Martin Apperciation

That whole scene in the "Guard Your Grill" episode with Tommy Hearns in Martin's apartment is so underrated lol

Told this story before (maybe in here) but telling it again!

I'm in LA for work. When I'm in LA I like to go to Wild Card Boxing because it's close to my hotel, only $5 for the day pass and I enjoy it more than hotel gyms.

I'm in there doing my workout. A guy comes in. Everyone in the gym saying what up to him so I hear his name. I know that name.

Eventually I'm on a heavy bag close to where he's training some guy. Round ends. He's chilling in the corner of the ring. I walk over....

"Frankie Liles?"
He says yes.
"You were in one of my favorite Martin episodes!"

He laughs, we chop it up. He tells me to stick around. When he's done with his guy he gives me mitts for like 1/2 hour and won't take my money.

Frankie was the guy with Tommy in the apartment. Beat Roy Jones as an amateur and was a long time Super Mid. Champ.

Am I the only one that Feels Martin has lost his edge. He he no longer has his sitcom edge.
If you had to re-learn all of your basic motor skills due to stroke, you would move with less “pep in your step” too. He’s still got those jokes though. Plus, he’s old as hell now lol.

1705446515060.png

saw this comment on a youtube video for buckwhite. legend.

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 19-18-46 Buckwhite - YouTube.png

I played BUCKWHITE.

I was a prop man on the show Ray Massara and one day during rehearsal we had a barber shop set and the actor (FYI his character name was Lil Dawg played by the stage PA Adrian Tibbs) during the producers run through which is basically a quick little dry run of the show with no audience.

I decided as a joke would put this huge afro wig on and sit in the barber chair. when Martin came around the corner and saw me he started laughing and said Ray I'm gonna put you in the show this week.

So that Friday night while we were shooting the scene and said my scripted line "word is bond" Martin adlibbed "Buckwhite you aint lyin" The live audience went nuts and my stupid character was born.

From then on in production meetings anytime there was a reference to a character such as a bad rapper leaves the stage all the crew would start screaming out BUCKWHITE! and the revised script would have me in it.

Not only did I make good money playing this stupid roll and being a propman I still get residual checks to this day.Not alot but when you get a check for 50 bucks for nothing you gotta love it.
I have been in the entertainment business for over 40 years and to this day those years on Martin were the most fun I've ever had.

It's unbelievable to me to this day be working on a show and while am giving a prop to someone see them look at me weird and then they ask "You Buckwhite"? and my assistants and I just start laughing. Word is bond!

Back
Top Bottom