let this thread die (NYK)

laugh.gif
 onewearz is that dude

Earlier in the day, the N.B.A. and its players union moved toward a settlement in the so-called Bird rights case that has temporarily clouded the future of Jeremy Lin, according to two people briefed on the talks.

The most likely outcome is that Lin and three other N.B.A. players — including the Knicks’ Steve Novak — will retain some form of Bird rights, as affirmed last week by an arbitrator, according to one of the people briefed on the talks. But the talks were continuing Thursday, and the details of a settlement remained in flux.

Bird rights, established by the league’s Larry Bird exception before the 1983-84 season, allow teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their free agents. A player who has earned full Bird rights — by playing three straight seasons for the same team — can earn up to the maximum salary. A player with early Bird rights — two consecutive seasons with the same team — is eligible for a contract starting at the league average, about $5.3 million.

An announcement could be made as soon as Friday, but no later than Saturday night, so that the affected players and their teams would have clarity before the free-agent period opened, at 12:01 a.m. Sunday.

The two people briefed on the talks asked for anonymity because negotiations were ongoing.

If Lin and Novak retain their early Bird rights, it will be a huge boost for the Knicks, giving them greater flexibility to re-sign both players and to add other free agents.

Grunwald hopes with the possible additional flexibility the team could find veteran players who will be willing to play for a midlevel exception contract.

“We are at the stage where we want to make improvements right away,

I don't get what the NBA gets out of this that they would appeal it. It basically just gives teams the option to retain their players. If they don't want to or if they don't want to pay the price of it then they can choose not to as if the bird rights ruling was never changed. Isn't the job of the NBA to maximize profits for its brand and owners? Giving teams the OPTION to retain good players and fan favorites such as Lin and Novak would create a situation where everyone wins, unless there's something I'm not seeing.

The NBA obviously has something to gain if not this would've been settled out of court. I think the way they say it with this teams are getting around the cap and with the way they changed the luxury tax they'd want more teams paying it when they go over, each million counts.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by THE GR8

When youre picking at #48 all you can ask for is the guy who gives you the best chance at contributing in a key way down the road. Do yall really think that a 6'3 SG like Johnson-Odom or Scott Machado from Iona have much of a significant chance to succeed in any kind of major role for us?
I can't be that unfair to these other guys cuz you could say the same things about Iman Shumpert and Landry Fields and their first years with us they had a huge impact.
Shumpert was a first round pick and a 6'6 guard with FREAK athleticism. Landry also had great size for his position, was one of the best players in the Pac-10 but fell because his team sucked, and our scouts clearly saw something in him but dont forget that we also drafted Landry Fields that year.

If our scouts saw immediate potential to contribute than they would have drafted one of those players. It says something when the same scouts that you just praised for finding value in late draft picks that normally would go to waste would rather take a player who wont be in the NBA for a year or 2 than draft one of those 2 guys who would be able to come immediately. Out of the 2 I like Macchado more, I dont really see DJO having any sort of role on this team had we drafted him and we still have the shot to go after Macchado as an undrafted Free Agent, a chance we would have never had with Papanikolau.

You say that you trust our scouts because they found guys like Shumpert and Landry when we didnt really know who they were, but now you cant trust them here just because the guy you havent heard of happens to be foreign and wont play in the NBA for another year or 2 (I personally think we get him playing for us the season after next, he has a $1 million buyout and we are not the T'Wolves if we want him we will get him here)? If Papanikolau was playing NCAA ball he would have been a lottery pick. He is 21 years old and has been playing against near NBA talent. His team could probably at least give the Bobcats a run for the money as they were Euroleague champions and Papanikolau was a key contributor. Scott Macchado in comparison to the talent level this guy has been up against in Europe has been playing pickup ball at the YMCA in that *#%+ conference, and DJO isnt nearly as good as this guy, I never really saw what DJO would bring to the NBA. I would have taken Macchado, Kevin Jones, and Drew Gordon before Johnson-Odom. If this guy comes to the NBA (which I think he will) I guarentee you he will *#%+ all over all these guys we are talking about who probably will be out of the league by the time Papanikolau is ready to join the league.

Forget JR and lets go for mayo

[h3]Grizzlies Decline Qualifying Offer To Mayo, Hudson; Extend It To Speights, Arthur[/h3]
Jun 29, 2012 1:10 PM EDT

Mayo_OJ_mem_120125.jpg
The Grizzlies have declined to issue the qualifying offer to O.J. Mayo and Lester Hudson, but have done so with Marreese Speights and Darrell Arthur, according to a report from the Commercial Appeal.

Mayo's qualifying offer would have been worth $7.39 million and will now become an unrestricted free agent.

When youre picking at #48 all you can ask for is the guy who gives you the best chance at contributing in a key way down the road. Do yall really think that a 6'3 SG like Johnson-Odom or Scott Machado from Iona have much of a significant chance to succeed in any kind of major role for us?
I can't be that unfair to these other guys cuz you could say the same things about Iman Shumpert and Landry Fields and their first years with us they had a huge impact.
Shumpert was a first round pick and a 6'6 guard with FREAK athleticism. Landry also had great size for his position, was one of the best players in the Pac-10 but fell because his team sucked, and our scouts clearly saw something in him but dont forget that we also drafted Landry Fields that year.
This just sounds like an excuse after the fact of us picking them. I'm sure somebody could cook up a reasonable excuse had we picked Odom-Johnson or Machado or whoever else was available that posters in here were mentioning.

