KFC Cricket Advertisement (Australia)

- If KFC never uses black people in their commercials again. . .they would be damned for not using black people in their commercials.

- Whenever KFC uses black people in their commercials they are damned for connecting black people with fried chicken.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I'm gonna go with Racist, for 100 Alex
I refuse to buy anything KFC
indifferent.gif

smh.gif

I don't ever want to buy chicken from them ever again.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I don't see what's racist about the first commercial (Grilled vs. Fried) Dirty posted? The little black girl actually vouched for "grilled" and the white girl vouched for "fried". Oh wait, there were two black girls holding a bucket of chicken, that makes it racist....
laugh.gif

do you notice the Asians in the commercial?..
how they appear, how they are dressed, how they speak...
now compare them to the rest of the people portrayed in that commercial.

edit.
The crazy thing is that those guys are probably not acting. Just sayin'.
even if they weren't acting... what's the purpose of portraying ONLY the two Asian dudes dressed up in those particular outfits, completewith requisite headband?...while the rest of the cast are portrayed as your normal everyday American?
You're so used to the media portraying Asians as such.. that you don't even see the subtle racism in the commercial.

Originally Posted by imperialh8

- If KFC never uses black people in their commercials again. . .they would be damned for not using black people in their commercials.

- Whenever KFC uses black people in their commercials they are damned for connecting black people with fried chicken.
this

but hey you cant please everybody

no matter what people will always pick out something to complain about or scream out "racist" to

How do you even take a commercial like this. You're a black actor, you show up and they say "OK we want you to dance around and hold these 2drumsticks, no not those kind of drumsticks..."

You're so used to the media portraying Asians as such.. that you don't even see the subtle racism in the commercial.

Maybe it's because I just don't care.

I don't see those two Asian cats and say "Damn, that's how every Asian acts"

Just like when I see Latino's portrayed on tv.

I know not every Latino is like that.

I do know that some Latino's ARE like that.

Catch my drift.

"subtle" racism
laugh.gif

People are too quick to throw out the word "racism".

Catch my drift.

"subtle" racism
laugh.gif

People are too quick to dismiss it also.

I didn't see anything wrong with it.

[color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]JK. That was kind of racist.[/color]

What other ways are there to please that crowd?
eek.gif
@ the fries *Books flight to Australia"

Is his "awkward situation"

1) being surrounded by fans of the opposing team?

OR

2) being surrounded by "the blacks?"
There's no way to frame this that isn't in some way ignorant. Compare this commercial to the Korean KFC commercial Dirty posted, wherethe protagonist is captured and tied up, presumably to be cooked. How similar are these situations?

They imply that 1) to be surrounded by people of color is dangerous and 2) you can always smooth things over with fried chicken, which they love. You canargue that, as a commercial for fried chicken, the implication is that "everyone" loves fried chicken and that, therefore, it can always get you outof a jam, but how is the above scenario anything other than a reproduction of virulent, hateful stereotype?

I don't buy this "but it's Australia, there's no racism there" nonsense. I was alerted to this ad by a friend currently living inSydney. Please don't say "there's no racism in Australia" if 1) you've never lived there and 2) you're a member of the privilegedmajority. Simply because it's not your experience that racism exists in Australia doesn't make your experience universal or representative of minorityperspectives. Ask an Aboriginal Australian if there's any racism in Australia, for example.

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/people/racism.html

Catch my drift.

"subtle" racism
laugh.gif

It's called a racial stereotype. That you may not find them offensive doesn't excuse their usage or mitigate their harm.

either way that first one looks unintentional
If I drive like I'm the only person on the road, fail to look before I enter an intersection, and strike a pedestrian, am I at fault? I'mtired of this "intent" excuse.

The fact that those responsible for the ad didn't feel they NEEDED to ask any questions about it is itself indicative of privilege. (And do NOT say"but the actors could've complained." As the entertainment industry proves ad infinitum: for the right price, you can always find someonewilling to take a degrading role.)

Catch my drift.
"subtle" racism
laugh.gif

You may not care...I do...

I'm glad you don't take those two Asian dudes as representative examples of how Asians are... but you're in CA, and more specifically LA....you're exposed to many cultures daily.... there are many people in the US whose only exposure to Asians is what they see on TV. That's just pointblank reality.

as for me "throwing out" the word racism....hmmm. A major food company & a major advertising agency, most likely run by privileged Whiteexecutives, who approved such commercials?... if that's not an prime example of racism, I don't know what is.

the first video, i dont think it is racism...it is just prolly lack of knowledge of one's racial group. In Australia, they probably truly believe blackslove chicken or it could have been a coincidence to just use bunch of black fans and one white man with a box of chicken..who knows

in korea, they would believe almost anything what they see in foreign media when it comes to stereotypes....does it mean they're racist? no..just lack ofknowledge and it's prolly just for entertainment
i remember watching one korean sitcom and 2 old guys had a basketball competition and they were trying to recruit the best basketball players on their team.One guy got the best athletes in school, while the other man went to the streets and paid a few black people to play on his team because a younger dude toldhim that if you watch the NBA, they're all black.

Back
Top Bottom