Making a living Vol. LEARN HOW TO TIP

Originally Posted by MR FREEZE

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Originally Posted by Glockwork3

@most people comin at me about getting a better job, when i can find something that pays more than $15 hr/avg i will.  

Do you have a college degree?

The bottom line:
- Great service = good tip, 20% or more.
- Bad service = little to no tip, 10% or less.
- Average service = average tip, 15%.

- I can't believe you're complaining about tips.  I'm expecting to be close to $100k in debt after I graduate from student loans, you can go suck a **** and make up the money you got stiffed on
30t6p3b.gif
reported *
says the guy that tried to takeover niketalk twice and failed twice

Honestly I would have no problem with tipping if the waiters/waitresses explained why they should get a tip while I am actually eating at the restaurant. They could go over all that percentage stuff and how it is allocated to all employees involved.

I do tip but its usually 15% and I have to do it subconsciously. If I have to think about it, I prolly Will not do it.

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

I'm kind of over this thread always popping up, and people not understanding the concept at all.

1.  Servers don't just bring you your food.  Way more crap is involved, like setting up an entire restaurant (carrying tables, chairs, etc), cleaning, prepping food, etc. 
2.  Servers are pretty much your slave while you are eating.  If you think you deserve to be treated like royalty but can't front the dollar to match your standards then perhaps maybe its you at fault.
3.  The tip doesn't all go to the server.  Many places to a pool house, where all tips are shared... or tip out something like this: food runner- 19%, busser 13-16%, bar 5%.. so the server is actually making around half of what you tip them.  So you think its adequate to expect someone to be your slave for an hour, maybe multiple hours, for $2-$5?  People have some nerve.  Of course, if the server isn't doing a good job then by all means don't tip properly. 

I believe people should work hard for their money.  But imagine you slave away to someone, come to their every need at every second, and they give you $5, which actually means about $2.50.  Then people tell you to get a retail job... but retail jobs start at $10 an hour, leaving you with way less after taxes.  Or they tell you to get a better job, but don't notice that many people working in the service industry are actually students putting themselves through school so they can obtain that better job.  And if all the servers take that great advice from everyone saying to not be a server, who would be there for you to treat you like you're the most important person during that time period while you're eating your steak?  We live in a society in the United States where tipping is customary.  If you don't like the idea of tipping someone for being your servant then maybe you should just take your food to go or not go out at all.

They're not even close to being slaves.

Plus, they're not just serving you - they could have a bunch of tables and each one of them could be worth $20 so that adds up to quite a decent hourly rate.

I'm not saying you shouldn't tip - just that both sides here are exaggerating.

The problem clearly lies in the fact that restaurants paying low wages historically and relying on that being topped up by tips. That needs to change before anything else does.

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

laugh.gif
Boy you got some nerve... telling us to learn how to tip and have sympathy for your !%! ain't gonna work.

We might as well tell you to get a better job! Get some an education and expand your options! Don't post in a forum *****ing at people how to spend THEIR money!

But a lot of people are in school and supporting their school payments by working in the service industry.....

Oh cool.

Well I was working hard labor for minimum wage just to pay off school and help my parents when they were going through bankruptcy. Cookies anyone?

Originally Posted by kdawg

I'm kind of over this thread always popping up, and people not understanding the concept at all.

1.  Servers don't just bring you your food.  Way more crap is involved, like setting up an entire restaurant (carrying tables, chairs, etc), cleaning, prepping food, etc. 
2.  Servers are pretty much your slave while you are eating.  If you think you deserve to be treated like royalty but can't front the dollar to match your standards then perhaps maybe its you at fault.
3.  The tip doesn't all go to the server.  Many places to a pool house, where all tips are shared... or tip out something like this: food runner- 19%, busser 13-16%, bar 5%.. so the server is actually making around half of what you tip them.  So you think its adequate to expect someone to be your slave for an hour, maybe multiple hours, for $2-$5?  People have some nerve.  Of course, if the server isn't doing a good job then by all means don't tip properly. 

I believe people should work hard for their money.  But imagine you slave away to someone, come to their every need at every second, and they give you $5, which actually means about $2.50.  Then people tell you to get a retail job... but retail jobs start at $10 an hour, leaving you with way less after taxes.  Or they tell you to get a better job, but don't notice that many people working in the service industry are actually students putting themselves through school so they can obtain that better job.  And if all the servers take that great advice from everyone saying to not be a server, who would be there for you to treat you like you're the most important person during that time period while you're eating your steak?  We live in a society in the United States where tipping is customary.  If you don't like the idea of tipping someone for being your servant then maybe you should just take your food to go or not go out at all.

Plus, they're not just serving you - they could have a bunch of tables and each one of them could be worth $20 so that adds up to quite a decent hourly rate.

The problem clearly lies in the fact that restaurants paying low wages historically and relying on that being topped up by tips. That needs to change before anything else does.

and when that changes, the price of every item on the menu skyrockets, they cut employees, and now we complain about food prices and how our waiters don't care about us because they're already getting paid no matter how bad the service.

Servers need to stop feeling entitled to a substantial amount of money. I see illegal immigrants busting their backs doing construction and building the restaurants you work in and cheap apartments you throw your stupid house parties in with people you went to high school with for MUCH less than what a waiter makes.

Originally Posted by ErickM713

You're an idiot 
laugh.gif

I'm a VERY generous tipper, but it's waiters like you that think just because you brought me my food you're entitled to the $10 I'm considering leaving you.

If my food took too long I won't knock off any tip, that the cooks fault, if you only come give me 2 refills and I'm not even done with my meal and you straight ignore me, you're getting deducted, if you don't come around every once in a while and ask if everything's alright with our food, you're not gonna get tipped.

Honestly, you don't deserve @+%+ dude 
laugh.gif

Quit whining, I make 7.25 working the stockroom at Sears, I have reason to complain, I'm underpaid and I don't have benefits.
I hurt my back yesterday, and it's still killing me right now, but I'm not gonna report it because it's gonna cut my hours badly.

Get a better job and grow a pair 
eyes.gif

@most people comin at me about getting a better job, when i can find something that pays more than $15 hr/avg i will.  
Son you just said you was making $2 an hour now you want at LEAST 15. FOH chump

Yo dude you aint my barber
I understand what your saying but I'm broke as can be. I can only tip a barber at the moment 
tired.gif

Demanding that people earning $8/hr should subsidize your dreams of making $15/hr is insulting.  You don't deserve that kind of money as a waiter.  If anyone should be recieving large tips it's the cooks.  I'm not going out to enjoy your service.  I'm there for the food.

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by kdawg

and when that changes, the price of every item on the menu skyrockets, they cut employees, and now we complain about food prices and how our waiters don't care about us because they're already getting paid no matter how bad the service.
technically they get paid no matter how bad the service now.  and only so many restaurants can stay in business with really bad service. 

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

OP your not bright. u walk to the kitchen and bring a plate. you dont even clean the bus boy does that. i just pay about doube tax and round it either down or up so the final amount is an exact amount.
the pizza man deserves more than you and i give the pizza man more

funny, i get your drinks, take your orders, bring your plates, clear your plates.  Then when you leave and all is done i clean the table, reset anything you used (sugar salt pepper etc) then pull the table/booth and bissel/sweep everything on the floor.  sooo yea..
I'm really content with my job, just the very few people that leave a few dollars on a 30+ dollar bill leave me 
ohwell.gif
.  it's definitely worth serving i just need a place to let it out

So I get the same quality service at applebees and red lobster but Im suppose to tip more at the red lobster cuz the food cost more,CRAZY!the best service I ever had was at a freakin whataburger because the employee wasnt bein fake expecting a tip,they were just slow and she was bein nice,she earned herself a tip.

OP your not bright. u walk to the kitchen and bring a plate. you dont even clean the bus boy does that. i just pay about doube tax and round it either down or up so the final amount is an exact amount.

funny, i get your drinks, take your orders, bring your plates, clear your plates.  Then when you leave and all is done i clean the table, reset anything you used (sugar salt pepper etc) then pull the table/booth and bissel/sweep everything on the floor.  sooo yea..
thats just doing your job though...
i still agree people should tip.  but like the dude ^^^^ said, its foolish to think people making $8/hr can/should be subsidizing a waiter's hourly

I'm really content with my job, just the very few people that leave a few dollars on a 30+ dollar bill leave me 
ohwell.gif
.  it's definitely worth serving i just need a place to let it out

there's no technical skill or knowledge when it comes to being a server, they're easily replaced, this may be one of the reasons why their wages are so low

but then there's higher end restaurants that require servers to fully understand the menus, specials, etc, and this type of expectation gives way to higher wages

the money made isn't due to the consumer not tipping, but rather the server not being qualified enough to work at a better restaurant with higher wages

Some of you guys are sounding like real @%*+%%+ right now, making bible long rants about how you think you should be treated at restaurants. Youre at a restaurant, not a brothel. Some of the stuff you guys are expecting is ridiculous, like dude who said he hates getting his check when he doesnt ask for it, then goes on and @%*+%%+ about how he hates waiting for his check.. come on son. Myself, I tip about 15% on average, 20% if the service was outstanding, and never stiffed no matter how bad the service was.

OP you need to get the f out of here with that 30%. I dont care if Kim K served me butt +@% naked while executing a handstand, 30% is pushin it.

Tipping is optional, so restaurants need to enforce mandatory tipping if they're going to whine and complain every time someone chooses not to tip.

No one should have to tip just because it's expected. That defeats the entire purpose. There shouldn't be the fear of poor treatment. This sense of entitlement is absurd.

Also, I made this point in a previous topic and I'm open to being correct if it was not true. As far as I'm aware, you can't actually earn less than minimum wage. The restaurant must compensate you until your paycheck comes out to minimum wage per hour.

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

yall parents aint raise you right. Like the absolute nerve of yall. I pray to god yall clowns stay in your small circle of apple bees and red lobsters with the mentality you come into restaurants with. Straight disgusting
sick.gif
They should straight up be banning people from restaurants for some of this foolishness. It's all pay the waiters more / get a better job til your 20 dollars plate is now 35 to cover the cost of paying employees.

roll.gif

some of you waiter are delusional.

dude stereotyping bad tippers as soon as they walk in, i bet you half %!# the service for these "bad tippers" too.

white rich couple walks in "oh hell yeah im gonna bust my %!#"

right?

on a side note. move to cali. youll make minimum plus your tip.

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least thefederal minimum wage to covered, nonexemptemployees.  An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour indirect wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimumwage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receivesmore than $30 a month in tips.

If an employee's tips combined with the employer's directwages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employermust make up the difference.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

Originally Posted by offbad

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least thefederal minimum wage to covered, nonexemptemployees.  An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour indirect wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimumwage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receivesmore than $30 a month in tips.

If an employee's tips combined with the employer's directwages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employermust make up the difference.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

/thread

Back
Top Bottom