Mercedes-Benz GLA Concept Revealed

Thanks all. Still waiting for the break-in period to end to fully enjoy it.

I haven't seen the Edition One in person but it's like a day to day thing with me on that one. Some days I love the graphics and the ostentatious spoiler but then there are days where I just don't. I do think the spoiler works best on red though, it's a nice touch with the black accents of the car.

thought rfx was gonna ball out and cop da 911 :smh:

or was that someone else :lol:

congrats tho papi i c u shinin pleighboi :pimp:

Last edited:
I need da 911 
tired.gif

Too many to choose from as a weekend car, between the M235i, the RC350, the Cayman, the Stingray, the 911, the V8 Vantage, etc... (I know very ide range :lol: ) I just couldn't pin-point which to go with especially with others coming out too (Q50, C63 Coupe, AMG GT & new R8). Plus it's way too much fun test driving these cars.

So I decided to switch up my daily driver instead, been driving a 2007 IS for a long, long time now and while still great and comfortable, I feel like if I don't change it now I might never do.

It's also good too make a relationship with an MB dealership now once the AMG GT starts arriving in dealerships, the GT is supposed to be cheaper than the GTS (Starts at ~$130k) and I am hoping it is in the 911/Vantage price range.

Last edited:
MBs also considering a light pick-up called GLT and ot be made along with Nissan.

"We are not going to develop a fat cowboy truck for North America. After all, the big three – Ford, GM/GMC and Ram – already own about 90 percent of that market which typically absorbs in excess of two million units per year," Mornhinweg told Car. "In this cutthroat environment, newcomers like us would invariably fight an arduous uphill battle. That's why our focus is on a smaller and lighter pick-up truck which is already perceived as premium product in South America, Africa and the Middle East."

View media item 1497337

Last edited:
I know it's more common outside the US but Mercedes vans always seemed so odd to me. It's so utilitarian that it's kind of weird and unusual to correlate the two.

I know it's more common outside the US but Mercedes vans always seemed so odd to me. It's so utilitarian that it's kind of weird and unusual to correlate the two.

I see a ton of Mercedes Sprinters though... There's a couple unimogs that gloat around Portland too :smokin...

Anyways... I got a question for you... When you think of Mercedes... Do you think of: luxury or quality?...

Honestly, I think of quality first, and then luxury... But that might just be me... So I think if they introduce it to North America, it'll do fairly well... Can't do worse than the Lincoln F-150 can it :lol:...

Definitely luxury for me. Mercedes, just like other Europeans, has the stigma and are notorious with reliability problems so quality isn't always what I think of when it comes to Mercedes. I know quality in terms of materials used are suppose to be superb with Benzes but that goes hand in hand with luxury too rather than reliability, does that make sense? I guess there's an overlap there.

I know they are more reliable these days but if I were to guess why most buy a Merc between those two reasons, it is the luxury aspect (not including AMGs).

I do think they are smart in not competing with bigger trucks and going with what is already popular in other parts of the world but in the US, I don't know how great it will be accepted. Not sure how well it will sell. Hard to imagine them selling it at an entry level price too.

Oh man that Mark LT, I think their problem was they went for the full size truck market and I think most that want a full size wants it more rugged that can take the dirt and mud than being luxurious where you avoid getting dust on the interior. And how much did it start, $45k-$50k?

I just don't know, I'd probably go for a true hatch or wagon before investing in a pick-up truck for the US market even if the production numbers are small.

These days though, they seem to see more potential on more 4-door coupes whether it be a car or weird compact crossovers.

I think the LT started at like 43K :rofl:... I actually used to know someone who had one...

And I agree with Damn near everything you said... Like you said, Mercedes is the king of the niche vehicle... They already offer every sorta vehicle anyone could never want... And then they make an AMG version that makes no Damn sense and I'd kill a person for one :lol:...

We obviously disagree on this subject, but I do think a small/mid size truck could be successful here... It would depend upon if Mercedes is willing to shed their luxury first perception... I personally think they already are...

They market the CLA as sub 30k...whether it actually is or not doesn't matter :lol:... I also think the subtle rebranding they're doing is part of it... Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-AMG, Mercedes-Maybach... I could see them bringing in a Mercedes-Vans, or probably a sexier name :lol:... It would allow them to create a separate unitarian brand, that comes with a different stigma than the other brands...

But it's 4/20 and I'm rambling :lol:...

What your saying makes sense but I think they are in between things, kind of like Porsche, satisfy the old school fans while attracting newer ones. I don't think they'll want to shed the luxury perception, even the CLA is advertised as such and that is their big seller.

I feel the CLA/GLA is a response to the increasing price of entry level vehicles and they just have to adapt and attract those younger buyers, the new and next generation in hopes that they'll continue buying Benzes as they grow up.

Price-wise, the C-Class starts at ~$39k now, it is no longer entry level and it'll be difficult to get mid-20s to early-30s even consider it and that is where the sub $30k CLA comes in. Benz risks plenty on the CLA to get young buyers, many Benz aficionados whose owned Benzes for decades despises what the CLA is and how it isn't up to par but it is necessary to grow and compete with the A3's, 228i's, ILX/TLX, etc... heck BMW just released the 320i that starts at ~$32k, weaker engine but that is a great entry-way for young buyers to BMW and MB can't beat that with the ~$39k C300.

Back to the GLT, I think price might determine it's success in the end. Price it too low and it isn't a Benz because corner will have to be cut. Price it too high and many may be turned off? Engine has to be right, power has to be enough to do pick-up activities but not be too much that it bumps the price too high. It also has to be efficient. Outside has to be rugged enough to be taken off road or camping, but it also has to be finessed like a luxury car. I don't think the US is just in a big vehicle mindset anymore, a crossover truck seems to be the sweetspot, like Hyundais newest concept Santa Cruz but it makes sense for Hyundai as they can put many HPs in there and keep the price reasonable like what they did with the Genesis Coupe.

View media item 1500345

I don't know, we'll see, this might be the next trend we are looking at here.

Trend is the right word...

Because there will always be a market for small, durable trucks... Mercedes also has another advantage in this instance: amazing diesel engines... I don't believe there's a small pickup in North America that offers a diesel...

My point after these paragraphs we've each typed is: I believe there is a market for what the GLT could be, and it's not being fulfilled by an American company right now...

I got to admit though I am not an expert on trucks, only one I'd even really consider is the Raptor.

Off the top of my head, only compact pick-ups I could think of are Tacoma and Colorado. Is that really it? F150 is still considered a full size, right?

It still astounds me how much pick-ups are sold in the US annually. Like it's not even close really.

I believe it's just the Colorado/gmc version and the Tacoma... With zero diesel offerings... Every other truck is full sized and huge...

I know 6 different people with Rangers... 3 of them spend a lot on them to keep them good for a long time... And they're reason is they don't have a replacement for it...

And yeah... Truck business is huge business... If VW was to bring over a small pickup, I feel the same way as well...

Last edited:
It might work. They sell so much in the US that even a thin slice of the pie could be profitable.

Oh man I swear, this morning I was driving next to the R350 and we were just talking about MB vans/trucks. I know this is technically a "MPV" but I've always called it a mini-van. ;lol But yah that was just weird for it be next to me on the freeway, completely forgot that they even existed.

View media item 1501529

Real talk... R63 is a top 5 coolest car ever... I actually see R350's on a regular basis here... I think their niche of Awd, V6, and no-sliding door was successful here... And probably 3 other places and that's it :lol:...

Real talk... R63 is a top 5 coolest car ever... I actually see R350's on a regular basis here... I think their niche of Awd, V6, and no-sliding door was successful here... And probably 3 other places and that's it :lol:...

Words been circling that MB might bring the R-class back to take advantage of the sudden SUV/CUV craze in the US.

Rfx45 are you leasing?

Definitely leasing, as much as I love the car, that 355hp 2.0 liter turbo I4 is still untested and I could be shooting myself in the foot once warranty expires.

If you plan to get one, maybe wait for for MY2016, some of the added standard features are good (like push to start) or maybe even MY2017 as they are upping the HP on the engine, might be 375 for a regular AMG and closer to 400 with the AMG S version.

Also... 355hp 2.0L turbo I4 vs. 621hp 6.0L V12 twin-turbo in a quarter mile drag

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom