Marcus Jordan wears PE Patent XIIs in UCF Exhibition Game & UCF Loses Adidas Contract........

Wrong about that up there. Adidas reps didn't say that, the recruiter did.
Ummmmmm no
[h2]UCF, adidas might end up in court[/h2]
By Iliana Limón Sentinel Staff Writer
November 6, 2009

The impact of UCF's messy divorce from adidas still is being calculated.

The university is awaiting official word that its relationship with the
shoe company is over. Adidas informed the Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday night that it was ending its long-time partnership with UCF because the school had failed to honor its contract by allowing freshman Marcus Jordan to wear the shoes made famous by his father, NBA legend Michael Jordan.

Adidas has not responded to media inquiries since releasing its initial statement, leaving numerous questions about how exactly it will go about cutting ties with UCF.

And no other shoe company has stepped forward publicly to take over for adidas, putting more pressure on Jordan, who triggered the split by wearing
Nike shoes during UCF's season-opening exhibition game Wednesday.

"It's a level of importance with the Jordan brand and my family," Marcus Jordan told the Sentinel last month. "I have a high level of respect for adidas, but I'm going to be wearing Jordan shoes."

UCF officials say they reached an agreement with adidas regional representatives to allow Jordan to wear Nike shoes despite the school's exclusive adidas contract. Higher-level adidas corporate officials later objected to Jordan being allowed to wear a competitor's shoes. UCF stood by the promise it made to Jordan that he could wear his father's shoes.

In response, adidas pulled the plug on a six-year shoe, apparel and equipment agreement valued at $3 million.

"It's admirable and honorable that UCF was willing to stand by a promise it made to a recruit, but it's sad to see a school that certainly could use the money take such a big risk and make such a big sacrifice for one player," said *!$# Irwin, director of the bureau of sport and leisure commerce at the University of Memphis. "I don't see how this could have ended any differently. It was predictable. Adidas couldn't risk undermining its contracts at other schools where athletes would want exemptions from the rules, and UCF felt like it had to protect its athlete."

A potential court date looms for UCF and adidas.

Adidas spokeswoman Andrea Corso said in an e-mail to the Sentinel late Wednesday, "The
University of Central Florida has chosen not to deliver on their contractual commitment to adidas. As a result, we have chosen not to continue our relationship with them moving forward." UCF Athletic Director Keith Tribble told the Sentinel on Wednesday night that he had not been notified adidas was ending its relationship with the school.

The university released another statement late Thursday afternoon saying it could not comment on the ongoing spat with the shoe company because its contract status remains unclear.

"UCF Athletics was engaged in legal discussions with adidas concerning the partnership and its future," the statement said. "UCF Athletics, as of this afternoon, has not heard from adidas regarding its current and future relationship with the Corporation. It is UCF Athletics' intention to fully discuss the matter and to provide information and detail as soon as it receives notice from adidas concerning its contract status."

Representatives from Nike's Jordan Brand and
Under Armour did not return phone calls seeking comment about their interest in taking over UCF's shoe and apparel contracts.

UCF Coach Kirk Speraw and other school officials continue to defend Jordan, who they say had approval from school and adidas officials to wear his father's shoes and did nothing wrong.

"Marcus is an outstanding young man," Speraw said. "Unfortunately, he has been portrayed by some media and some blogs, and the way they're portraying him is absolutely dead wrong. Marcus is exceptionally grounded, he's unpretentious, he's [an] unassuming, very thoughtful individual and he's been a great teammate with our guys."

Bill Sutton, associate director of UCF's DeVos Sport Business Management Program, said he had hoped the conflict would have ended differently.

"It's a sad situation," he said. "I really admire UCF honoring its promise to a recruit at a time when coaches think nothing of breaking those promises. ... I thought it could have been resolved if someone had filed an injunction and a judge had a chance to rule on athletes' rights to pick their own shoes. Instead, we move forward, and UCF hopes another shoe company offers them a contract."

#1 anybody else this would be no problem,
#2 they made the kid a promise then went back on it,
#3 the school backs the kid and the PROMISE THEY HAD FROM ADIDAS and Adi pulls the contract WHILE IN NEGOTIATIONS!

