Jordan 11 ‘Cherry’ Holiday 2022

All red patent leather shoes in 1996? No chance. It took people time to adjust to the black patent on the concords :lol:
😂 got a point there. The 11’s were very radical and controversial when they first dropped, but it wasn’t until the Bulls really began lighting everyone up that people started liking them.

I knew they were a classic from day 1 though, people was doubting me but I totally called it lol. Not only did they become a classic but arguably the greatest sneaker EVER, in history.

You’re right but those concords were amazing when it was first made, too bad I got into the Jordan shoes, when that 11 playoffs happened and missed out on the concords

I remember people actually liking the black/reds more around my way than the Concords. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, wanted a pair badly. I was lucky enough to get to own both but the black reds practically created mass hysteria when they came out in Spring 96’.

I didnt really pay much attention to the Concords when they came out, but my god when the Breds came out, I thought they were the greatest Air Jordan I had ever seen. I begged my mother for a pair when they dropped in 6th grade and almost got her to cave on them and get me a pair, but when Fox News Chicago ran a story about people being robbed at gunpoint for them, she refused. |l

11s were the first I believe to cause people to rob for shoes or their life smh can’t believe it came to that. Also those starters sports teams jackets were also being robbed from people.

11s were the first I believe to cause people to rob for shoes or their life smh can’t believe it came to that. Also those starters sports teams jackets were also being robbed from people.

Getting robbed for shoes was nothing new at that point…Hell, by the time this SI article came out people had already been getting hit for their Adidas Shell Toes as far back as the early Run DMC days…

1672845297058.jpeg

A lot of people don’t like these but I think it’s mostly due to the fact they aren’t part of the original 11 lineup. I could be wrong though.

Everyone loves the white/red 12 and 13 which is no surprise. In the case of the 12’s I prefer those over the white/black/taxi.
I agree with this. The 12s the following season were the same colorblocking as these. The 13s were more along the lines of the cardinal 7 and bugs bunny 8 as they had the black pods and weren't just white and red. These 11s could have absolutely passed as an og colorway.

People were getting robbed before the 5,s came out. But once the 5,s first came out, Black/Metallics and Silver Tongue Fire Reds, cats were actually getting shot and killed over those. The majority of the people who are on here probably weren't alive, or just barely born, or just a couple of years old. I had the first 1 to 8 Jordans, didn't like 9,s or 10,s. Then came back for the 11,s 12,s 13,s. I remember cats getting jumped or robbed for the 1,s 2,s 3,s 4,s. But when the 5,s and 6,s came out with those clear bottom soles, it literally hypnotized people with envy and hatred that didn't have them.

I remember those models changing the shoe game in it's entirety. Also, y'all have to remember, that back then everybody wasn't buying Jordans at that time compared to now. So you stuck out like a sore thumb whenever you wore something as different as the 5,s and 6,s back then. On everything that I love, 1,s through 4,s didn't get nearly as 30% to 40% out of the 100% of attention that the 5,s and 6,s got whenever I wore them to school, in the mall, parks or anywhere outside.

I remember having to stop wearing 5,s and 6,s depending on where i was going in the city as a pre-teen. It would get so bad to the point that grown adults would run up on me and ask me where did I get them from, how much were they, while sizing me up. I always had to walk off and keep it pushing because I was youngsters. Fast forward to now, alot of y'all wont understand what im talking about if you weren't around then. 5,s and 6,s aren't that big of a deal nowadays compared to when they first came out.

It was something waaaaay different about seeing a shoe with a clear bottom sole back then. Those 2 models hypnotized everybody because we never seen a shoe made like that before. Fast forward to the 11,s and Nike perfected an Air Jordan with a 100% fully clear Sole all around the bottom that changed the shoe game. 11,s are basically 5,s and 6,s on Steriods to me. Say or think what you want, but 5,s 6,s and 100% tge 11,s changed the shoe game in every way imaginable.

As a youngin, 3,s and 4,s started getting people robbed, some times we heard of someone getting shot and killed for not giving them up from time to time. 5,s and 6,s had people getting robbed and shot and killed on a way more frequent basis than the 3,s and 4,s. The Streets in urban communities were totally different back then if you were in a major big city like i was in the 80,s and early 90,s.

It was something called the crack era/epidemic, and major big cities were the wild wild west back then. If you were around back then, then you know what was going on. Cats stopped getting robbed and killed on a frequent basis around my way around when the 7,s and 8,s were out. Wearing 3,s 4,s 5,s and 6,s outside back then was like wearing a big Gold Rope Chain, or an all Gold Rolex in the Hood back then.

I know it was only shoes, but y'all have to remember and take into consideration that not ALOT of people were wearing Jordan 1 to 6,s back then. Either they were too expensive, or people didn't want to pay the money. They were shoes that jocks, dope dealers, and well to do people bought.

It wasn't like how it is now, everybody and their families walking around on every corner with Jordans on. It was just different back then, and you'll never understand if you weren't around.

People were getting robbed before the 5,s came out. But once the 5,s first came out, Black/Metallics and Silver Tongue Fire Reds, cats were actually getting shot and killed over those. The majority of the people who are on here probably weren't alive, or just barely born, or just a couple of years old. I had the first 1 to 8 Jordans, didn't like 9,s or 10,s. Then came back for the 11,s 12,s 13,s. I remember cats getting jumped or robbed for the 1,s 2,s 3,s 4,s. But when the 5,s and 6,s came out with those clear bottom soles, it literally hypnotized people with envy and hatred that didn't have them.

I remember those models changing the shoe game in it's entirety. Also, y'all have to remember, that back then everybody wasn't buying Jordans at that time compared to now. So you stuck out like a sore thumb whenever you wore something as different as the 5,s and 6,s back then. On everything that I love, 1,s through 4,s didn't get nearly as 30% to 40% out of the 100% of attention that the 5,s and 6,s got whenever I wore them to school, in the mall, parks or anywhere outside.

