MGK Broke (?) And Living In His Manager's Mom's Basement. Diddy Strikes Again!!!

We may have to patiently wait until MGK's EST 4 Life mixtape drops (Aug. 14!) and his Lace Up album release (Oct. 9!), but take comfort in knowing that the Ohio-grown rapper is the MTV POSTED artist for August! All month long, we follow the Breaking Woodie winner through exclusive interviews, videos and photos over at POSTED.MTV.com.

Last week, MGK chatted about what it was like to work with legendary rappers Diddy and Waka Flocka Flame, but this time around, we learn that just 'cause you're brushing shoulders with ballers doesn't mean you live like one -- MGK still lives in his manager's mom's basement. And that's how you work from the bottom up, guys.

Watch MGK chat about living in a basement and his favorite "Invincible" memories after the jump.

In the video, MGK admits that while he may be blowing up in the fame game, he wants to remain humble through the process, and that's why he still lives in a basement: "Honestly, I just really want to treasure this almost-famous stage." But just 'cause MGK is a cellar dweller doesn't mean he's not making magical memories along the way. In another video clip, the rapper talks about his favorite making of "Invincible" memory. Technically, it's a bummer moment that involves getting booed by 18,000 people in a Miami stadium, but MGK says the song taught him to hold his head high and brush it off his shoulders. Lesson learned: Haters gonna hate, but he don't give an eff -- even if there are 18,000 of them.
http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2012/08/0...ment-shares-favorite-invincible-memory-video/

"In the video, MGK admits that while he may be blowing up in the fame game, he wants to remain humble through the process, and that's why he still lives in a basement"

Yeah right 
eyes.gif
mean.gif

$1.1 million deal, two tours, and you've got nothing left, and money to recoup?

3089tar.gif

Last edited:
it basically says he chooses to live in a basement (to keep him humble)... doesnt say anything about him being broke

he does too many shows to be broke

Is it me or does that article not at all support what you're implying?

I mean, Puff is obviously a shark in business, but you're basically slandering the guy for no reason here.

Which is why I take all of the things people say about dude with a grain of salt.

This isn't true right? Seems like MGK makes tons of money off of shows.
it basically says he chooses to live in a basement (to keep him humble)... doesnt say anything about him being broke

he does too many shows to be broke
Dudes reading comprehension on here is God awful
mean.gif
I did a google search and I can't find it now, but there were reports months ago about how MGK had to pay for his own tour buses and pay his entire crews way himself.  There was also an interview where he said he doesn't see that much off touring, but that he enjoys it so much that he doesn't care about the money.

At the time it didn't seem like anything, but now living in his manager's mom's basement to STAY HUMBLE?

And you believe that?  Listen to yourselves.  You want to keep a modicum of humility so you live in you friend's mom's basement?

My reading comprehension is fine, thank you.  I just think he's trying to put a spin on the fact that a reporter asked him why he was living in the basement of a house he doesn't own.

I might also just be a hater though
laugh.gif
  TIME don't run to dude's defense just cuz he's from Ohio.

Last edited:
Not hard to believe. I've also read the tour comes out of pocket, and I'm not sure but if he signed a 360 and is coming out of pocket, no way he has dough left for himself.

I did a google search and I can't find it now, but there were reports months ago about how MGK had to pay for his own tour buses and pay his entire crews way himself.  There was also an interview where he said he doesn't see that much off touring, but that he enjoys it so much that he doesn't care about the money.

But labels don't necessarily pay for those things. In fact, those usually come out of a tour budget.

I.E., you get paid to do a show. A lot of times you'll get a fee + travel from the promoter.

Travel=tour buses. So the label has nothing to do with that.

Crew=non label employees. That comes out of the fee.

What would any of that have to do with Puff? Labels are not always involved with the live element of their artists.

And let's say it's a 360 deal, and they are involved in the live element. I'm not sure any of us is educated in the structure of those deals to speak on it intelligently.

So your sensationalized headline doesn't really apply here.

Oh, the thread title was all jokes towards puff.  I thought puff's artists ending up broke/in purgatory was a running gag on #NT/the truth.  my mistake, then.

I do still think MGK is struggling though.

$1.1 million deal, two tours, and you've got nothing left, and money to recoup?
that 7 figure tax bracket will destroy you if you don't know what your doing , they be coming for half 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Sooooo is he broke or not?  I wanna know because I dont ever see him with any money....like I haven't heard him do anything BUT shows.  No car, no hot girl, no jewelry...and I don't care what you say when you get a deal, you would want to have your OWN place....

He only at about 5-6 a show last i heard, he ain't really blew up yet. So i don't expect him to be ballin'. I've only seen him at SXSW and he seems to have a following, the only way he's going to cake is off tour money and appearances, that's if your man diddy ain't sign him to a 360. I'm surprised Vans/Supra something like that hasn't swooped him up for an endorsement deal.

At the time it didn't seem like anything, but now living in his manager's mom's basement to STAY HUMBLE?

And you believe that?  Listen to yourselves.  You want to keep a modicum of humility so you live in you friend's mom's basement?

My reading comprehension is fine, thank you.  I just think he's trying to put a spin on the fact that a reporter asked him why he was living in the basement of a house he doesn't own.

I might also just be a hater though :lol:   TIME don't run to dude's defense just cuz he's from Ohio.

:lol: i dont care for dude's music and he's not even from here

just sayin... he has too big of a buzz to be broke...

Haven't heard anything from him but "Wild Boy" why would he be rich off one hit?

Exactly what i'm thinking. This ain't NAS or Jay-Z. We talkin' about a cat who virutally just got signed. Why would he be rich?

And even if he was "rich" and somehow broke I wouldn't blame the boss. I blame the man that signed the contract.

Back
Top Bottom