Survey says... B'move by the three stripes

Marcus and UCF are completely in the right here, had they said no from the jump Marcus could have easily chosen to go elsewhere and wear Nike. HopefullyJordan Brand laces the entire UCF squad with the illest JB gear they got

Originally Posted by aaronj

^ you mad?
i think he is...lol
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

-Tyler

Do you think he would have gotten away under the the radar if he took a sharpie and drew 3 big black stripes on his XII's? lol

Originally Posted by JinKazama

Wrong about that up there. Adidas reps didn't say that, the recruiter did.
Ummmmmm no
[h2]UCF, adidas might end up in court[/h2]
By Iliana Limón Sentinel Staff Writer
November 6, 2009

The impact of UCF's messy divorce from adidas still is being calculated.

The university is awaiting official word that its relationship with the
shoe company is over. Adidas informed the Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday night that it was ending its long-time partnership with UCF because the school had failed to honor its contract by allowing freshman Marcus Jordan to wear the shoes made famous by his father, NBA legend Michael Jordan.

Adidas has not responded to media inquiries since releasing its initial statement, leaving numerous questions about how exactly it will go about cutting ties with UCF.

And no other shoe company has stepped forward publicly to take over for adidas, putting more pressure on Jordan, who triggered the split by wearing
Nike shoes during UCF's season-opening exhibition game Wednesday.

"It's a level of importance with the Jordan brand and my family," Marcus Jordan told the Sentinel last month. "I have a high level of respect for adidas, but I'm going to be wearing Jordan shoes."

UCF officials say they reached an agreement with adidas regional representatives to allow Jordan to wear Nike shoes despite the school's exclusive adidas contract. Higher-level adidas corporate officials later objected to Jordan being allowed to wear a competitor's shoes. UCF stood by the promise it made to Jordan that he could wear his father's shoes.

In response, adidas pulled the plug on a six-year shoe, apparel and equipment agreement valued at $3 million.

"It's admirable and honorable that UCF was willing to stand by a promise it made to a recruit, but it's sad to see a school that certainly could use the money take such a big risk and make such a big sacrifice for one player," said *!$# Irwin, director of the bureau of sport and leisure commerce at the University of Memphis. "I don't see how this could have ended any differently. It was predictable. Adidas couldn't risk undermining its contracts at other schools where athletes would want exemptions from the rules, and UCF felt like it had to protect its athlete."

A potential court date looms for UCF and adidas.

Adidas spokeswoman Andrea Corso said in an e-mail to the Sentinel late Wednesday, "The
University of Central Florida has chosen not to deliver on their contractual commitment to adidas. As a result, we have chosen not to continue our relationship with them moving forward." UCF Athletic Director Keith Tribble told the Sentinel on Wednesday night that he had not been notified adidas was ending its relationship with the school.

The university released another statement late Thursday afternoon saying it could not comment on the ongoing spat with the shoe company because its contract status remains unclear.

"UCF Athletics was engaged in legal discussions with adidas concerning the partnership and its future," the statement said. "UCF Athletics, as of this afternoon, has not heard from adidas regarding its current and future relationship with the Corporation. It is UCF Athletics' intention to fully discuss the matter and to provide information and detail as soon as it receives notice from adidas concerning its contract status."

Representatives from Nike's Jordan Brand and
Under Armour did not return phone calls seeking comment about their interest in taking over UCF's shoe and apparel contracts.

UCF Coach Kirk Speraw and other school officials continue to defend Jordan, who they say had approval from school and adidas officials to wear his father's shoes and did nothing wrong.

"Marcus is an outstanding young man," Speraw said. "Unfortunately, he has been portrayed by some media and some blogs, and the way they're portraying him is absolutely dead wrong. Marcus is exceptionally grounded, he's unpretentious, he's [an] unassuming, very thoughtful individual and he's been a great teammate with our guys."

Bill Sutton, associate director of UCF's DeVos Sport Business Management Program, said he had hoped the conflict would have ended differently.

"It's a sad situation," he said. "I really admire UCF honoring its promise to a recruit at a time when coaches think nothing of breaking those promises. ... I thought it could have been resolved if someone had filed an injunction and a judge had a chance to rule on athletes' rights to pick their own shoes. Instead, we move forward, and UCF hopes another shoe company offers them a contract."

