**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

There isn't much difference. It's just that some in here can't see the forest amongst the trees. All these events didn't happen separately in a bubble. And there not excuses, it's real life. Just because it's hard to accept doesn't stop the fact that it happens

I honestly don't think people realize what it means to have an extremely young team. It has happened to all young teams just look at history.
Add the fact that Luke is new and trying to teach them how to play properly.
Add to the fact that we got obliterated by injuries a month into this learning process.

I know everybody needs someone to blame. Blame DLo, blame Randle, blame Luke, blame Mitch, blame Jim. It's just easier to point blame and wish for trades.
But it's not that simple. These things didn't happen separately, they happened together.
And believe it or not that greatfly affects a young team.

Now I'm not getting on the subject of who is a star and whatnot. That's a silly conversation to have so early in people's career.
I'd much rather you guys just admit that certain players on the team rub you the wrong way and that's why you don't like them. And if you're not willing to endure the growing pains of development than admit that too.

But the player bashing (well one player in particular) and insane trade talks are just ...interesting to say the least. It's better to lower expectations and support.

Players need support to get thru not for you to jump ship when times get hard. GoLakers

Los Angeles Lakers (27)

Big flaw: The young and struggling defense

Playing NBA-caliber defense is hard, especially for young players. Put one or two gifted young athletes in a strong defensive unit and it's certainly possible for them to thrive, but when the system is almost entirely made up of them there are going to be speed bumps. Luke Walton's Lakers are no exception as they rank 29th in the NBA in defensive efficiency, allowing 109.8 points per 100 possessions.

They've particularly struggled when at least three pieces of their young core share the floor. Of the 10 three-man combinations featuring three of Jordan Clarkson, D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, Brandon Ingram and Larry Nance Jr., the only two with a better defensive rating than the team's 109.8 are Ingram-Nance-Clarkson and Ingram-Nance-Randle. In the 84 minutes that the cornerstone trio of Russell, Ingram and Randle have shared the floor, they've allowed more than 116 points per 100 possessions.

Solution: Just keep playing the kids

The only way to get better is to play. Since the Lakers have made it clear it's all about the future, the best move here is no big move.

Though no Laker is averaging more than 30 MPG, Walton is playing the young guns at critical moments. Randle, Clarkson, Ingram and Russell rank among the top five this season for the Lakers in clutch time played (final five minutes and the score within five points) along with super sub Lou Williams. While that has certainly played a part in the Lakers having the NBA's fourth-worst defense in those situations, it's part of a necessary learning curve.

Each of the young Lakers are making individual strides on the defensive end of the floor, according to ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM). A year after ranking outside the top 60 among point guards in defensive RPM, Russell is now inside the top 40. Randle has improved his DRPM from negative-1.55 to plus-0.27 and Nance now ranks among the top 20 power forwards, 10 spots ahead of noted defensive presence Serge Ibaka, among others.

Even Clarkson, whose DRPM of minus-2.14 rates below the likes of Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers, has improved by that metric for the third straight season. Though Ingram ranks 79th out of 80 qualified small forwards, that was to be expected this early. The best thing the Lakers can do for all five is just keeping giving them opportunities -- and, hey, maybe it'll help them keep their pick.
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/18373763/how-fix-big-flaws-the-nba-four-worst-teams

So the young guys are getting better with experience?

That's weird.

Still liking my prediction of 25 wins I think to end the season. Odds have us at 27 right now, barely ahead of the Suns at 26 4th worst record in the league.
I think I had them at 24 wins before the season? The parity around the league has helped their chances of possibly falling *** backwards into the top three again. :lol:

Tank watch tonight:
Pelicans win (14)
Wolves win (11)

Last edited:
Isaiah had 52 tonight and wanted to be a Laker

We sure made some free agency blunders over the past few summers

And the celtics played back to back and 3rd game in 4 days, still played hard enough to win a tough game

Our young lakers can learn a lot from other young teams that bring effort

Last edited:
Isaiah had 52 tonight and wanted to be a Laker

We sure made some free agency blunders over the past few summers

And the celtics played back to back and 3rd game in 4 days, still played hard enough to win a tough game

Our young lakers can learn a lot from other young teams that bring effort
Naw he woulda been in the way of future super star D lo, y'all good

Best thing to do is go 18-64. Isaiah Thomas would wipe the floor with anyone on the Lakers in skill, effort, and heart. Nance the only one who comes close.

Last edited:
Brandon gonna figure this thing out I have no doubt....

Can we get NY and Lou outta here tho?

While I was ready to chase him out of here, I don't think Nick needs to go... He's been playing in system, has been shooting amazingly. Could be a 5th Guard & 3rd SF. Also not sure he has much value trade wise with a Player Option after the season

But there needs to be a lot of reshuffling.

Russell, Ingram, Randle & Nance Jr. are safe. Moz is fine for now, we've all figured he's a place holder.

Everything else can be sorted out. I guess even Nick if there is something of value there.

Last edited:
I always thought Lou needed to go just so JC and nance and now Ingram can get his minutes/shots, plus he'd be better off with a contender that needs a bench scorer anyway

Back
Top Bottom