Luck (season 1) thread Vol. Pilot *Sneak Peak (12/11 10PM EST)*

bkmac

Banned
Luck-Poster-HBO.jpg

The pilot of the newest HBO show will be aired after Boardwalk tonight as a sneak peak. Doesn't start up until January 29th.

Season 1 Trailer

Did anyone watch? I thought it was pretty good. Definitely a show with room for great dialogue and character development.

IDK why, but I thought from the trailers that I've seen, the show was set not in modern day. I'm glad it is modern day though, and not from the 70s-80s or whenever.

Dustin Hoffman has been my dude since I randomly saw Papillon on TV, some from the tuck, I'm like ok, I'll give it a shot.
THEN you're telling me the creator of Deadwood made it, and the director of Heat did the pilot. *weebey* OD

So I just finished watching it.
Now, I thought the pilot for Homeland was great, but this was amazing.

Man...I got Seabiscuit on VHS somewhere
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
, but this was the first time I cared about horse racing. Had me feeling like Friday Night Lights.

And it took minutes for me to get into this. With some shows, it takes half the season...lemme stop...15 minutes in when it started moving, all of the sudden this 'I dunno about it show' became...%*@% you mean I gotta wait a month?'

And the style. There are so many shows that shoot beautiful. You know what I mean. Like Boss or The Killing and cinematography are pretty great, but the show itself...the substance...ehhhhh. This show hits you lowkey. The style doesn't exactly feel like it's there until it creeps up on you. It's everyday art. The show has that street graffiti, old school, lived-in type of flow and I'm not talking How To Make It In America. Older.

I hope this wasn't all Michael Mann. I seen enough shows where the movie director does a great pilot and that's the best the show's gonna be.

They just planted these seeds all over the place. Nick Nolte as the horse scout. The jockey, the stableowner, the horse doctor, the security guard, the gamblers. I can feel this world growing around it. Degenerate gamblers and horse racing. Never would've thought that'd be a show for me.

Co-sign the pilot at least. Good look.

i thought the pilot was very entertaining, and like MrOnegative mentioned, the cinematography was excellent.

maybe its just me, but did anyone else have any problems following the dialogue, specifically the industry lingo? While I feel that I got the gist of it, I felt that I missed some of the details because I dont really understand horse betting lingo.

The one thing I'd want is them to focus on the gambling aspect, the degenerate gamblers and all that. It seems like Dustin Hoffman will drive this show into a more dramatic storyline involving Horse Racing, not really ABOUT horse racing and gambling.

I'm a big gambling fan, so I want to see a show exploit it.

Good enough to keep watching. The season preview montage seemed absurdly different from the content of this pilot.

Back
Top Bottom