Learning a new language vol. Where do I start?

I know it might seem a bit far reaching but over the summer I would like to try and learn a new language. Over the course of the year I have traveled to Portugal and now am taking a class on Brazil and find myself interested in learning the Portuguese language. (For those who don't know Brazil is a Portuguese speaking country). If I at least getting a basic understanding I would be pleased as well. 

I have looked into Rosetta Stone, like I am sure everyone else would think of doing, but I am not sure if I want to invest in the program for the price.I have looked into other language classes near home. The problem is that I am not sure if I would be able to make every class time either for the price. 

Any suggestions or has anyone dealt with language programs such as Rosetta Stone or classes outside of the traditional classroom setting? 

I know it might seem a bit far reaching but over the summer I would like to try and learn a new language. Over the course of the year I have traveled to Portugal and now am taking a class on Brazil and find myself interested in learning the Portuguese language. (For those who don't know Brazil is a Portuguese speaking country). If I at least getting a basic understanding I would be pleased as well. 

I have looked into Rosetta Stone, like I am sure everyone else would think of doing, but I am not sure if I want to invest in the program for the price.I have looked into other language classes near home. The problem is that I am not sure if I would be able to make every class time either for the price. 

Any suggestions or has anyone dealt with language programs such as Rosetta Stone or classes outside of the traditional classroom setting? 

Um Brazilian portuguese is really different than Portugal portuguese. I would recommend looking up basic words and phrases and writing them on flashcards. When you get that down, learn the conjugations and verbs. Look at some movies with subtitles. If you can, find a Brazilian to speak with because they don't SPEAK proper Portuguese. They have a ton of slang and stuff in the language that you won't learn from Rosetta Stone.

IMPORTANT:
Try and practice your accent as much as you can. If you don't pronounce the words properly, most people will give you a look as if they don't understand you. Portuguese also has a lot of words that are close that have different meanings that is determined on the way you say it. For example: Pao with an accent = Bread and Pao without an accent means penis. I'm lucky because I live in Brazil. Good luck brah.

Um Brazilian portuguese is really different than Portugal portuguese. I would recommend looking up basic words and phrases and writing them on flashcards. When you get that down, learn the conjugations and verbs. Look at some movies with subtitles. If you can, find a Brazilian to speak with because they don't SPEAK proper Portuguese. They have a ton of slang and stuff in the language that you won't learn from Rosetta Stone.

IMPORTANT:
Try and practice your accent as much as you can. If you don't pronounce the words properly, most people will give you a look as if they don't understand you. Portuguese also has a lot of words that are close that have different meanings that is determined on the way you say it. For example: Pao with an accent = Bread and Pao without an accent means penis. I'm lucky because I live in Brazil. Good luck brah.

If your ballin, get a Rosetta Stone. Theres a reason these things go up to $750

If your ballin, get a Rosetta Stone. Theres a reason these things go up to $750

I learned most of my spanish through music and speaking to native spanish speakers. If you don't know any Brazilians I would recommend looking for any Brazilian restaurants/stores in your city and see if anybody can hook you up with a tutor of sorts or just someone who would be willing to speak with you to help with you accent. If you are a student I would go to the Portuguese or Latin Studies department of your school and see if they can hook you up with a Portuguese speaking student.

I learned most of my spanish through music and speaking to native spanish speakers. If you don't know any Brazilians I would recommend looking for any Brazilian restaurants/stores in your city and see if anybody can hook you up with a tutor of sorts or just someone who would be willing to speak with you to help with you accent. If you are a student I would go to the Portuguese or Latin Studies department of your school and see if they can hook you up with a Portuguese speaking student.

The absolute best way to learn a language is to go to the place it is spoken. If you know someone that lives in Brazil or can find something where you are immersed in the culture, you'll be fluent in the language in under a month. Get a dictionary, some easy phrases, and a plane ticket.

The absolute best way to learn a language is to go to the place it is spoken. If you know someone that lives in Brazil or can find something where you are immersed in the culture, you'll be fluent in the language in under a month. Get a dictionary, some easy phrases, and a plane ticket.

Been planning on learning a second language as well because I think it will add a little to the resume.

Been planning on learning a second language as well because I think it will add a little to the resume.

You can easily download Rosetta Stone. That said, I've messed around with it and I was not impressed. I've also read reviews where certain language packs have tons of mistakes.

You can easily download Rosetta Stone. That said, I've messed around with it and I was not impressed. I've also read reviews where certain language packs have tons of mistakes.

Originally Posted by aznlilrs

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom