MacBook Air or Pro for college?

D

Deleted member 87369

I need a laptop for school and am very familiar with Mac so I was looking into the choices. Which would you guys recommend? I know a pro is better/has more features but I just need something so I can type papers on and do work on online classes and simple stuff like using the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a laptop for school and am very familiar with Mac so I was looking into the choices. Which would you guys recommend? I know a pro is better/has more features but I just need something so I can type papers on and do work on online classes and simple stuff like using the web.
I know you want a Mac, but you just described exactly why you don't need to spend $1000+ on a computer in your last sentence. Feel free to stimulate the economy though.

My suggestion, whichever is cheaper.

Last edited:
go with air, its still very good obviously but i just dont like how thin it is.

Go pro son. I have since 2008 with my black macbook and it's still running strong. If I had to choose between your choices, I would buy the pro.

I know you want a Mac, but you just described exactly why you don't need to spend $1000+ on a computer in your last sentence. Feel free to stimulate the economy though.

My suggestion, whichever is cheaper.
I use my girls Mac and my brothers HP laptop now for when I do schoolwork and Mac>HP

Pro.  Compared to my friend's air, I have feel as though I have more utility.

I have a Macbook Air. I only bring it to school when I have to go to the library to study or type up a paper tho.

I stick with the notebook and pen for notes in class cause I find myself memorizing it better when I write it down. More convenient to keep notes on a notebook as well.

Sounds like all you really need is a standard Dell, especially since adding Microsoft (Most online teachers work isn't Mac friendly yet and they make you turn in stuff using Word) to your Mac is going to be an additional cost. 

For what you plan on using it for, it doesn't matter between the two. A Mac's a Mac. Yambs will flock regardless. Hell, do yourself a favor and buy from craigslist. Save yourself a cup-o-hunnids.

With what you've described needing it for, go for a refurb Air. If I had to do it again (and I did it in the PPC days) unless I was taking a lot of classes where I'd need the extra horsepower in class I'd just get something to get me through and get a few minis to work as a render farm.

Sounds like all you really need is a standard Dell, especially since adding Microsoft (Most online teachers work isn't Mac friendly yet and they make you turn in stuff using Word) to your Mac is going to be an additional cost. 

Check with the school though, I know I got Office for Free when I was in school, they had some agreement with Microsoft where we got a lot of software for free, and if that's the case at OP's school he could also get Windows and install it on a bootcamp partition for when you HAVE to turn in documents done in windows.

I have a MacBook Air and I don't regret the purchase one bit.  It should be able to handle all of the work that you need to get done and it's a solid piece of machinery.

I'm contemplating because I know a guy from my church selling a 13 inch air for $550 or I'd wait and either cop a pro or air from eBay or Craigslist but idk if ill get this deal again

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm contemplating because I know a guy from my church selling a 13 inch air for $550 or I'd wait and either cop a pro or air from eBay or Craigslist but idk if ill get this deal again

$550 is not a bad price. use an external HD for your music and movies and you're set. :pimp:

15 inch pro is the God Laptop. But I`m debating on doing an Air X 27 in iMac Combo when my money gets right, but my 09 15 inch Pro still run like butter

Back
Top Bottom