Maldives girl to get 100 lashes for being raped!

kdawg

Staff member
:x

A 15-year-old rape victim has been sentenced to 100 lashes for engaging in premarital sex, court officials said.

The charges against the girl were brought against her last year after police investigated accusations that her stepfather had raped her and killed their baby. He is still to face trial.

Prosecutors said her conviction did not relate to the rape case.

Amnesty International condemned the punishment as "cruel, degrading and inhumane".

The government said it did not agree with the punishment and that it would look into changing the law.

Wow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21595814

Beautiful place but some really messed up laws.

I'm all for respecting others' culture. I get that. Different place, different rules, different way of living. Cool.
But I can't understand, for the life of me, how people can believe this is the way to treat someone who has been raped.
I just can't.

****** ridiculous that this is still happening in 2013.

"We need to respect others' culture."

**** that noise. Slavery was part of our culture.

I think the 100 lashes was for the premarital sex. They found out about the premarital sex when her step father raped her. Thats how I'm reading it.

I don't think its get raped = 100 lashes.

Its still eff up doe.

Last edited:
I think the 100 lashes was for the premarital sex. They found out about the premarital sex when her step father raped her. Thats how I'm reading it.

Its still eff up doe.
aight then... I was like "damb... that's cold blooded"

Still cold blooded... wish everyone could come to America and be praised for being sloots

Won't she die before she gets to 100?

That's a LOT.  

Aren't lashings very brutal and bloody? Like rip right into her back after about 10?

I'm making a poster and brochure about the place. Beautiful country but this is *** backwards

Its still eff up doe.

I read it as the only sex is the rape - but it's hard to tell if that's the case - it could mean that while investigating the rape they found out about other stuff - still no excuse though.

The Amnesty International quote makes it sound like it is the case though.

100 is a lot too. There is a number that is basically a death sentence but 100 will do a lot if damage - it's not a spanking, it's a significant beating with a long switch.

I read a few other sources that clarify that it isn't the rape she's being punished for (although I've heard of that before) but a consensual relationship with someone else.

Clearly that's not nearly as important as her stepfather raping her and then killing the baby though...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom