Job hunting is more challenging than getting the actual degree Vol. Jobs/ Experience

even though i dont like my job, im not quitting and be unemployed again. it's a !@+%% trying to find a job. just job hunting on the side while working this retail job.  crazy to see how many overqualified candidates apply to our job.  times are tough
tired.gif

even though i dont like my job, im not quitting and be unemployed again. it's a !@+%% trying to find a job. just job hunting on the side while working this retail job.  crazy to see how many overqualified candidates apply to our job.  times are tough
tired.gif

Originally Posted by shoeking2345

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

Anybody gettin the "overqualified" tag

I tried to apply at a department store that just opened and I got the ax just based on my resume

lol I've gotten that as well. I think employers feel that we will leave as soon as we find a "real" job, which is true, so I understand it lol
Bro they told me I can't be a manager at Subway this yr cuz they r scared I will bounce...I was a manager at Quiznos for 5 yrs smh

I just wanna get some cash on the side and keep studying for this damn LSAT but no one will hire smh...they see Im bout to graduate college and I swear its an automatic no go.

Originally Posted by shoeking2345

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

Anybody gettin the "overqualified" tag

I tried to apply at a department store that just opened and I got the ax just based on my resume

lol I've gotten that as well. I think employers feel that we will leave as soon as we find a "real" job, which is true, so I understand it lol
Bro they told me I can't be a manager at Subway this yr cuz they r scared I will bounce...I was a manager at Quiznos for 5 yrs smh

I just wanna get some cash on the side and keep studying for this damn LSAT but no one will hire smh...they see Im bout to graduate college and I swear its an automatic no go.

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

**@# is a conundrom.

Can't get a job cuz i don't have experience, can't get experience cuz I don't have a job.
This
mad.gif

!!!+ it, I'ma just bs my next resume.. I got the connects/references...

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

**@# is a conundrom.

Can't get a job cuz i don't have experience, can't get experience cuz I don't have a job.
This
mad.gif

!!!+ it, I'ma just bs my next resume.. I got the connects/references...

i know just as many people with Masters degrees that don't have jobs. they have the education but still no experience. the key is to get a job, work for a while, then go back to school within a reasonable amount of time.

...and that who you know statement only goes so far too. I know plenty of people (especially from university alumni/fraternity connections) and I sat down with many and they were like we'd love to help you out but you need experience (even having 2+ years at a law firm and several months at a think tank). The job I have had nothing to do with any of the people I networked with or even previously worked for, but they will be useful down the road, when I build a solid base with experience.

i know just as many people with Masters degrees that don't have jobs. they have the education but still no experience. the key is to get a job, work for a while, then go back to school within a reasonable amount of time.

...and that who you know statement only goes so far too. I know plenty of people (especially from university alumni/fraternity connections) and I sat down with many and they were like we'd love to help you out but you need experience (even having 2+ years at a law firm and several months at a think tank). The job I have had nothing to do with any of the people I networked with or even previously worked for, but they will be useful down the road, when I build a solid base with experience.

Sometimes you gotta fudge that resume and tell them what they want to hear as far as the experience stuff goes, chances are you will still be trained once they hire you. Don't let the experience discourage you from even applying

Sometimes you gotta fudge that resume and tell them what they want to hear as far as the experience stuff goes, chances are you will still be trained once they hire you. Don't let the experience discourage you from even applying

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

THIS!!! That frustrates me as well. IF you hire me, you going to train me on how your system works. Especially for an entry-level position. I don't think anybody will just throw you in the fire.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

THIS!!! That frustrates me as well. IF you hire me, you going to train me on how your system works. Especially for an entry-level position. I don't think anybody will just throw you in the fire.

Thanks for all the info guys. I just got offered a job at Micros Systems Inc. in Columbia, MD. 17.78 per hour. (38K per year). Still looking to see if I can get something closer to Baltimore.

Thanks for all the info guys. I just got offered a job at Micros Systems Inc. in Columbia, MD. 17.78 per hour. (38K per year). Still looking to see if I can get something closer to Baltimore.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

GREAT point.

Just because you guy's cant find work, dont be so quick to jump back into the school route.  While it may ultimately help you land a good gig, there is an equal chance that it will just put you deeper into debt, but in the same position you are right now.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

GREAT point.

Just because you guy's cant find work, dont be so quick to jump back into the school route.  While it may ultimately help you land a good gig, there is an equal chance that it will just put you deeper into debt, but in the same position you are right now.

Miss me with that ol who know stuff. I've known a few people for years with high positions, non-professionally and still cant get anywhere. Maybe they low-key hate me lolol

Miss me with that ol who know stuff. I've known a few people for years with high positions, non-professionally and still cant get anywhere. Maybe they low-key hate me lolol

Originally Posted by krazy88s

hahahaha you also kinda gotta have skills (not saying you dont)

i am very careful who i recommend or vouch for professionally.  not that my name/reputation carries any weight, but i'm not trying to make myself look any worse by vouching for some lazy shleprock.  for instance, i have not and will not ever vouch for my baby sister or recommend her to any of my friends, colleagues, whoever because i know she has a poor work ethic.

Back
Top Bottom