Lupe Fiasco Drogas Waves out now - Who needs 7 tracks for a great album?

based off my first listen, I'm not feelin the album too much. dont think its bad tho. the lyrics and hooks are on point, a lot of the beats just sound kinda dull to me. maybe they'll grow on me after a few listens. I also wasnt feelin T&Y at first but that turned out to be one of my fav albums lol

I need a video for “down.”

Lol.

Fish is my friends and the whales is my homies
Octopuses my people, the shrimp, they all know me
The sharks is my ******, the dolphins is with us
The crabs is my comrades, the seahorse be holdin' us down
Jellyfish, they just be rollin' around
Lobsters is cool, they are not food
They're part of the crew
And that mean they're down (and that mean they're down)

Can't wait to finish this album. I have the last 3/4 left. Loving the nautical theme and the entendres. Also after all this time, I never really looked into Chilly's case/story. Lu really was out there in the "skreets". Anyone familiar with the story?

not super familiar but i know a lot of the early stuff was all drug entendre's from Lu. Kick push is about selling drugs (cops came and said there ain't no skating here...was a story of selling on the corner and skating). And when he would reference red and blue pills it was an analogy to heroin caps (as well as the matrix)

Lu was the first rapper to really make my head spin. I always was in complete aww at his ability to make one single word mean 3-4 things.

Can't wait to finish this album. I have the last 3/4 left. Loving the nautical theme and the entendres. Also after all this time, I never really looked into Chilly's case/story. Lu really was out there in the "skreets". Anyone familiar with the story?

Here you go.

Yea the album is really good. Gotta listen a few times of course, but damn...

A lot of that Chilly story is weaved throughout the music.

Lupe the Killer is basically an admission, if you listen close enough.:lol:

I'm Colonel Mustard with the speech
They ain't catchin' me, no suspicions of stickin'
No convictions on my rap sheet
I'm so committing
lay my murder game,that's sweet
Speakeasy like Prohibition, no admission
If you ain't knocking like me to the underground bar, burying a toast
Dodging the raid like roach, ***** please

Since my entrance, my ****** had packs
They moved em to a trap like Winston
Far from bustas, baby nah
All my homies henchmen
I was the rhymer, my talk went through the walls like Slimer
Or like, eating vagina
Or, a stray bullet, whichever ways I put it
Crooks was hooked like crooks through neighborhoods I pushed it
Little Caesar ****** pizzas was like "book it"
Delivery mean like Leroy Green
They couldn't take it to the places I took it
Beware, you don't look it
You ain't dressed for this affair
I'm hooded in the bushes like uh

A lot of that Chilly story is weaved throughout the music.

Lupe the Killer is basically an admission, if you listen close enough.:lol:

I'm Colonel Mustard with the speech
They ain't catchin' me, no suspicions of stickin'
No convictions on my rap sheet
I'm so committing
lay my murder game,that's sweet
Speakeasy like Prohibition, no admission
If you ain't knocking like me to the underground bar, burying a toast
Dodging the raid like roach, ***** please

Since my entrance, my *****s had packs
They moved em to a trap like Winston
Far from bustas, baby nah
All my homies henchmen
I was the rhymer, my talk went through the walls like Slimer
Or like, eating vagina
Or, a stray bullet, whichever ways I put it
Crooks was hooked like crooks through neighborhoods I pushed it
Little Caesar *****s pizzas was like "book it"
Delivery mean like Leroy Green
They couldn't take it to the places I took it
Beware, you don't look it
You ain't dressed for this affair
I'm hooded in the bushes like uh

Man...

Folks weren't paying attention AT ALL. :lol: :smh:

Never listened to Lupe. Should I give this a listen ?
@kingfoamnyc I can't comment on the new project, but if you want to start diving into Lupe's music, I think The Cool is a good one to start with. It's the most accessible of his projects but stays true to his skill and offers a lot of meaning if you pay close attention.

Gonna give the new project a listen in the coming days. Loved Tetsuo and based on what I've read about this new one, I'm beyond excited but want to give it the attention it deserves.

After running it back 3 times this is a very dope album.

Sound wise it has a very 90s underground digging in the crates vibe to it, some Jazzamataz, and a touch of Strange Fruit. Minus the few songs that got that Lasers sound with futuristic type beat and chick in the hook.

Did he do the website rollout like most hip hop releases in 2018?

He has done very little promotion for this album outside of IG and twitter, but he has Merch to go with it:
https://prizecrew.us/

This album is something special for his hardcore fans.

Being a huge huge fan of his, he's my #1, i am beyond satisfied with this album. It's everything I love about him, subject matter, narratives, wordplay, flow, complexity, poetry all in his own unique way. I also think he pays tribute to a lot of other artists that influenced him throughout this album. King Nas is actually not about Nas at all, it's about his nephews, but you can't tell me that his flow and opening line "ghetto methology colonizes my mine constantly" doesn't sound like Nas.

Just getting this album out was a huge obstacle in itself, and it does not disappoint.

He has done very little promotion for this album outside of IG and twitter, but he has Merch to go with it:
https://prizecrew.us/

This album is something special for his hardcore fans.

Being a huge huge fan of his, he's my #1, i am beyond satisfied with this album. It's everything I love about him, subject matter, narratives, wordplay, flow, complexity, poetry all in his own unique way. I also think he pays tribute to a lot of other artists that influenced him throughout this album. King Nas is actually not about Nas at all, it's about his nephews, but you can't tell me that his flow and opening line "ghetto methology colonizes my mine constantly" doesn't sound like Nas.

Just getting this album out was a huge obstacle in itself, and it does not disappoint.
Black King poetic with Nat King’s asthetic.

Basically summed up my thoughts. I think Lupe has ascended to #1 to me too with this album. He was always in my top 5, but this is undeniably great.

Amazing work. And to know that he put it together with a limited budget...man. You can tell this story is from his heart. Helps that Lupe is easily one of the best storytellers we’ve ever had.

This album is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom