Lets Discuss The Industry

My knowledge base is not nearly as extensive as most of you guys involved in this discussion in the first few pages of this thread, but I will offer up my take on what can be done to "improve" the state of the "game" or the industry so to speak.  I am not speaking from an "insider" point of view, or someone with major connections, but rather as an individual who reads, observes, and sifts through what he can in order to form an educated opinion.  Thats all it is.  Take it for what its worth.

#1.  JB is/has slowly been becoming a joke.  It started in my estimation with the onslaught of the PACKS and shortly after the dropping of the first few 23s.   Once that number(23) came and went, so many of the old schoolers began to lose interest even moreso I think than they already had.  23 was 23, and thereafter, only those infatuated with the Jordan name and the idea of limited, QS, rare, and or hard to get were that terribly sucked in.  Sure, even the oldest of the old- or super Jordan devoted sneakerheads will come out for the Space Jams, Infareds, or maybe something like these Motorsports 6 joints(not for me btw), but there are fewer and fewer releases now and moving forward that will truly get genuine sneakerheads stoked like they used to. pre 2004-05?  The notion that JB will "force" those who carry the product to take on weaker/less wanted/worn out retreads or "fusion" models  in order to carry anything that resembles anything from the past - what "old schoolers" remember copping first time around is slightly disheartening.  Its proof that they are ultimately concerned with getting people into stuff that they dont truly want, but feel pressured/and or forced into something that is nearly what it should be- but not exactly.  If they do, then 2 or 3 times a year they may be rewarded with a glimpse back into the past, albeit of somewhat shoddy quality. 

What made sense about Jordans 1-16 or 17 was that the consumer genuinely felt like they were getting the best shot from the brand- in terms of technology and or design each and every year.  There may have been a few other spinoffs or team shoes, but there wasn't a ridiculous oversaturation for no particularly good reason of shoes being forced down ones throat- relatively speaking of course.  As time has gone on, and seemingly profit, bottom line, and global domination have become the focus of NIKE corporate, they have forgotten what made Jordans so alluring to begin with I think.  Now that so many different shoes and items have the jumpman symbol on it, I truly believe that it has cheapened the brand.  I get that the reason for so many products is to appeal to more people, but I also think that you lose significance when there is so much under one brand or symbol.  Definitely a fine line, but one that has been crossed over many, many times in their case.

Long story short.  What could be done to improve it?  Start over with say, D-Wade, since he is the "new face" of the brand, and start focusing on him, what he is wearing, make it significant, and don't put out a bunch of crap that no one who is truly educated about sneakers/or interested in preserving a piece of the past will buy.  Focus on the middle to upper tier customer/collector/shoe head, and let it "funnel" down.  If you make a quality product, at a reasonable price (doesn't need to be dirt cheap) with a current, relevant, and marketable (see D. Wade) face, then go from there.  If people believe in it, then the following will grow again.

Who knows, maybe I am naive, and speaking from too idealistic of a point of view, and maybe JB doesn't care about gaining a customer for life, but rather for a few years.  And maybe all they are interested in is profit, margins, and bottom line.  I'd like to think it could be different, but perhaps I am wrong.  Don't mean to ramble.  Enjoy reading everyone's take.  Hopefully mine made some sense to somebody. 

Great thread about the sneaker industry......I have always been a Nike guy since the days of Jordan, Bo Jackson, Agassi, etc. I loved the Nike athletes and the sneakers were comfortable. The fact is that Reebok and Adidas had their chances early on to compete with Nike, but didn't put up the advertising dollars to do so. If you take a look at Nike, the company always has the best athletes of eaconceh sport. I remember when Vince Carter signed with Puma which spent nothing on advertising. I remember seeing a VC Puma shirt at Walgreens once. Once Carter's Puma deal ended he immediately signed with Nike and was implemented into their ad campaign and ended up selling quite a few kicks and in a few spots with Richardson Jefferson.

It takes a lot of cash to sign the best athletes, but the signing isn't enough....each of these cats wants their own line, commercials, and the opportunity to represent the brand. I love Nike's products, but the main thing with Nike is that they market their athletes to death and it drives consumers in conjunction with on the field performance. Other companies have had the chance, but never took it to the next level by funding any sort of marketing campaign.

Originally Posted by 3onPar5

What this thread needs is some other people to jump in with their opinions on how they would change/fix/energize the industry. Unfortunately mostly all people want to do on here is moan and complain that retro Jordans dont have the NIKE Air on the back or to look at new shoes that are posted and put
sick.gif
. Noobody wants to discuss anymore. 1,000
eyes.gif
and 1,000
smh.gif
= 2,000 posts and "credibility" on this board.

Yeah Im calling people out. Lets see what ya got. Lets keep this DISCUSSION going, quit going into the Kobe thread and asking the same question 20 times about availability of the Dark Knights. Lets talk. If not...this thread was great while it lasted. For those that spoke up...thanks, we will do it again sometime.

here is the thing, despite all the complaints, the sneaker industry is (all things considered) doing pretty well (just look at all the boutiques/brands getting in the shoe business) and the things that need to be changed really would end up being a net negative for consumers pockets. i've never really been of the opinion that adidas, converse, nike, reebok, ua et al are/were slacking, or needed to change up their designs or be more innovative, those things are important but it all goes back to how individuals feel about each of those brands. i do think could be fewer shoes out here at retail, as it is now, does anyone buy athletic sneakers @ retail price anymore? if it isn't a retro or signature line/shoe (in a limited colorway, for that matter) isn't pretty common to wait until it is marked down? though having less product out would probably mean higher prices.

on a related note, if it seems that the industry is lacking much energy, i think it is because consumers aren't as interested in athletic sneakers in the same way. there are more options out here for casual wear and seeing as most don't wear the shoes for its intended purpose, why buy a shoe for sport if they didn't plan to play/work out with them? i see kids going to school everyday from grade school to highschool, and for the most part, i don't see too many athletic styles (basketball, running, xtraining shoes), and those that are tend to be retro styles. athletic shoes, i think, after evolving to being almost an everyday type of thing, are moving back towards an equipment type of thing; where you buy & wear them for a singular purpose. it used to be that everyone kicked around in gym/running shoes, (note: part of the boom in running shoes was due to working women buying running shoes to wear on the way to & from work for comfort instead of their heels, women also grew the sneaker industry with the fitness craze too, though one reason it is difficult to go the women's only brand route is that for the most part women tend to be less loyal to brands than men) now i rarely see anyone under 30 in 'em (unless they are coming from the gym). one thing i'd like to see more of in general is biodegradable/green/earth friendly materials/product, if we're going to make all these shoes, they should at least be less harmful to the environment; its been popping up sporadically but not nearly enough...

Great thread, a lot of everyones opinions have been on point.

A lot has been touched on, but I'll add my own $0.02, whether its a repeat or not.

Nike- Love the way Nike is going right now. I think as of now with LeBron & Kobe as the face of brand, they are doing everything right with them. The puppet commercial are great. Everytime I see them, it gives me that throwback feel (Penny anyone?). The marketing with these shoes & products has been A+. Technology wise, I like how they are handling that as well. Taking the flywire for example, & featuring it on the best products (V's & VII's) then putting it on the less popular products. Simple, but effective. New technology (flywire) I like as well. Gimmick or not, I like it. The only thing I would do differently & its been mentioned, is use different cushioning for a series of products, like a team line. For example, the Elite series not to long ago. Nike used Shox, Air Max, & Zoom Air. This was used within the same series, but put into use with different shoes. From the moment I saw that, I thought it was the prefect idea. It's a shame it hasn't been used like that more often. Also, the future is in great hands with Durant on the verge of being a top player in this league for a long time. They give him some products in the near future, they are set for another good while.

Jordan- Honestly, I have a lot more complaints than positive remarks with Jordan. I think if I could change Jordan, the best direction to go would be with 1 word: Simple. I can't stand the team line of using numbered Jordans with switched up concepts. The whole Fusion concept just makes me shake my head. Also, the amount of different Jordans coming out left & right. Plus, the retros that they do decide to release, becomes a retro+ with a horrible colorway. I know the reason behind it is they want to save value for old collectors, but I just don't like how the line revolves around that & puts out miserable looking products. To me, If Brand Jordan went the simple road & released a pair of retros here & there, without some of these terrible releases in the middle, they'd be a lot better in my eyes. Same with the clothing (as mentioned), it's not early 2000's, go the simple route. What I did like from Brand Jordan recently has been the Countdown packs. New colorways (some) mixed in with old retros, basically what I like to see from Jordan Brand. I just feel this brand can do so much more without some of the crap they put out. Its just not needed in my opinion. But at the same time, Jordan Brand is making money off all of this, & in a business, that's the main goal. So if they're making it, I guess my opinion & disagreeing means nothing.