This just sounds like a excuse after the fact of us picking them. I'm sure somebody could cook up a reasonable excuse had we picked Odom-Johnson or Machado or whoever else was available that posters in here were mentioning.
Than why didnt they get drafted? Or excuse me why did DJO go 58 and Macchado not get drafted? Like I said if you trust our scouts because they found gems in players you knew little about in Fields/Shumpert than why cant you do the same with Papanikolau rather than saying we should have drafted other players just because you know about them/ have seen them play before?

If we saw what we saw in DJO and Macchado that we saw in Shumpert/Fields than we would have picked one of them plain and simple. Youre contradicting yourself by praising our scouts for finding unheralded players that we knew little about in Shumpert/Fields but than saying we should have drafted Macchado/DJO because youve heard of them.

Maybe Papanikolau was more of a Shumpert/Landry pick because of how little we know about him like when we drafted Shumpert/Fields and all the Knicks fans booed them... DJO or Macchado would have been more like Andy Rautins than Fields in that it would have appeased the NY fanbase who like to see players they watched in college or players that are from the area play for the team, even though they will probably be out of the league by next year like Rautins, while Pap was more of a Landry Fields pick in that nobody has heard of him but he is the better player.

I dont get how you bring up unknown players we have drafted panning out after they were criticized by the fans like Landry/Shump and using that argument while actually doing the same exact thing you are criticizing about Knicks fans, that we often do not know how good players are that we draft until after the fact, and saying we should have drafted other dudes before we give our drafted players a chance. This pick to me is exactly the same scenario as when we drafted Landry/Shump with the ONLY difference being that he is foreign... Knicks fans also wanted Jerryd Bayless and DJ Augustine over Gallo because he was foreign lets not forget. How about we wait to see how this pick pans out first? And i guarantee you that Shumpert or Landry Fields do not go undrafted in either of those drafts. Shumpert wouldnt have fell out of the 1st round either, so yes there is a difference in comparing those 2 players than somebody who was a pity pick at 58 because his better teamate was drafted and an undrafted player. Pap does not go undrafted either.

Mayo probably lands in Phoenix or Boston. I think he wants to be a number one option. I'd love to have him instead of JR, though.

This just sounds like a excuse after the fact of us picking them. I'm sure somebody could cook up a reasonable excuse had we picked Odom-Johnson or Machado or whoever else was available that posters in here were mentioning.
Than why didnt they get drafted? Or excuse me why did DJO go 58 and Macchado not get drafted? Like I said if you trust our scouts because they found gems in players you knew little about in Fields/Shumpert than why cant you do the same with Papanikolau rather than saying we should have drafted other players just because you know about them/ have seen them play before?
He went 58 cuz that team that picked him wanted him, maybe for them he was the best player left on the board at that time to that team. Maybe Scot had a bad workout and overall poor showing during the camps? I don't know why he didn't get drafted and no I don't trust our scouts. We make good picks with where we're at most of the time but as of now I'm not about to defend this pick as if it'll be another Shump or Fields. All I'm saying is all this explaining and high praise you're giving can be done for any other player we may have picked. Besides look at Fields now, he is not a gem. As of now he looks one and done and unfortunately Shump may be injury prone. All I'm saying is I'm not about to pretend it's all roses with the pick we chose when I know right now it's 50/50.

I'm not talking about Papanikolau right now. Maybe you're misunderstanding or confused about that. I'm not saying we should've drafted anyone over anyone else. I'm saying it's not an convincing argument to say one player was more of a sure thing than another as far immediate impact, long term development, etc. You can be completely wrong about the players the Knicks passed over. We have been many times before, word to the Jordan Hill pick.
If we saw what we saw in DJO and Macchado that we saw in Shumpert/Fields than we would have picked one of them plain and simple. Youre contradicting yourself by praising our scouts for finding unheralded players that we knew little about in Shumpert/Fields but than saying we should have drafted Macchado/DJO because youve heard of them.
Maybe this is not what you're getting. I'm not praising anybody. I mention Fields and Shump as examples because when we picked them they were unknowns for the most part. All that praise you're giving them was after the fact. You didn't have all that knowledge about them when the pick was made. It'd be impossible to claim you knew the up sides and down sides to every player that enters the draft each year or that you knew who the Knicks had their eye on for sure and again I never said we should've drafted one player over another because I knew about one and didn't about another. REREAD my posts, if you see that please point it out cuz I know I did not type it. I'm saying all this praising you're doing after the fact can be done for any of the players that were mentioned before we made our pick. It's 50/50 and only thing I heard about DJO was his name same for Scot, didn't know their positions and never saw them play.

I'm really not seeing where in this reply you're seeing me saying they should've picked those guys over Pap. All I said was had we did pick one of those other guys you could praise that pick just as much as you praise Pap now and how you've praised Shump and Fields after the fact.

OJ Mayo would be a HUGE addition to our roster, but I don't think we'll have the funds. He'll want around 7-10 million a year.

Not mad about the pick only because it saves us that 2nd round $$$ we would owe. Plus after watching some vids of him dudes hustles his heart out and plays D so i cant be too mad.

Also, if our 2nd rounder doesnt crack the rotation then he might as well be on our team because injuries WILL happen, thats the main reason i wanted a player that could be useful now, even if he's the 15th guy on the bench.

Back
Top Bottom