Joey Bada$$ 1999 mixtape

Agreed on all points. And I do need to spend more time with B4 Da $$, too. Lupe's all I've really been listening to, so Joey kinda took a backseat.

Perhaps I'm being tough on him because 1999 blew me away so much. I hold him to a really high standard, but I do love the album.

And yes, Curry Chicken is super dope. I love how his topics seem to have expanded. You can see his growth from 1999 to now.

Great album. Also glad he didn't abandon that classic New York sound, but he also didnt get stuck in it. He's got a really bright future.

Last edited:
Been listening all morning, and I will say thus flows a lot better than I gave him credit for.

Like I said before, it takes me a while for an album to click for me. Feels like it's starting to click, now.:lol:

Loving the album thus far and I'm only up to Belly of the Beast lol.

I don't know if anything will ever feel like 1999 but that's alright. I hold that album in such high regard it's almost impossible to top it.

Really digging Hazeus View and Save the Children :smokin classic NY/Pro Era/JB sound

Been listening all morning, and I will say thus flows a lot better than I gave him credit for.

Like I said before, it takes me a while for an album to click for me. Feels like it's starting to click, now.
laugh.gif
I feel the same way, but its amusing how we're conditioned to automatically feel guilty and pass an album on if it doesnt jive the first time around. I don't feel thats something our parents did. 

I mean, it took about 6 months for Killer Mike's 'Rap Music' to really click with me and now I find it amazing. 

Having said that, first impressions of B4.DA.$$ after three spins, 8/10. He did a great job. I want more introspectiveness out of him (i.e. Curry Chicken) but given that this is only a debut album, he has a bright future ahead of him. 

i had high hopes for this album & i think he put together a very good debut. it was good to see that he stayed true to his style on here.

-save the children was a great way to start the album off... i really enjoyed that jazz feel to the beat
-paper trails is amazing... him & premier do great work on tracks
-i really like the smooth tracks throughout the album (peace of mind, like me, on & on, etc)
-big dusty, no. 99, & christ conscious still knock :pimp:
-good to see him create such a personal track like curry chicken

great overall project with a lot of replay value. whats cool to see is he's still only going to get better.

Agreed on all points. And I do need to spend more time with B4 Da $$, too. Lupe's all I've really been listening to, so Joey kinda took a backseat.

Perhaps I'm being tough on him because 1999 blew me away so much. I hold him to a really high standard, but I do love the album.

And yes, Curry Chicken is super dope. I love how his topics seem to have expanded. You can see his growth from 1999 to now.

Great album. Also glad he didn't abandon that classic New York sound, but he also didnt get stuck in it. He's got a really bright future.

Yeah man I love the growth....agreed about how he didn't get stuck on the sound.

I hear what some of you are saying about 1999. I love that project and still play it a lot today because it was so refreshing to hear that from a young NY artist.....however I think this is is definitely his most complete work and I agree the young man is only going to get better.

Also I generally don't care about sales but I really want to see him do well and I am intrigued to see how he sells.

Last edited:
Had no clue this dropped until I saw it at Best Buy whilst picking up Lupe. Had to cop off the strength of 1999.

Glad I did. Best $7.99 I've spent in awhile. Kid is the truth.

After a few more listens I am bumping my rating up to 4.5/5.

As others have

I replaced the awful bonus tracks with Get Paid and Born Day. :lol:

After a first spin, the album takes a dive after Christ Conscious, IMO.  The vibe of the album totally changes and it doesn't really match what came before it.  Not bad songs by any means, but they just don't fit--feels like they tacked them on the end of the album to make it longer.  

Whatever the case, the majority of this joint bangs, so I'm pleased.  
pimp.gif

So since Friday I have had Tetsuo and Youth in constant repeat. I downloaded Joey but didn't really try to listen. Yesterday I started really listening ...... :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

This album is flames. I loved 1999, Summer Knight's was decent, but this is so dope to me, i love it.

Between this and Lupe, I have a good feeling about Hip Hop in 2015.

This, Lupe, and Cole :smokin :smokin :smokin

Both bonus tracks are garbarge.....probably Joeys worst tracks ever.

But I never put any value on a bonus track when reviewing an album.

Been bumping this album it's very solid. It's got a few I'll skip but I expected with how long an album it is. Joey was my favorite rapper for a while after 1999 and I been waiting to see what his real album would be like what feels like forever. My expectations dropped as time went on and I'm glad because now I can just enjoy it for what it is.

New interview with Sway

/VIDEO]

I guess I gotta check out Lupe's album. Didn't know it was that good. I hated his last album.

Last edited:
Piece of Mind though... Probably my favorite track on the album. Just so smooth and jazzy :pimp:

Really liking what I'm hearing thus far. Joey definitely delivered.

Back
Top Bottom