maryland govenor signs bill that extends in-state tuition breaks to illegal immigrants

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

Originally Posted by higherthanthemonument

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

Last time I checked border control is a Federal issue and even if it weren't Maryland isn't a border state, so it isn't our responsibility to pay for or deal with border control. Therefore, Maryland isn't trying to deal with the problem we are just addressing the underlying issues that stem from it. Frankly, that's the way it should be because I would rather my tax money go to providing breaks for people who are trying to better themselves, than paying to secure a border that we aren't even near.
smokin.gif
youre make too uch sense right now.....dont overwhelmed them w/ logic
O I see, so you should only pay for things that directly effect you. Hmmm, in that case, why am I paying taxes on the majority of the things I pay taxes on?

The funny thing is, you made very little sense and then were co-signed
laugh.gif
. Yes, let's not even discuss the border issues in Maryland when we are having to implement laws as a result of border issues.
indifferent.gif

Nobody said you should only pay taxes only on things directly affecting you. This bill is actually in accord with what you're saying. That is, often the taxes we pay are used to indirectly benefit us. By allowing illegal immigrants to receive higher education, the whole state benefits in the long-term economically and socially.

Last time I checked border control is a Federal issue and even if it weren't Maryland isn't a border state, so it isn't our responsibility to pay for or deal with border control. Therefore, Maryland isn't trying to deal with the problem we are just addressing the underlying issues that stem from it. Frankly, that's the way it should be because I would rather my tax money go to providing breaks for people who are trying to better themselves, than paying to secure a border that we aren't even near.
smokin.gif
O I see, so you should only pay for things that directly effect you. Hmmm, in that case, why am I paying taxes on the majority of the things I pay taxes on?

laugh.gif
. Yes, let's not even discuss the border issues in Maryland when we are having to implement laws as a result of border issues.
indifferent.gif

Nobody said you should only pay taxes only on things directly affecting you. This bill is actually in accord with what you're saying. That is, often the taxes we pay are used to indirectly benefit us. By allowing illegal immigrants to receive higher education, the whole state benefits in the long-term economically and socially.

smokin.gif

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

From a state and local standpoint, yes, we should only pay for things that affect us. You don't see Maryland asking Arizona, Texas, etc. for help cleaning up the Chesapeake Bay do you? Not sure if you are from MD or not, but let me break it down for you a little more in case you didn't get it. In Montgomery County, where I live, some cities like Rockville and Takoma Park have their own police force in addition to the county police. To pay for those extra services those cities tax their residents more, but the county as a whole does not pay for it.

How does this relate to immigration? Well it's simple immigration is clearly a Federal issue, so Maryland taxes shouldn't go up to deal with the problem which should be left to the Federal government. Furthermore, Maryland doesn't HAVE to implement laws to deal with the border issues, but the Maryland legislature decided they WANT to help these people who want to better themselves. The point is immigrants are here whether or not the state of Maryland likes it, and whether or not the Federal government does anything about it, so why not at least try to help them? Clearly, if these people are paying taxes and going to school they are contributing to society in a meanginful way, so why not make it a little easier for them to do it?

smokin.gif

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

From a state and local standpoint, yes, we should only pay for things that affect us. You don't see Maryland asking Arizona, Texas, etc. for help cleaning up the Chesapeake Bay do you? Not sure if you are from MD or not, but let me break it down for you a little more in case you didn't get it. In Montgomery County, where I live, some cities like Rockville and Takoma Park have their own police force in addition to the county police. To pay for those extra services those cities tax their residents more, but the county as a whole does not pay for it.

How does this relate to immigration? Well it's simple immigration is clearly a Federal issue, so Maryland taxes shouldn't go up to deal with the problem which should be left to the Federal government. Furthermore, Maryland doesn't HAVE to implement laws to deal with the border issues, but the Maryland legislature decided they WANT to help these people who want to better themselves. The point is immigrants are here whether or not the state of Maryland likes it, and whether or not the Federal government does anything about it, so why not at least try to help them? Clearly, if these people are paying taxes and going to school they are contributing to society in a meanginful way, so why not make it a little easier for them to do it?

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

HoleUP!

tuition breaks for illegal immigrants?!

is this real life or just fanta sea?
30t6p3b.gif

i live in Maryland  btw.
do you talk like that in real life?

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

HoleUP!

tuition breaks for illegal immigrants?!

is this real life or just fanta sea?
30t6p3b.gif

i live in Maryland  btw.
do you talk like that in real life?

About 40% of phD graduates in the US were not even born in the US so to discriminate on them for being immigrants is idiotic..If these kids getting aid have great grades and a bright future that can benefit society as a whole, you don't support their education?

About 40% of phD graduates in the US were not even born in the US so to discriminate on them for being immigrants is idiotic..If these kids getting aid have great grades and a bright future that can benefit society as a whole, you don't support their education?

Originally Posted by Hizzle

Originally Posted by GetThisMoney

Smh at non tax payers using my money when there are real American citizens who cant get aid....

Read the %%%#!#% article.

"In a compromise this year, sponsors rewrote the bill to initially direct undocumented students to community colleges. Those who receive an associate’s degree would then qualify for in-state tuition at four-year institutions. Students must have graduated from a Maryland high school, provide proof that their parents are state taxpayers and express their intent to become a citizen."

in case others dont read

Thas great news! Im hoping more states to follow in the future
And getting that Dream Act passed here in California

Thas great news! Im hoping more states to follow in the future
And getting that Dream Act passed here in California

Originally Posted by Hizzle

Originally Posted by GetThisMoney

Smh at non tax payers using my money when there are real American citizens who cant get aid....

Read the %%%#!#% article.

"In a compromise this year, sponsors rewrote the bill to initially direct undocumented students to community colleges. Those who receive an associate’s degree would then qualify for in-state tuition at four-year institutions. Students must have graduated from a Maryland high school, provide proof that their parents are state taxpayers and express their intent to become a citizen."

in case others dont read

laugh.gif
at "real american citizens"

how many people are born in this country and dont take advantage of these opportunities

why not give it to the people you want it and run with it?

and its not like its given to random people, these people ARE taxpayers and go to MD schools.

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
ignorance ftl

laugh.gif
at "real american citizens"

how many people are born in this country and dont take advantage of these opportunities

why not give it to the people you want it and run with it?

and its not like its given to random people, these people ARE taxpayers and go to MD schools.

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
ignorance ftl

I thought you needed a valid SSN and all that sort of stuff to get into a school. As a US citizen it was hell to verify who I was. Even for drivers licenses and passports. 

I thought you needed a valid SSN and all that sort of stuff to get into a school. As a US citizen it was hell to verify who I was. Even for drivers licenses and passports. 

So does anyone know if illegal immigrants can apply for FAFSA aid if their parents pay taxes? *general question I really dont know* 

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

I worked for a property management firm and you would be surprised to know how easy it is to get a SSN assigned to you. The thing is the SSN will usually have restrictions and will require verifications for certain things like employment, but otherwise it can be used for pretty much anything, which includes filing taxes and applying to schools.

Back
Top Bottom