#1 anybody else this would be no problem,
#2 they made the kid a promise then went back on it,
#3 the school backs the kid and the PROMISE THEY HAD FROM ADIDAS and Adi pulls the contract WHILE IN NEGOTIATIONS!

Survey says... B'move by the three stripes

Marcus and UCF are completely in the right here, had they said no from the jump Marcus could have easily chosen to go elsewhere and wear Nike. Hopefully Jordan Brand laces the entire UCF squad with the illest JB gear they got

First of all an adidas regional representative should have no power to make those decisions. They are the people that come and handle small thingssuch as equipment orders. UCF should have went to the higher authorities at adidas when making the decision of allowing Marcus to wear his fathers shoes. Thinkof the regional representative authorization on making that decision like this. They are a security guard. Let's say they let you smoke weed and you askthe guard if it's okay and he says "yes". Okay, great..you are gonna get away with smoking some pot. But then while under that authorization youget busted by the police for smoking pot. And you say "Well, hold on officer. I have permission to smoke weed." And when you tell him you got it fromthe security guard working the area you are around he is going to laugh in your face, give you a ciation or take you to jail.

My point? Adidas is completely in the right for terminating their contract. I don't put the blame completely on Marcus, but more so on UCF and the regionaladidas representatives. They should have known better. It sounds like UCF just wanted to do whatever it took to get a Jordan to play at their school. And asfar as the representatives are concirned..they should have checked themselves. They set themselves up for failure.

They are a security guard. Let's say they let you smoke weed and you ask the guard if it's okay and he says "yes". Okay, great..you are gonna get away with smoking some pot. But then while under that authorization you get busted by the police for smoking pot. And you say "Well, hold on officer. I have permission to smoke weed." And when you tell him you got it from the security guard working the area you are around he is going to laugh in your face, give you a ciation or take you to jail.

ok your example is ridiculous...EVERYBODY knows smoking weed is illegal, getting permission from a security guard doesn't make the law change. Marcus didn't know if UCF and adidas would allow him to wear J's so he ASKED permission. It is more akin to legislation being introduced to make weedlegal or to allow medical marijuana rather than asking a security guard.

First of all an adidas regional representative should have no power to make those decisions. They are the people that come and handle small things such as equipment orders. UCF should have went to the higher authorities at adidas when making the decision of allowing Marcus to wear his fathers shoes.

Ok in a company the size of adidas I doubt very highly the dealings of "UCF" rise to senior managment. I am pretty sure the regionalreps wrote, negotiated and approved the contract. Furthermore the school consulted who they deal with on a daily basis, if the rep doesn't have theauthority to make that so it's the reps responsibility to kick that up the ladder to who can...not UCF's or Marcus's.

No matter how you slice it UCF, and Jordan handled this appropriately, it is obvious it was Adidas who dropped the ball on this. All they had to do was say nofrom jump street and let the right hand know what the left was doing. Had they done that all this is avoided.

patiently waiting for JB & Nike to come with an agreement and sponsor UCF
nerd.gif

UCF Football with Nike type jerseys (Miami, Oregon, V-Tech, Kentucky)
pimp.gif

*PLUS*

UCF Basketball in JB
pimp.gif

If i was on the team or played ANY sport at UCF I be would thanking Marcus if Nike picks this up
glasses.gif

They are a security guard. Let's say they let you smoke weed and you ask the guard if it's okay and he says "yes". Okay, great..you are gonna get away with smoking some pot. But then while under that authorization you get busted by the police for smoking pot. And you say "Well, hold on officer. I have permission to smoke weed." And when you tell him you got it from the security guard working the area you are around he is going to laugh in your face, give you a ciation or take you to jail.
ok your example is ridiculous...EVERYBODY knows smoking weed is illegal, getting permission from a security guard doesn't make the law change. Marcus didn't know if UCF and adidas would allow him to wear J's so he ASKED permission. It is more akin to legislation being introduced to make weed legal or to allow medical marijuana rather than asking a security guard.

