**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

Pretty fun game! AD looked pretty good… Bron was kinda meh though

Going into yesterday’s game I was curious to see how Bron would look defensively playing against a guard/wing heavy team Canada… not sure how he looked to you guys but I thought pretty consistently when someone made a lateral move against him they were able to get a lot of separation. Not really interested in rewatching the game to confirm this though.

** Here’s the rest of the X thread just in case anyone is interested
1720708219510.png

If you were to run 2 big sets with Bron down at the 3, it then requires Bron to be the primary defender on the perimeter. Gets a ton of inside help, but the process of Bron being on ball defensively would need to happen.

There just isn’t a guy available who guards well above average to take the primary role, but also adds the 3 point shooting needed to keep up with what other teams will do from 3.

You can sell me on a lineup of

AR or DLo
Christie
Bron
AD
Wood

Wouldn’t really want Bron defending 3’s… he’d be the hidden on the worst offensive player on the floor. Depending on the opponent that could cause some pretty bad ripple effects in other areas.

Not sure of what the offense would look like with that lineup but it might work in stretches or end of game situations.

If you were to run 2 big sets with Bron down at the 3, it then requires Bron to be the primary defender on the perimeter. Gets a ton of inside help, but the process of Bron being on ball defensively would need to happen.

There just isn’t a guy available who guards well above average to take the primary role, but also adds the 3 point shooting needed to keep up with what other teams will do from 3.
1720709909042.gif

Didn’t think he was ready last year for a full time role (lacked the physicality) but it’s time to see what he can do

I’ve been looking at the idea of trying to three team Kessler and Bruce Brown but it tanks the 3 point shooting.

Which would make Trent Jr being signed and keeping DLo super important to maximize 3 point shooting from the guard spots.

It would provide a consistent on ball defender at the 3 (Bruce and Vando, Trent in some stretches), some defensive resistance to prevent inside scoring at the 4 (Bron, AD and Vando), and consistent inside presence (AD and Kessler).

Kind of the only way I think you try get as much of everything.

*If Utah is fine with 1 first and removing protections, and Toronto takes multiple seconds and Rui for Bruce, haven’t been getting any offers for him as they expected.

You can sell me on a lineup of

AR or DLo
Christie
Bron
AD
Wood

Wouldn’t really want Bron defending 3’s… he’d be the hidden on the worst offensive player on the floor. Depending on the opponent that could cause some pretty bad ripple effects in other areas.

Not sure of what the offense would look like with that lineup but it might work in stretches or end of game situations.
Think that lineup can only work if the opposing SF isn't a threat. Wouldn't want Bron defending a premier SF, AR and Christie are too small/thin them.

Think that lineup can only work if the opposing SF isn't a threat. Wouldn't want Bron defending a premier SF, AR and Christie are too small/thin them.
Max for sure wasn’t strong enough last year… but my hope is that 22 year old/year 3 Christie has gotten his weight up by now.

Problem is when there’s two elite wings like in Boston it’s checkmate for sure 😂

Max for sure wasn’t strong enough last year… but my hope is that 22 year old/year 3 Christie has gotten his weight up by now.

Problem is when there’s two elite wings like in Boston it’s checkmate for sure 😂
Think Christie is like KCP where he can really only defend guys his size or PGs. Asking him to defend up is probably not going to end well.

But I suppose it's worth a look at some point to prove.

We can argue this around in circles. DLo is the best 3 point shooter on the team. All their targets are not better at it. And every direction they are trying to move requires them to have a bunch of shooters from the guard spot.
It's all in good fun, bro :lol:

I love D Lo, and truly believed he could be a great player, but he's not. We know for a fact he's not gonna help us in the playoffs, so I think it's just time to move on.

Going into yesterday’s game I was curious to see how Bron would look defensively playing against a guard/wing heavy team Canada… not sure how he looked to you guys but I thought pretty consistently when someone made a lateral move against him they were able to get a lot of separation. Not really interested in rewatching the game to confirm this though.

Lol. I been saying this and it's obvious. The problem isn't AD at the 5, he's an elite center. The gift and curse is LeBron. He's a tweener at this point and doesn't really have a position since he can't guard the perimeter as a 3 .and he doesn't do dirty work at the 4. Enter Jared Vanderbilt who fixes both those problems but will get sat down in the playoffs if his offense doesn't improve

Think Christie is like KCP where he can really only defend guys his size or PGs. Asking him to defend up is probably not going to end well.

But I suppose it's worth a look at some point to prove.
I can see that comp but I think he has a tad bit more physical presence with his length and athleticism than KCP.

In the west teams (against the teams that matter at least) Max can be the best option to defend guys like Shai, Murray, Ant, etc… and the wing position Bron would still be on a lesser offensive threat so it still kinda works out. I’d be okay with having LBJ guarding guys like J Dub, Mcdaniels or MPJ, although I’d be worried a little about him off ball…

Maybe JJ can get weird and maybe throw some lineups out there with Bron Max Rui Wood AD as well against teams with those bigger wings like say Boston

If they can just add Bam, Steph and Tatum.

No limits for the team :lol:
Pelinka should surround AD and Bron with players who know how to play winning basketball and consistently play at a high level. Just my two cents/sense.
Do Vando, Rui, DLo, and Wood compete at a high level and play winning playoff basketball night in night out like Rondo, Caruso, Green, Javale, Kieff, and Dwight did in 2020?

Were Rondo, Caruso, Dwight, Green, and Morris on the 2020 Olympic team?

#commonsensebro

:lol:

Z
A
C
H

L
A
V
I
N
E

is the answer to your question

We can argue this around in circles. DLo is the best 3 point shooter on the team. All their targets are not better at it. And every direction they are trying to move requires them to have a bunch of shooters from the guard spot.
Three-point shooting is not the Lakers identity

They constantly rank in the bottom 10 of three-point attempts per game year in year out

Why it’s a MUST for Pelinka to trade for a starting caliber center/big

IMG_8191.jpeg

Cranjis basically saying the same thing I’ve been saying on this thread the last 3 years lol

To be very honest, you don’t even need advanced stats to see this. If you’ve watched enough championship teams over the last few decades, the Eye Test is all you’re gonna need. Advanced stats merely confirm what the eyes see

That’s such an easy answer and we don’t even need advanced stats to show it

It’s common sense really

Get Bron and AD a Javale-Dwight type shot blocker to start at center and watch the Lakers and Bron at the 3 do magic defensively

But I get it. Folks don’t have the ability to see it because they rely on nothing but stats

Ever wonder why Bron’s defensive numbers have suffered the last three years? Look at the Bigs that’s been on the team from 2022-2024 LOL. Just like AD, Bron has had to take on more of the load to rebound and defend because there’s nobody else on the team who fulfills the Dwight-Javale role therefore Bron and AD have to do MORE for the team, which has resulted in FAILURE TO WIN

#CommonSense

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom