LeBron and Jerry Colangelo suddenly in a war of words over Team USA

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

brownsuga1 wrote:

I understand Lebron is a superstar and has other obligations, but representing the U.S. SHOULDN'T be a burden. I mean wow.............this is like someone said above me a tournament exclusively for basketball. There are plenty of NBA players let alone non NBA players/people who would love to represent the U.S. at a grand scale. Basketball IS priority number one in my opinion. Without it, he wouldn't have any of this.

is USA Basketball gonna pay the difference in Lebron's Salary if he gets seriously injured while he's a Free Agent in his REAL job?

I'm 90% sure basketball players have some type of injury insurance.

Team USA >>>>>>>>>> a club team

I'd be damn pissed if i worked hard to try and get on the team over the summer, and then have LeBron who didn't show in the summer to come in before the olympics and take my spot.

Regardless, I don't know why LeBron is trippin'

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by brownsuga1

I understand Lebron is a superstar and has other obligations, but representing the U.S. SHOULDN'T be a burden. I mean wow.............this is like someone said above me a tournament exclusively for basketball. There are plenty of NBA players let alone non NBA players/people who would love to represent the U.S. at a grand scale. Basketball IS priority number one in my opinion. Without it, he wouldn't have any of this.

is USA Basketball gonna pay the difference in Lebron's Salary if he gets seriously injured while he's a Free Agent in his REAL job?
Here's an article that tries to dispute your claim, though yours is a good one. http://dimemag.com/2009/0...iba-ball-right-or-wrong/

'Well, he might get hurt, so he gets a pass.'

See what I'm saying? On top of getting paid millions to do something you and I have to find time to do for fun, he gets random dudes on the internet making sure the time they spend 'off the clock' (so to speak) is appreciated and protected. I wish I could have random dudes protecting me like that. 'Whoa, whoa, whoa, buddy! What are you doing coaching this little league team for free like you committed to do a couple months ago? If you get hurt, man, how's your family going to eat?!'

Ridiculous. And my money isn't anywhere near as long as LeMe's money is.

The World Champions don't start until August. Unless LeBron drags out his free agency he should be available. However, I'm not going to crucify LeBron for passing. He isn't required to play for the team.

If I was jc and lebron decided to not play this summer, i would never offer him a spot again.

finals end in early june and training camp starts in august, how much time does he want?

if his sports schedule was that of a soccer players Ill understand, but hes gonna get at least a month off.

I have tremendous respect for every player that has ever put on the Stars & Stripes because these players are in a lose/lose situation. If they win they were suppose to win, but if they lose they are "selfish, bums, lazy, thugs, an embarrassment, etc". I'll never forget that back in 04 Ska, myself, and a few others were the only ones on NT actually rooting for the guys and a bunch of people actually rooted for the team to lose. If I'm not mistaken wasn't the whole point of this program to build depth and actually create a national team? IMO the key to building depth is getting guys real international playing experience (Durant, Lee, etc). Coach K and jc have a known product with the 08 guys so I believe that there is some common ground that jc and LeBron could explore(ie. getting other guys international playing experience while having guys like LBJ or Wade, etc attend mandatory training camp and team meetings). Make no mistake, JC and Coach K have made exceptions for the star players many times. Does anyone really think the tryout was legit? What about the fact that Jason Kidd never actually tried out for the team but was simply given a spot? If LBJ and Wade don't play this summer and Team USA loses you better believe they will both be on that 2012 team.

Some of yall are hard on dude. Homey plays his !@% off all throughout the season and yall criticize him for wanting to do something else this summer besides playing basketball. He has a lot of stuff going on outside of the sport... he's not a machine. Sure he gets paid millions of dollars to play a game, but taking 1 summer off to make sure his business is straight for the next 4-5 years is very important. Im pretty sure if his business was set he wouldn't have any problems w/ playing at the world championships

^They're getting paid millions and millions of dollars. I would play basketball every damn day if i was getting paid that much. plus, its their hobby.

Originally Posted by BangDak

^They're getting paid millions and millions of dollars. I would play basketball every damn day if i was getting paid that much. plus, its their hobby.
You're saying that from your perspective. To an athlete whose whole business and life is set up around basketball its in his best interest to secure that first. To make a commitment w/o having set plans for the next season isn't smart business. No one, not even LeBron, knows how this summer is going to work out. I agree w/ his decision not to play.

You're saying that from your perspective. To an athlete whose whole business and life is set up around basketball its in his best interest to secure that first. To make a commitment w/o having set plans for the next season isn't smart business. No one, not even LeBron, knows how this summer is going to work out. I agree w/ his decision not to play.

Lol, wow...you guys are ruthless...I love my job but not getting an option to take time off is ridiculous...sure they play a sport but we pretty much choose our careers

This is a non-issue. LeBron could show up to London the day of the start of 2012 Olympic basketball and he'd be given a starting spot on the team. Obviously Colangelo wants the players to commit 2-years in advance but he has little leverage when it comes to forcing guys to show up.

Originally Posted by SpottieOttie305

What on earth are you talking about?

Jerry is trying to show, and make these guys commit to a program. they knew how hard and tough it was going to be from the start. its an honor to play for the USA basketball on a worldwide level, not a privilege. Jerry doesnt need them, theres a lot more talent left in the NBA. sure none of them are as dominant as lebron and wade, but they definately can be if they keep practicing. look how much rudy gay improved his game in just one summer camp pratice.

Are you justifying that they can "skip" these practices and games because of FA and other personal desires?

I honestly feel that these guys should have their own personal space, but if they're really commited,  i dont see whats wrong in forcing them to pratice.

why in the world would free agency be an excuse? how long could that decision possibly take?

Originally Posted by Dade B0Y

laugh.gif
Classic case of a beat-writer overdoing things with a Headline/Title. Nothing in that article indicated a "war of words". More like "simple disagreement".
Beat writers don't write headlines. The copy editors write them when they're piecing together the paper/website.

Originally Posted by brownsuga1

Playing more basketball in the summer is just adding to the amount of mileage these guys already have.

I take it you didn't read the article because if you did you'd know
James, who has played for Team USA in four of the last six summer

That's 4 extra summers of basketball. And what the hell you mean basketball is his number one priority, like dude doesn't have a family of his own.

Oh, he's worked 4 of the last 6 summers? Well that changes everything.

I've workd 6 of the last 6 summers. And all 6 other seasons, too.

Again, the major perk in their life should be their GINORMOUS bank accounts. Being able to back out of your commitment should never be a perk. The commitment thing is what I'm hung up on. That diva mentality is exactly what bit our butts in '04, with dudes thinking they're better than the team or above the standards set for everyone else.

I don't fault LeBron for not going but I do disagree with the decision. He'll be signed by the time it starts so he's getting that fat contract anyway. But let's be real, no way he'll be off the team in 2012.

IF he sits out this summer (breaking his commitment)... and IF he still playsin '12... and IF we get the gold... it's going to be so awesome hearing this clown talk about the team and how it was a nice experience to see everyone check their egos and yadda, yadda, yadda.
laugh.gif

Worked 4 out of the last 6 summers? You say that like it's his job. Playing for Team USA is hardly mandatory.

If wanted to honor his country for 1 year and then be done, we should thank him for his services and let him live.
Not to mention 4 times. There's other people in the NBA who would die to get a shot at being on Team USA.
Hell, call up Durant. It shouldn't matter if he declines the invitation.

And so what if they make millions of dollars. Money ain't everything.

Back
Top Bottom