First of all an adidas regional representative should have no power to make those decisions. They are the people that come and handle small things such as equipment orders. UCF should have went to the higher authorities at adidas when making the decision of allowing Marcus to wear his fathers shoes.

Ok in a company the size of adidas I doubt very highly the dealings of "UCF" rise to senior managment. I am pretty sure the regional reps wrote, negotiated and approved the contract. Furthermore the school consulted who they deal with on a daily basis, if the rep doesn't have the authority to make that so it's the reps responsibility to kick that up the ladder to who can...not UCF's or Marcus's.

No matter how you slice it UCF, and Jordan handled this appropriately, it is obvious it was Adidas who dropped the ball on this. All they had to do was say no from jump street and let the right hand know what the left was doing. Had they done that all this is avoided.
Well it IS illegal for someone to wear shoes other then what is contracted to a schools athletic program. Marcus just wanted special permission towear what he wanted just because he asked SOMEONE doesn't mean that SOMEONE had fully authority to give permission. So as ridiculous as my examplemaybe..it still holds ground. And NO UCF didn't handle it appropriately. They handled this manner with no regard to their million plus contract. If theyreally cared about that..they would have made 100% sure they this incident wouldn't have affected the contract they had. The reps dropped the ball and UCFdropped they ball.

And NO UCF didn't handle it appropriately. They handled this manner with no regard to their million plus contract. If they really cared about that..they would have made 100% sure they this incident wouldn't have affected the contract they had. The reps dropped the ball and UCF dropped they ball.

If they had no regard for their contract they wouldn't have even asked adi they would have just said wear what you want Marcus.

We can agree to disagree but I don't know what else UCF could have done to be more "100% sure"....So when the rep came back and said it was fineUCF was supposed to say, "who did you ask...are you sure...we don't believe you need more people...we want to hear the CEO say its ok...we need acontract written in blood to make it official" oh by the way a UCF football player asked for a similar exemption for a different reason and Adi ok'dit. All the more reason for UCF to not doubt the rep, again, it is the REPS job to make sure he can make things so, not UCFs. By their standard they were100% sure and the precedent set by the football player reinforced that belief.

And NO UCF didn't handle it appropriately. They handled this manner with no regard to their million plus contract. If they really cared about that..they would have made 100% sure they this incident wouldn't have affected the contract they had. The reps dropped the ball and UCF dropped they ball.
If they had no regard for their contract they wouldn't have even asked adi they would have just said wear what you want Marcus.

We can agree to disagree but I don't know what else UCF could have done to be more "100% sure"....So when the rep came back and said it was fine UCF was supposed to say, "who did you ask...are you sure...we don't believe you need more people...we want to hear the CEO say its ok...we need a contract written in blood to make it official" oh by the way a UCF football player asked for a similar exemption for a different reason and Adi ok'd it. All the more reason for UCF to not doubt the rep, again, it is the REPS job to make sure he can make things so, not UCFs. By their standard they were 100% sure and the precedent set by the football player reinforced that belief.

Yes, as a matter of fact they should have checked on the situation as high up as they could have. Since it's "God's Son" thatthey were going to make a special condition for. Not just any UCF player that would never get any attention from the media. UCF could have easily seen thiscoming from a mile away.

I was actually working at the game last week. First thing I did when they came out was check the man's kicks..... I'm just hoping Nike/JB comes in andsaves the day for us. I will be rockin sooooo much Nike UCF gear.

daddy better hook them up with shoe quality you can play ball in without getting blisters... my cdp XI's are killing me.

Adidas should have never said it was "okay" for Marcus Jordan to wear Air Jordans on the court for UCF if they really did have a problem with it.

But at the same time, UCF should have had a contractual stipulation involving Marcus Jordan's choice of game worn shoes. That way Adidas couldn'tweasel out of a contract.

Sadly enough, Marcus Jordan seems to be in the news more because of who his father is and his choice of sneakers than his quality of play on the basketballcourt...not a good sign. Especially considering the team just lost their 2 million dollar sponsor...fair or not.
tired.gif

i think itll be stupid if mj's son was rockn adidas cuz who wudnt wear dere familys products????

Back
Top Bottom