Adidas- I'd say solid. Nothing to special, but not bad. Decent products with some good names sporting their products. Mix some star players with some solid products & you have a pretty good company.

UA- Doesn't appeal to me at all. From looks to cushioning & tech. I agree with some that they have potential, they just have to use it to their advantage. From players, to designs, to tech. The have a good start with Jennings, after him get some more names. Go the simple route with designs, & try to get a good unique tech/cushioning for their product.

Peak & Li Ning- Caught me by surprise with how well they're doing. They have some key players to push their product & have good marketing all over. They are doing real well.

RBK- Besides retroing their old models (Iverson), I don't see much in them. They will have some success with putting out old models, but that's about it.

^I agree with your take on UA, I don't even think that they have a cushioning unit that is effective in their products. They keep on talking about midsole technology but that can't last long in a shoe.

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

What I did like from Brand Jordan recently has been the Countdown packs. New colorways (some) mixed in with old retros, basically what I like to see from Jordan Brand.
The Countdown packs were a better idea than they came out IMO. Half the packs set on the shelves and that had a lot to do with the terrible colorways they dropped in the packs. The XX, XXI, and XX2 could of been a lot better colorway wise. XIV too. If both shoes in the pack would have been hot, they would of done better.

The XX in the pack was just so terrible, and I love the XX.

I can agree with that. I think some of the colorways were bad. The majority though, I think Jordan Brand did a good job. You have your few exceptions of trash colorways, but for the most part, I like how they were done with colorways.

Yeah.. I didnt understand why they didn't put TWO of the most Ultimate colorways in each pack possible. That would have made the releases most memorable. Its not like you couldn't release them AGAIN at another time. When all else fails...

Release ANY XI. If that fails.

Release the Black/Red or Concord XI.

So true....the retro XI (white/black/concord) and XI (black/red) (space jams) will always be classics

I too had wished there would be more input, but thought there's really not too much you could add seriously.

I would say have a Solutions or What would you do thread, but I couldn't participate... from what I know about the industry.....and as I was once told in the Beav....

"If its your idea, they wont use it, until they can call it their idea, and they'll just F it up anyway" lol

True Story...and True Events...

It seems like this thread has run its life.

And that sucks.

Somebody start talking ++#$ so we can keep this baby alive!!

Maybe this question isn't quite suited for this thead, but the logic behind Nike's reuse of some tooling has had me scratching my head recently.

I'm not referring really to the KD2, the reuse of parts from the Kd1 makes some sense since it's a $85 shoe.

More specifically, i'm referring to the reuse of tooling from more expensive shoes.

IE: The Lebron VII outsole and midsole being placed on the Air Max Hyperize (is that even the correct name? )

It would seem (to me anyway) that by reusing the tooling from what they're marketing as a high end signature shoe, they're undermining that marketing somewhat.

Furthermore, as i suggested elsewhere, there's a strong chance that by the time the "Air Max Hyperize" drops, several Lebron VII colorways will be available for less
than it's $145 price tag.

So why would retailers stock it, and who would buy it?

Are retailers obliged to order it, for fear of being left short on something in higher demand, or are Nike simply playing 'Cash grab', and not thinking beyond that?

The logic behind this particular shoe escapes me.... Am i missing something?

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Yeah.. I didnt understand why they didn't put TWO of the most Ultimate colorways in each pack possible. That would have made the releases most memorable. Its not like you couldn't release them AGAIN at another time. When all else fails...

Release ANY XI. If that fails.

Release the Black/Red or Concord XI.

...Whilst i'm not sure about the Air Max Hyperize, in this case it's absolutely a Double/Triple/Some other number dip.

I REALLY liked the idea of the non-patent/stealth XX making it to the CDP pack.

JB knew retailers would order the 20/3 pack on the strength of the 3 alone, so they didn't have to make
any effort on the XX. Most, i think, of those packs, were basically sold on one shoe.
Suppose retailers protest, stop ordering some products, then they may not get a shot at the 'hot' stuff.

I still don't get why there is not more buzz about this APL brand. I mean of course the info just might not be out there......but whats everyones thoughts...have they really founda shoe that will legitimately make/help you jump higher?...the is that not the "grail" and subconscious myth of all the promo and marketing behind nearly everything Nike ever did in the past?

Jawhawk,

APL has been underwraps which is the best Marketing yet. Not many folks at Nike has heard of it from those I have asked, but I actually think thats good. So whenever they come on the scene, they can make an even greater impact and others cant be prepared for what they may release.

Leaving other Industry folks reeling and wondering why didnt THEY do that first?

The XX/III Pack was one of the worst selling though, no? Seems like the IX/XIV, XX/III, II/XX1, and XX2/1 were the ones that sat for a minute and eventually started moving. I don't think anything JB has put out has done as bad as the VII DMP Package though. I mean seriously?????

This article is primarily about reebok but has some informative details & includes a percentage breakdown of all the players in the industry:

HERALD HIGHLIGHT: SNEAKER WARS
By By DONNA GOODISON
Publication: The Boston Herald
Date: Monday, January 11 2010

It's been four years since Adidas purchased Reebok International, and a promised quick turnaround of the brand has yet to materialize.

When Adidas bought struggling Reebok for $3.8 billion in 2006, the German company forecast a fourth-quarter turnaround for its new Canton unit.

The marriage of the two athletic footwear companies, CEO Herbert Hainer declared, would allow Adidas to give No. 1 powerhouse Nike a run for its money.
That timetable, though, was pushed back to the second half of 2007, then 2008 and then 2009. Now, four years after Adidas closed the purchase, Reebok sales are still headed in the wrong direction.

Reebok's 2009 sales are expected to be down from the $3.1 billion in 2006 and far short of the potential $5 billion that Hainer eyed. And Reebok has lost about 45 percent of its U.S. market share.

Adidas' slow-going with Reebok has been surprising, said Christopher Svezia, senior analyst at Susquehanna Financial Group.

``Why would it take six years to turn around a business?'' Svezia asked. ``They bought it with hopes of doing `XYZ,' and none of that ever happened. Reebok lost share and was underinvested. Maybe because they didn't have their hands around the Reebok brand.''

But Reebok, whose growth in the '80s was amped up by the aerobics craze, finally could start to turn the corner this year with its re-emphasis on women's fitness, according to analysts. Introduced last April, its EasyTone shoes that promise women ``better legs and a better butt with every step'' are now taking off thanks to a provocative new ad campaign.

Reebok CEO Uli Becker, meanwhile, said last week that a turnaround would be complete if results of the past few months continue, German newspaper Handelsblatt reported. Reebok will grow this year, he said, and its products are attractive enough to yield higher margins.

Becker, who took his post in 2008, was not available for comment. Fiscal year-end earnings will be released in March. Reebok revenue dropped 9 percent to $1.49 billion in the first nine months of the last year compared to the same period in 2008.

Reebok's presence on retail shelves had already started to decline when acquired by Adidas. Now the brand is expected to finish the year with a 2.58 percent market share, down from 4.7 percent in 2006. Reebok started increasing distribution in overseas markets including China, India, Russia and Latin America in the intervening years, but it wasn't enough to offset continued declines in its key U.S. and UK markets.

Adidas' goal was for Reebok to do fewer things better, retraining its focus on the performance side of the business that had been neglected in favor of lifestyle sneakers and hip-hop and rap star endorsers.

But Svezia believes that most people don't know what Reebok stands for today, because its U.S. presence has diminished so much.

``The only people I see wearing Reebok is 50- or 60-year-olds who got them at Kohl's or T.J. Maxx,'' he said. ``You've got to change that mindset and reinvigorate the brand.''

While Reebok has cleaned up its inventory and cleared out those low-margin $29.95 sneakers, its penetration in key retailers - such as Foot Locker, Finish Line, %%%$'s Sporting Goods and Sports Authority - has dropped significantly. Walk into a Foot Locker or Finish Line, and Nike occupies some 60 percent of the shoe walls, while the next biggest players - New Balance, Adidas, Puma and Asics - take up 5 percent or 6 percent each, with Reebok well below. (The Jordan brand is a division of Nike.)

``Those are the channels you want to be in with premium-priced product,'' Svezia said. ``But Reebok, from a retailer's perspective, doesn't make a compelling basketball shoe, doesn't make a compelling running shoe and the one category they've been in - classics - has been in decline and fallen out of favor.''

The one area in which Reebok has seen relevant strength is with EasyTone. The U.S. muscle-toning category is projected to quadruple this year to an $850 million to $1 billion business at retail, with top-two player Reebok potentially seeing $280 million to $400 million-plus in revenue.

``The EasyTone has taken off like wild fire,'' said Matt Powell, an analyst at the SportsOneSource research firm. ``It can give them a volume base that they've been lacking, which can help offset investments that they need to make elsewhere.''

Powell sees Reebok having up to a 40 percent share of the category this year, behind Skechers with as much as half.

And Reebok says the EasyTone's success is having a ripple effect.

``The reach and acceptance of the EasyTone initiative has had an overall positive impact on the Reebok brand in general,'' spokesman Dan Sarro said.

Reebok is expanding the line to men's shoes. It will introduce JumpTone for basketball and RunTone for running.

Reebok otherwise has done quite well with its licensed NHL and NFL clothing. It entered the hockey business in 2005 and lacrosse two years ago. It's also had small victories with its licensed Kool-Aid shoes and the return of its Freestyle aerobic sneakers, said Powell.

``But I think they need to be focused,'' he said. ``They're too small to be able to make lots of different kinds of products. One of the mistakes is that athletic shoe companies look at Nike and think they can be in all categories like Nike.''

Reebok apparently thinks it has another winner in a men's training product to be unveiled at the Super Bowl, but it's keeping a tight lid on the details.

Said Sarro: ``This shoe is like nothing people have seen before.''

GRAPHIC: TURNAROUND TROUBLE

Instead of turing around Reebok as promised, both Adidas and the Canton shoemaker have struggled.

PERCENTAGE OF U.S. MARKET SHARE OF RETAIL DOLLARS

2006 2007 2008 2009*

NIKE 29.73 31.53 34.61 35.21

JORDAN 7.81 8.57 9.73 10.83

ADIDAS 10.62 6.93 5.86 5.32

NEW BALANCE 9.26 8.03 6.26 5.05

SKECHERS 4.07 4.29 4.09 4.61

ASICS 3.51 3.21 3.57 3.89

CONVERSE 1.95 2.18 2.46 2.83

REEBOK 4.7 4.46 2.66 2.58

SOURCE: SPORTSONESOURCE

STAFF GRAPHIC BY SARAH KAEMPFE

Maybe this question isn't quite suited for this thead, but the logic behind Nike's reuse of some tooling has had me scratching my head recently.

I'm not referring really to the KD2, the reuse of parts from the Kd1 makes some sense since it's a $85 shoe.

More specifically, i'm referring to the reuse of tooling from more expensive shoes.

IE: The Lebron VII outsole and midsole being placed on the Air Max Hyperize (is that even the correct name? )

It would seem (to me anyway) that by reusing the tooling from what they're marketing as a high end signature shoe, they're undermining that marketing somewhat.

Furthermore, as i suggested elsewhere, there's a strong chance that by the time the "Air Max Hyperize" drops, several Lebron VII colorways will be available for less

Are retailers obliged to order it, for fear of being left short on something in higher demand, or are Nike simply playing 'Cash grab', and not thinking beyond that?

i doubt it will be the exact same tooling, in fact it will have to be different, seeing that the vii's tool has so much lebron related stuff on it...it will almost certainly be just the cushioning unit (max air?) in which case it makes total sense, it puts another shoe on the wall with a visible "technology." nike certainly has the leverage to "ask" that retailers take certain shoes...in this cae a retailer may want it because it is essentially an update to the hyperize only with a twist of a different bottom, so this doesn't seem redundant from a tooling perspective & it doesn't devalue the lbj vii, it probably makes even more sense from a cost point of view as well; since they are putting the tech into more shoes making it cheaper to produce...

