Kids Wanting To Be Boxers

at least he's honest.

too many parents these pump up their kids heads by saying they can be and do whatever they want. saying their special when they aren't. kids getting trophys for just participating and ****, not winning.
+1.

If your kids display no aptitude toward/don't have the personality for a certain pursuit or you see where it would do them more harm than good, there is nothing wrong with steering them toward something that is more suited to their strengths. Everybody can't be everything. That idea is a lot of what has society so ****** up now, people get told that they can do or be anything despite just not being cut from the cloth for it.

Besides, why would Mike encourage his kids to get beat the **** up for a living again? To paraphrase Dr. S. Corey Carter, "he did that so hopefully they wouldn't have to go through that."

Last edited:
While I agree with your first point; I think your second point is an ignorant generalization. The older generation is always putting down the youth and though we are living in different times, there are parents out there raising their children correctly.

You reaching

This has nothing to do with generations. It's about the parents. People in the 1800's living in a cottage in Idaho probably was telling their kids they could be anything, but they really couldn't. Some people truely could be anything but that's few and in between. As a parent you need to steer your kid in the right direction for success.

You reaching

This has nothing to do with generations. It's about the parents. People in the 1800's living in a cottage in Idaho probably was telling their kids they could be anything, but they really couldn't. Some people truely could be anything but that's few and in between. As a parent you need to steer your kid in the right direction for success.
How am I reaching? I was responding to what he said about "kids today", hence the generation comment. I swear some members on here have zero reading and comprehension skills.

some of u noobs may think mike is some dumb meathead, but he is actually very intelligent and wise. furthermore, i think hes spot on.

go ahead and point out a single person who alluded to anything like that? who said anything negative about tyson in here?

What do you even know about starting from nothing kid?
was i referring to u or anybody specific? no. in the past, mike has been known to be a knucklehead in the media and thats why i wanted to help clear things up a bit kid.

i never claimed i started from nothing either u child lol

Because it's true?

If a kid is passionate enough to prove everyone wrong, perfect - it all worked out and he's where he wanted to be. But no need to gas up someone for no reason. When Paul Pierce was a kid back in LA there was some NBA legend (I forget who) who used to talk all kinds of trash to him and break him down mentally, look where he is now.

And when the kid is successful in life no thanks to you, way to motivate.

"Dad pretty much measured my intelligence and skills at 5 yrs old and said all I'll probably be is a manager at McDonalds so don't aim any higher than that".

some of u noobs may think mike is some dumb meathead, but he is actually very intelligent and wise. furthermore, i think hes spot on.

go ahead and point out a single person who alluded to anything like that? who said anything negative about tyson in here?

was i referring to u or anybody specific? no. in the past, mike has been known to be a knucklehead in the media and thats why i wanted to help clear things up a bit kid.

listen boy, nobody said anything negative about tyson.... who are you refferring to by saying "u noobs"...this aint call of duty

at least he's honest.

too many parents these pump up their kids heads by saying they can be and do whatever they want. saying their special when they aren't. kids getting trophys for just participating and ****, not winning.
Mike's kids pretty much can be anything they want, though. They have every opportunity afforded to them.

It may not be boxing, but in basically anything they want to do they would have an upper hand.

Last edited:

listen boy, nobody said anything negative about tyson.... who are you refferring to by saying "u noobs"...this aint call of duty
listen boy, by "u noobs" i meant "ppl who think mike is dumb." if i wanted to call somebody out i wouldve quoted them myself boy

I get what he's saying and he's right.

I tell my daughter that she can be anything that she wants to be if she works hard for it. Now, can she? Of course she can, but it won't be handed to her. She's 5 now so she doesn't get it but I'll keep reminding her as she gets older

Originally Posted by Jay Patt  

He pretty much summed you 90s kids up
Dumbest post i've seen on NT in awhile.

You're free to go.

Privileged boxer kids =/= all of us. Check your privilege.
jakes on you, he said that to show how sensitive 90s kids are.

your jimmy status:rustled
Reaching.

If I said "He pretty much summed you (insert 60-80)s kids up" I would have rustled their jimmies as well.

listen boy, by "u noobs" i meant "ppl who think mike is dumb." if i wanted to call somebody out i wouldve quoted them myself boy

what people? who are you talking about? Everyone is praising mike...

[QUOTE name="Jay Patt" url="[URL]http://niketalk.com/t/543453/mike-tyson-responding-to-his-kids-wanting-to-be-boxers/30#post_18177961[/URL]"]
[QUOTE name="cartune" url="[URL]http://niketalk.com/t/543453/mike-tyson-responding-to-his-kids-wanting-to-be-boxers#post_18175750[/URL]"]

You're free to go.

[/QUOTE]

Reaching.

If I said "He pretty much summed you (insert 60-80)s kids up" I would have rustled their jimmies as well.
[/quote]

This. And what if you're born in 1989? Are you considered soft and spoiled?

love the message mike love the brutal honesty but mike looking a little bit too skinny he lost mad weight 

Lol @ all the rustled jimmies.

Mike is that dude tho. Keepin it one hunnid

Originally Posted by Jay Patt  

You're free to go.

Reaching.

I was kidding.

Why wouldn't you tell your kids they can be anything they want though? :rolleyes

You want them to aspire for greatness so that they can reach their maximum potential, but at the same time you want them to have realistic goals so that they dont set them selves up for disappointment.

My son said he wanted to be a race car driver the other day. I told him to pump those brakes.

Last edited:
Of course they don't. I've always figured that in. The hardest rappers kid couldn't make anywhere near the impacting powerful music their parents have especially since a lot of that deals with where they grew up and how they grew up. It's pretty impossible unless the parents make a twisted effort to raise their kids in similar or worse conditions which doesn't make sense since most of them strive to make sure their children have a better life than them.

None of Mike's kids could step in the ring with the ferocity he did no matter what you think of the man as a person or what you assume the type of father he is.

In terms of music.. I'm not so sure of that.

Pain & Suffering is subjective. Just because you have the financial means doesn't mean you don't have pain. Or things to say that others can connect to.

Boxing has always been a poor man's sport.

The main reason the old timer's (Early 1900's) had hundreds of fights was that they needed money for family/food/to live (all three alotta of the time).

Fighting every month (at times every week) was critical.

Harry Greb (The GOAT) had 40 fights in one year alone (losing only a handful while being blind in one eye).

Puts Mayweather's "longevity" in perspective.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom