Marijuana Linked To Cancer?

[h1]Marijuana Is Now Linked To Cancer[/h1]Share

marijuanabluntroc4life.jpg

My condolences to the "puff, puff, pass" movement, but researchers have found a link in marijuana to cancer. Apparently THC, the chemical in marijuana behind the "high" smokers enjoy, also weakens the immune system. Smokers are prone to developing pneumonia, bacterial infections, and tumors in the breast, bladder, lung, and elsewhere.

The DailyMail has all the details:

While cannabis’s links to devastating mental health problems are well known, its potential to wreck the immune system has received less attention. The American research focused on the effect of cannabis chemicals including THC on the immune system.

In tests on mice, they triggered the production of a ‘massive’ number of immune cells called myeloid-derived suppressor cells or MDSCs. These normally act as a safety brake on the immune system stopping its battle against disease from spiralling out of control.

But in the case of cancer, they may actually make it easier for tumours to grow, the European Journal of Immunology reports.

marijuanabudroc4life.jpg

Lead researcher Dr Prakash Nagarkatti, from the University of South Carolina, said: ‘These results raise interesting questions on whether increased susceptibility to certain types of cancers or infections caused from smoking marijuana results from induction of MDSCs.

The findings could have important implications, not only for those who use the drug recreationally but for those taking it to improve their health.

The drug is used to ease the symptoms of multiple sclerosis and THC can be used in treatment of cancer, glaucoma and HIV.

Whew! If any of you feel sick or notice any lumps, take yourself to the hospital!

http://www.roc4life.com/profiles/blogs/marijuana-is-now-linked-to

[h1]Marijuana Is Now Linked To Cancer[/h1]Share

marijuanabluntroc4life.jpg

My condolences to the "puff, puff, pass" movement, but researchers have found a link in marijuana to cancer. Apparently THC, the chemical in marijuana behind the "high" smokers enjoy, also weakens the immune system. Smokers are prone to developing pneumonia, bacterial infections, and tumors in the breast, bladder, lung, and elsewhere.

The DailyMail has all the details:

While cannabis’s links to devastating mental health problems are well known, its potential to wreck the immune system has received less attention. The American research focused on the effect of cannabis chemicals including THC on the immune system.

In tests on mice, they triggered the production of a ‘massive’ number of immune cells called myeloid-derived suppressor cells or MDSCs. These normally act as a safety brake on the immune system stopping its battle against disease from spiralling out of control.

But in the case of cancer, they may actually make it easier for tumours to grow, the European Journal of Immunology reports.

marijuanabudroc4life.jpg

Lead researcher Dr Prakash Nagarkatti, from the University of South Carolina, said: ‘These results raise interesting questions on whether increased susceptibility to certain types of cancers or infections caused from smoking marijuana results from induction of MDSCs.

The findings could have important implications, not only for those who use the drug recreationally but for those taking it to improve their health.

The drug is used to ease the symptoms of multiple sclerosis and THC can be used in treatment of cancer, glaucoma and HIV.

Whew! If any of you feel sick or notice any lumps, take yourself to the hospital!

cigarettes, alcohol, sun light, etc are all linked to cancer. F it, we all gonna die sooner or later. why not enjoy ourselves puffin on some of that goood

cigarettes, alcohol, sun light, etc are all linked to cancer. F it, we all gonna die sooner or later. why not enjoy ourselves puffin on some of that goood

So you're telling me that smoking MJ can cause cancer?
Pssssh BOLOGNA

So you're telling me that smoking MJ can cause cancer?
Pssssh BOLOGNA

and i bet their giving mice like 2 pounds of kush per mouse in 1 day word to the union with the monkey testing that they said was killing brain cells

and i bet their giving mice like 2 pounds of kush per mouse in 1 day word to the union with the monkey testing that they said was killing brain cells

I was having thoughts about this. I stopped smoking the tree's for a couple of weeks now, I felt like my lungs were getting !+*!*% up, I started to get this terrible cough. Maybe it was from something else, or smoking too much hookah.

I was having thoughts about this. I stopped smoking the tree's for a couple of weeks now, I felt like my lungs were getting !+*!*% up, I started to get this terrible cough. Maybe it was from something else, or smoking too much hookah.

Originally Posted by Tha Flashy One

[h1]Marijuana Is Now Linked To Cancer[/h1]

poorly written, poor evidence. and everytime you burn food you're eating you're consuming carcinogens that DO lead to cancer...so how about we all stop eating...and breathing the polluted air (also causes cancer).

Originally Posted by Tha Flashy One

[h1]Marijuana Is Now Linked To Cancer[/h1]

poorly written, poor evidence. and everytime you burn food you're eating you're consuming carcinogens that DO lead to cancer...so how about we all stop eating...and breathing the polluted air (also causes cancer).

in case anyone is interested...

http://
Eur J Immunol. 2010 Dec;40(12):3358-3371.
[h1]Cannabinoid receptor activation leads to massive mobilization of myeloid-derived suppressor cells with potent immunosuppressive properties.[/h1]
Hegde VL, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti PS.

Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, University of South Carolina, School of Medicine, Columbia, SC, USA.

[h3]Abstract[/h3]
Cannabinoid receptor activation by agents such as Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is known to trigger immune suppression. Here, we show that administration of THC in mice leads to rapid and massive expansion of CD11b(+)Gr-1(+) myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSC) expressing functional arginase and exhibiting potent immunosuppressive properties both in vitro and in vivo. The induction of MDSC by THC was associated with a significant increase in granulocyte CSF. Moreover, administration of anti-granulocyte CSF Ab inhibited the induction of MDSC by THC. THC was able to induce MDSC in TLR4 mutant C3H and C57BL10/ScN mice and hence acted independently of TLR4. Accumulation of MDSC in the periphery with a corresponding decrease in the proportion of CD11b(+)Gr-1(+) cells in the bone marrow, as well as in vivo BrdU labeling and cell-cycle analysis, showed that THC induced mobilization of these cells from bone marrow and their expansion in the periphery. Use of selective antagonists SR141716A and SR144528 against cannabinoid receptors 1 and 2, respectively, as well as receptor-deficient mice showed that induction of MDSC was mediated through activation of both cannabinoid receptors 1 and 2. These studies demonstrate that cannabinoid receptor signaling may play a crucial role in immune regulation via the induction of MDSC.

in case anyone is interested...

http://
Eur J Immunol. 2010 Dec;40(12):3358-3371.
[h1]Cannabinoid receptor activation leads to massive mobilization of myeloid-derived suppressor cells with potent immunosuppressive properties.[/h1]
Hegde VL, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti PS.

Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, University of South Carolina, School of Medicine, Columbia, SC, USA.

[h3]Abstract[/h3]
Cannabinoid receptor activation by agents such as Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is known to trigger immune suppression. Here, we show that administration of THC in mice leads to rapid and massive expansion of CD11b(+)Gr-1(+) myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSC) expressing functional arginase and exhibiting potent immunosuppressive properties both in vitro and in vivo. The induction of MDSC by THC was associated with a significant increase in granulocyte CSF. Moreover, administration of anti-granulocyte CSF Ab inhibited the induction of MDSC by THC. THC was able to induce MDSC in TLR4 mutant C3H and C57BL10/ScN mice and hence acted independently of TLR4. Accumulation of MDSC in the periphery with a corresponding decrease in the proportion of CD11b(+)Gr-1(+) cells in the bone marrow, as well as in vivo BrdU labeling and cell-cycle analysis, showed that THC induced mobilization of these cells from bone marrow and their expansion in the periphery. Use of selective antagonists SR141716A and SR144528 against cannabinoid receptors 1 and 2, respectively, as well as receptor-deficient mice showed that induction of MDSC was mediated through activation of both cannabinoid receptors 1 and 2. These studies demonstrate that cannabinoid receptor signaling may play a crucial role in immune regulation via the induction of MDSC.

Back
Top Bottom