MacBook Air or Pro for college?

I know you said you are settled...but for the price of a Mac book Air....you can get an ultra book that is better spec for spec and will do everything you need it for.

$550 is a good price of an air if you are buying the used one from your friend. But keep options open if money is a concern.

get something other than the apple.

you get a lot more for your money on some of the windows pc out there. they got some crazy tech in them now, just like the phones apple behind, but ahead in hype.

love those ones where you can detach the screen and its a tablet, but if need full keyboard, click and its a notebook. they all thin now too. some even with bluray drives.

if your school dont require a mac, dont fall for hype.

Now see you just sound like a total hater against anything Apple.

I can't believe how many people in this world swear that something isn't good just because of the "hype" that it receives. Apple makes damn good computers year in and year out and this is seen by tons of websites reviewing them.

Can you get better specs for your price? Yes. Can you get a better experience of using your computer? No.

get something other than the apple.

you get a lot more for your money on some of the windows pc out there. they got some crazy tech in them now, just like the phones apple behind, but ahead in hype.

love those ones where you can detach the screen and its a tablet, but if need full keyboard, click and its a notebook. they all thin now too. some even with bluray drives.

if your school dont require a mac, dont fall for hype.
Now see you just sound like a total hater against anything Apple.

I can't believe how many people in this world swear that something isn't good just because of the "hype" that it receives. Apple makes damn good computers year in and year out and this is seen by tons of websites reviewing them.

Can you get better specs for your price? Yes. Can you get a better experience of using your computer? No.
iOS > windows, but Apple hardware is junk.

My MBP is nothing more than a paperweight at this point.

It's OSX not iOS and apple gets quite a few things wrong, but the hardware definitely isn't it.

It's OSX not iOS and apple gets quite a few things wrong, but the hardware definitely isn't it.

yea right, i gotta clean the damn charger connector pins with a little stick every day because the damn things stay pushed in and the damn comp (rMBP) wont charge. Like how i gotta pay almost 2 g's for a comp and then use a toothpick to make it work lol

yea right, i gotta clean the damn charger connector pins with a little stick every day because the damn things stay pushed in and the damn comp (rMBP) wont charge. Like how i gotta pay almost 2 g's for a comp and then use a toothpick to make it work lol

Probs didnt take care of it

First read these reviews:

http://gizmodo.com/5923184/macbook-...est-laptop-for-regular-people?tag=macbook-air 

http://gizmodo.com/5917354/the-new-macbook-air-is-the-greatest-ever

Second you should know the macbook air was made for people in college. Don't just go off of specs, it out performs a standard macbook pro. Its much lighter and easier to carry. As a college student myself I have typed numerous papers on here and I can't tell the difference. The Macbook pros will be phased out within a year or two (replaced with the retina models) and the airs are definitely the future. 

Third- Buy one when apple is running their education discount which starts in around June. It will knock off $50 off a MBA and you will get cheaper applecare, which you definitely should buy. They also include a $100 gift card which can be used in iTunes and the appstore, through which you can buy iWork, which is $20 a piece for Keynote, Pages, and Numbers. If you don't like it then just buy a student license for office, it should be discounted to around $50 but I'm not sure. Do not buy the one on one service though, as everything they teach you can learn online. Do not buy any accessories off them either. If you buy a standard 13" air with applecare with the education discount, it should cost around $1,400 including tax, give or take. 

I would recommend you go play with one in a store and see the feel for it. The other windows products at this price range are either laggy, weak, or flimsy. The price is there for a reason. If you do feel you want a little bit more performance, upgrade to 8 GB of ram, which is $100 iirc. If you really want the latest and greatest, wait until after June to buy it. Apple has their annual WWDC early June where they launch new models so any upgrade to the Air would come then. Likely newer processors or cheaper or better specs. It helps to wait. 

I didn't read much of the thread but I hope this answers some of your questions. If you have any questions PM me and i'll forward you to the right information or answer them myself. I strongly urge you to go with a 13" Air over a 13" Pro or 13" Retina Pro. For a 15" you might as well get the Retina 15". 

I just bought an 11 inch air to just use for music, email, web surfing

I absolutely LOVE it and its portability

I haggled an open box at Best Buy for $700

I just bought an 11 inch air to just use for music, email, web surfing

I absolutely LOVE it and its portability

I haggled an open box at Best Buy for $700

Man that's what's up. That 11 is straight portable. I could see myself having one down the road.

Man that's what's up. That 11 is straight portable. I could see myself having one down the road.

It's seriously amazing, I played around with those windows 8 touch screens and they SUCK

I had a MacBook Pro until Dec and it was good but a bit heavy for my liking

From what you described id say go with the air, and getting one for $550 aint bad but you might need an external, Air hds fill up pretty fast.

just dont go spending $1000s on a computer your not using to its full potential

if you miss the $550 one, you can also save money and cop an 09 or 10 Pro for around the same price, thats all you need

you can upgrade the ram and hd at anytime, run windows on it, and that disk drive is still handy, plus other features

my 09 15'' pro is a beast, upgraded everything, put windows on it, still runs like butter, and can do whatever i need :smokin

Can you upgrade the ram on the rMBPs after the fact or do you have to do it while ordering?

And also, are they rolling out new MBPs this summer? If so, I just might wait and pickup an older air to hold me down.

Can you upgrade the ram on the rMBPs after the fact or do you have to do it while ordering?

And also, are they rolling out new MBPs this summer? If so, I just might wait and pickup an older air to hold me down.

It's soldered in place and proprietary, eventually some one will come up with a guide on how to do it, but it'll probably require the use of a soldering iron and a steady hand.

I have a 27" iMac for home, and a 11" air that I use just for college, it's perfect if some of your classrooms have only the small wooden flap to write on

If it's your only laptop, then get the 13" air 

1. didnt need to do that with pc
2. had it for only 3 months

..other than that, no complaints

1. didnt need to do that with pc
2. had it for only 3 months

..other than that, no complaints
In my case, the logic board went out TWICE. Second time I was out of warranty. Turns out Apple put out MBP's with faulty nvidia video cards.  I babied that POS too. Thanks Apple.

I got the air :pimp: trying to reboot it right now but it's not letting me because I didn't buy osx mountain lion with my apple id.. What do I do?

Back
Top Bottom