I remember having to stop wearing 5,s and 6,s depending on where i was going in the city as a pre-teen. It would get so bad to the point that grown adults would run up on me and ask me where did I get them from, how much were they, while sizing me up. I always had to walk off and keep it pushing because I was youngsters. Fast forward to now, alot of y'all wont understand what im talking about if you weren't around then. 5,s and 6,s aren't that big of a deal nowadays compared to when they first came out.

It was something waaaaay different about seeing a shoe with a clear bottom sole back then. Those 2 models hypnotized everybody because we never seen a shoe made like that before. Fast forward to the 11,s and Nike perfected an Air Jordan with a 100% fully clear Sole all around the bottom that changed the shoe game. 11,s are basically 5,s and 6,s on Steriods to me. Say or think what you want, but 5,s 6,s and 100% tge 11,s changed the shoe game in every way imaginable.

As a youngin, 3,s and 4,s started getting people robbed, some times we heard of someone getting shot and killed for not giving them up from time to time. 5,s and 6,s had people getting robbed and shot and killed on a way more frequent basis than the 3,s and 4,s. The Streets in urban communities were totally different back then if you were in a major big city like i was in the 80,s and early 90,s.

It was something called the crack era/epidemic, and major big cities were the wild wild west back then. If you were around back then, then you know what was going on. Cats stopped getting robbed and killed on a frequent basis around my way around when the 7,s and 8,s were out. Wearing 3,s 4,s 5,s and 6,s outside back then was like wearing a big Gold Rope Chain, or an all Gold Rolex in the Hood back then.

I know it was only shoes, but y'all have to remember and take into consideration that not ALOT of people were wearing Jordan 1 to 6,s back then. Either they were too expensive, or people didn't want to pay the money. They were shoes that jocks, dope dealers, and well to do people bought.

It wasn't like how it is now, everybody and their families walking around on every corner with Jordans on. It was just different back then, and you'll never understand if you weren't around.
Friend of mine had a dodgers starter jacket and a van stopped and two big guys got out and just took his jacket. The 11s cool grey was also a shoe people got shot or robbed in. I remember buying mines going out and seeing a dude take a right cross fall and they jammed with his cool greys. I was wearing my starter niner jacket my friend raiders, as we were driving, four guys on the street tried to run up to our car as it was stopped. But my friend saw them and floored it. Either you had shoes or starter jacket that some couldn’t afford and they would just rob and or shoot you for it. Picture below about the 11 tuxedo lows as some one got killed for it.
1672977865841.png

Last edited:
Starter Jackets were next level, the pullover over quarter zips in particular…The sneaker thing was the type that you’d hear a friend of a friends cousin got hit…

The Starters though, you directly knew people who got GOT…That was one of those things that if you wore them, you had to be ready to throw hands at some point…Around these parts (Las Vegas), it was Charolette Hornets, UNLV, and Georgetown jackets in that order…If you had one of those teams jackets it was just a matter of when you’d have to get down…

Y'all must've forgot about the 3's, 4's and 5s getting people clapped in the 80s.

Starter Jackets were next level, the pullover over quarter zips in particular…The sneaker thing was the type that you’d hear a friend of a friends cousin got hit…

The Starters though, you directly knew people who got GOT…That was one of those things that if you wore them, you had to be ready to throw hands at some point…Around these parts (Las Vegas), it was Charolette Hornets, UNLV, and Georgetown jackets in that order…If you had one of those teams jackets it was just a matter of when you’d have to get down…
pull a knife or gun for a jacket you can have em for me but some people get shot or stabbed because they think they can take on the person.

In some cases, people's natural instinct is to fight back and it's simply a reaction in the heat of the moment and not them thinking anything.
that is one reason but the other is "oh no i'm not gonna give up this jacket it is too expensive and i paid alot of money, maybe i can take him on and run with my jacket intact."

I lived in some townhouses in a sketch neighborhood several years back, and my brother did tattoos in that mug. We were both heavily strapped at home at that time. However, one day I was at work and I receive a call that some n.... some mfers ran in my ****(fuming thinking about it). They only stole the Js collection and the PS3.

They didn't touch the 20gs in the mattress or the 1080p TVs :smh:

Anybody got the Cliffs Notes for that essay above

He basically over hyped people getting robbed for shoes in the 90s… I was born in 84 so I was around. Yes robbery’s happened for kicks back the but it wasn’t ANYWHERE near as bad as this last decade (no large internet) Likewise because it was so unheard of it was “big news”. Ala teens killing teens for “shoes”. If anything Starter Jackets we’re the big targets back then.

I will touch on this a little though, Nobody really liked the XIs when they dropped. Patent on a basketball shoe just didn’t pop like that back then, i’d say it wasn’t until the All-Star Columbia XI that these really gained traction.

He basically over hyped people getting robbed for shoes in the 90s… I was born in 84 so I was around. Yes robbery’s happened for kicks back the but it wasn’t ANYWHERE near as bad as this last decade (no large internet) Likewise because it was so unheard of it was “big news”. Ala teens killing teens for “shoes”. If anything Starter Jackets we’re the big targets back then.

I will touch on this a little though, Nobody really liked the XIs when they dropped. Patent on a basketball shoe just didn’t pop like that back then, i’d say it wasn’t until the All-Star Columbia XI that these really gained traction.
Yep then the playoffs just went bonkers on them. But wasn’t interested in these and never saw these till the playoffs edition. Then I thought what a unique and good shoe. Hooked ever since. And from the cool greys and up there was indeed some being killed for these. That poor guy just getting punched in the face. Still in my mind today and for only shoes oh boy.

Back
Top Bottom