Lol is college all about internships?

Originally Posted by likethematrix

a college degree only tells companies that you know how to LISTEN, TAKE ORDERS, and DO YOUR WORK ON TIME.
thats all college is for.
internships lets the company know if you can really do the job.
cause a college degree teaches you literally nothing about working in the REAL world with variables and human interactions.

college is really only useful for specialty skilled positions.

hell even most lawyers and doctors learn most of what they know ON THE JOB lol.

I think this is your first post that makes sense

It's possible to get a job without an internship, but it's extremely hard. Most companies look for the work experience that comes with one. I'm an Accounting major, and I know for a fact that most companies usually give their interns full-time offers immediately after their internship, just because their familiar with the individual and know that they will be able to do the job.

It's possible to get a job without an internship, but it's extremely hard. Most companies look for the work experience that comes with one. I'm an Accounting major, and I know for a fact that most companies usually give their interns full-time offers immediately after their internship, just because their familiar with the individual and know that they will be able to do the job.

I think I have to do 3 years of internship
ohwell.gif

Internships are pretty important in my eyes. Everyone I know that had one now works with that company or a comparable one.

Internships are pretty important in my eyes. Everyone I know that had one now works with that company or a comparable one.

and yes, get an internship that is relevant to your degree. I did a general internship at a company just doing whatever they needed me to do. I never actually focused on Finance or Accounting, which is what my degree is in...

and yes, get an internship that is relevant to your degree. I did a general internship at a company just doing whatever they needed me to do. I never actually focused on Finance or Accounting, which is what my degree is in...

Originally Posted by bigblizur

Right now it's all about experience. In other words... LIE on your resume

haha

but ya, it is much harder to find a job out of college in your field (or any for that matter) without an internship
& even with internships it's extremely difficult. 

To the guy who said they are annoyed with entry level jobs asking for 2+ experience, you ain't never lie!

Real talk, i was reviewing resumes for this accounts payable assistant position we have open, & at least half of those applying were definitely over qualified(and they were aware what the pay would be). A few had MBA's, 10+ years experience, etc. 

Times are tough!

Originally Posted by bigblizur

Right now it's all about experience. In other words... LIE on your resume

haha

but ya, it is much harder to find a job out of college in your field (or any for that matter) without an internship
& even with internships it's extremely difficult. 

To the guy who said they are annoyed with entry level jobs asking for 2+ experience, you ain't never lie!

Real talk, i was reviewing resumes for this accounts payable assistant position we have open, & at least half of those applying were definitely over qualified(and they were aware what the pay would be). A few had MBA's, 10+ years experience, etc. 

Times are tough!

internships also help you figure out if you like the career field you're about to go into. For example, Its easy to learn Accounting in school, but will you like working as an Accountant?

internships also help you figure out if you like the career field you're about to go into. For example, Its easy to learn Accounting in school, but will you like working as an Accountant?

i think it all depends on the person and what the company needs, because experience is important but not all they are looking for.

I am in my last year of college and just got a job offer for next october with no prior internships/experience in the field i am going to be working in. It all depends on the interview process and if you make a good enough impression, but they do want to see some type of work experience even if its not in the field your looking for.

Bottom line is that internships def help alot but its not the only factor. If you dont have one focus on your gpa and extracurricular and when you get into the interview process dont talk about how you dont have experience, talk about the things you have done and want to do.

BTW im an accounting major and my job will pay me a decent amount for a first year out of college.

i think it all depends on the person and what the company needs, because experience is important but not all they are looking for.

I am in my last year of college and just got a job offer for next october with no prior internships/experience in the field i am going to be working in. It all depends on the interview process and if you make a good enough impression, but they do want to see some type of work experience even if its not in the field your looking for.

Bottom line is that internships def help alot but its not the only factor. If you dont have one focus on your gpa and extracurricular and when you get into the interview process dont talk about how you dont have experience, talk about the things you have done and want to do.

BTW im an accounting major and my job will pay me a decent amount for a first year out of college.

Originally Posted by E3LAL

I am a finance major and we are required to have an internship; none of the other majors are required to do so.  Yet I went to a presentation which grads talked about getting job offers.  Surprisingly, none of them mentioned that their internship played a role in getting job offers.  I plan on using my internship to get a job offer from them.
I started interning my freshman year. Gotta do it.

Originally Posted by E3LAL

I am a finance major and we are required to have an internship; none of the other majors are required to do so.  Yet I went to a presentation which grads talked about getting job offers.  Surprisingly, none of them mentioned that their internship played a role in getting job offers.  I plan on using my internship to get a job offer from them.
I started interning my freshman year. Gotta do it.

Silly question but.... how do you guys go about actually finding internships? Is there an "open internships" book, or website? Seems like a silly question but I'm sure you guys, for example in Accounting/Financing, don't just walk up the block and ask each office if they are hiring interns. So how exactly do you find out about internship offerings? Also, I do agree with what someone had mentioned up there about your personality and interview. Of course your grades and past experience is a huge plus, but when your given an interview, the interviewer can really get a sense of what type of person you are, and what your personality can bring to the company.

Silly question but.... how do you guys go about actually finding internships? Is there an "open internships" book, or website? Seems like a silly question but I'm sure you guys, for example in Accounting/Financing, don't just walk up the block and ask each office if they are hiring interns. So how exactly do you find out about internship offerings? Also, I do agree with what someone had mentioned up there about your personality and interview. Of course your grades and past experience is a huge plus, but when your given an interview, the interviewer can really get a sense of what type of person you are, and what your personality can bring to the company.

Back
Top Bottom