I still don't get why there is not more buzz about this APL brand. I mean of course the info just might not be out there......but whats everyones thoughts...have they really founda shoe that will legitimately make/help you jump higher?...the is that not the "grail" and subconscious myth of all the promo and marketing behind nearly everything Nike ever did in the past

not exactly, i think their position has been more "the best athletes in sport wear our stuff, so you should too" at least before the hyperdunk/lightweight argument (which had a more funny than serious, tone)...& doesn't every brand implicitly make the argument that you will jump higher, play better, run faster, for longer in their product? as for APL, time will tell...basketball consumers are NOTORIOUSLY loyal

RunTone's are crazy popular already. They LOOK a lot better.

JumpTone? haven't heard of those.

Originally Posted by swingshot

...Whilst i'm not sure about the Air Max Hyperize, in this case it's absolutely a Double/Triple/Some other number dip.

Suppose retailers protest, stop ordering some products, then they may not get a shot at the 'hot' stuff.

Swing.. I too have thought about this from the Retailers perspective.  I hate to take this thread into a Nike direction only..  BUT

Nike uses the same platform tooling over and over for financial purposes.  It saves them from having to rebuild and pay for a new one.  I too think with many shoes having the Lunar Platform or even my favorite Zoom with several different uppers, would only force high inventory with Retailers.

For the consumer and Nike, its a win win.  Nike is going to make its money.  It might be as high in orders, but it will make its money.  Footlocker wont buy everything, but Footlocker loves the one offs that have sold somewhat successfully before it.  Jordan has the only stronghold to tell the Retailers they MUST purchase something else IF they want access to something better.  Hence being stuck with alot of stuff that doesn't sell, but Fusions are selling better than some of you think.

For the Consumers we win, because as Swing said, all we have to do is wait out the sale and get it at a MUCH better price.  To me however, we are just getting mashed up offerings that could be alot better on some levels. 

Give me a Quality Hyperdunk with proper heel, and ankle padding with Full Zoom without Flywire or Print stuff on it, and you have the perfect offering.  Lets go back to making a GREAT shoe, not the lightest shoe.  Too much quality is literally being stripped away. 

Fusions DO move a lot better than people think. Honestly, Fusion 13's have moved way better then the Retro 12's from what i've seen around here. Kinda silly.

That trailer for the jump tone doesn't do much for me. It's just a bunch of kids saying how it helps them without any technical information or any detailed product shots. If Reebok can keep this up AND get some decent designs on their regular performance shoes, they might be able to make it back just a tad bit.

Fusions DO move a lot better than people think. Honestly, Fusion 13's have moved way better then the Retro 12's from what i've seen around here. Kinda silly.

That trailer for the jump tone doesn't do much for me. It's just a bunch of kids saying how it helps them without any technical information or any detailed product shots. If Reebok can keep this up AND get some decent designs on their regular performance shoes, they might be able to make it back just a tad bit.

well i think that was probably point, to have actual kids talk about their experience wearing it, rather than explicitly talk about the benefits in technical points; which can be somewhat esoteric (how much does anyone know/understand about the technical specs of any of these "technologies")...and they won't be out for a minute, so detailed product shots & tech info aren't likely (though the easy tone specs are out there). its all about marketing/brand visibility for every brand, how people perceive the brand relates to how they see the designs (especially here in the states); there aren't too many companies that are known for good design that aren't known for their marketing as well...

dont know if this has been posted before, but its a pretty cool insight into the origin of the brand: UA Ceo Kevin Plank interview the thing about UA is that they're focus is performance, he says something to the effect that everything they try to do comes from what athletes tell them, i think that will serve them well

^That might serve them well, however that's already been done and of course, every good company tries to focus on what their stable of athletes wants. Remember Nike's Alpha Project? That was the best line of shoes and apparel that Nike has done in a looooooooooong time.

Truth.  I saw alot of people around my city with the Fusion XIII's and even the Fusion VIII's, while the XII's have collected dust.  Fusions are my cup of tea, but whatever...

The average customer loves the idea of a Jordan mixed with an Air Force I think. I can't really see why else they would like it.

It would of been cool if they did the XII Fusion and left it at that. Everything else just went TOO FAR with it and kinda killed the "niche" factor behind it.

Back
Top Bottom