Jigga on using BIG's rhymes

Why we gonna act like sampling isn't clearly acknowledged and that writing rhymes was actually one of the most meaningful parts of it? Like that actually meant something.

Dudes really trying to draw this parallel like it's a good thing. If it's not an issue for yall fine but like I said I guess that's what becomes the norm now so biting is accepted.

I don't even get the logic that kids won't be able to hear Biggie's music so they should be able to somehow in the form of someone else spitting his rhymes. $%!$@% trying to spin biting in to some justifiable cause
laugh.gif
"He just doing it to keep _____'s memory alive." but dudes turn around and tear Puff apart for recycling  Big verses for another album.

30t6p3b.gif
@ the !*@$#% running out of rhymes excuse. I guess hip hop is dying.

laugh.gif
Sampling is NOT the same thing as biting.If I take the SAME sample that someone used and use it the EXACT SAME WAY as the other cat did (sort of like Just Blaze did with the Beatminerz joint)
then THAT'S biting.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

laugh.gif
Sampling is NOT the same thing as biting.If I take the SAME sample that someone used and use it the EXACT SAME WAY as the other cat did (sort of like Just Blaze did with the Beatminerz joint)
then THAT'S biting.
its all semantics
"In musicsampling is the act of taking a portion, or sample, of one sound recording and reusing it as an instrument or a different sound recording of a song or piece"

Taking a portion of Herbie Hancocks (Jessica) plus his years of musical training and looping it for 4 bars is not "biting"? but reciting another rapper's (whom he happened to know personally) lyrics once or twice an album is? What about the hundreds of idioms and quotes rappers bite? 

I hate that Chris Brown sampled Human Nature I dont mine if Waka recites a Nas lyric   

Im just trying to understand the streets 
nerd.gif

^I mean I see what you're getting at Tune,but I still think there's a slight difference.I mean it doesn't really bother me as far as the lyrics go,but i'd like to hear cats put a clever spin on the lyric as opposed to just spittin' it as is.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Why we gonna act like sampling isn't clearly acknowledged and that writing rhymes was actually one of the most meaningful parts of it? Like that actually meant something.

Dudes really trying to draw this parallel like it's a good thing. If it's not an issue for yall fine but like I said I guess that's what becomes the norm now so biting is accepted.

I don't even get the logic that kids won't be able to hear Biggie's music so they should be able to somehow in the form of someone else spitting his rhymes. $%!$@% trying to spin biting in to some justifiable cause
laugh.gif
"He just doing it to keep _____'s memory alive." but dudes turn around and tear Puff apart for recycling  Big verses for another album.

30t6p3b.gif
@ the !*@$#% running out of rhymes excuse. I guess hip hop is dying.

laugh.gif
You act as if Jay crafted all of his lyrics (or most of his lyrics, or hell, a large part of his lyrics) from what BIG already spit. Dude's been in the game for what, 15 years? You think people could do that AND stay relevant like he does by simply using another man's lyrics? The most oblivious music listeners aren't dumb like that.

Btw cartune brought up a great point about sampling. You'd be surprised to know how many people STILL listen to 'Gangsta's Paradise' and think that the melody and hook is all Coolio and not borrowed from Stevie Wonder
laugh.gif
Alot of hyprocisy going on in here, and this stems from everything Ace said earlier.

The way people talking in here you would think jay did it in ever song... Or he made his albums exactly like B.I.G.

Like dude said its just a reason to not like him... But at the end of the day... with or without big's lyrics Jay is one of the greatest.

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Spoiler [+]
Pusha-T1-239x250.jpg
  ...NEVER QUOTE HIM - I AIN'T KNOW HIM.
Spoiler [+]
If you ain't kissed his momma how the %!+% you ride for him?
You **** eating %%$%#$ prolly wished you died for him
And I admired his work, but I ain't never cried for him!

pusha-t%20cocaine.jpg

"They say this took confidence, I just call it patience/ 'cause I had to much pride to take this %@++##%+**@*$ cadence"

Originally Posted by dreClark

Spoiler [+]
Pusha-T1-239x250.jpg
Spoiler [+]

If you ain't kissed his momma how the +*@% you ride for him?
You **** eating +@%%!* prolly wished you died for him

http://blogs.phoenixnewti...un/pusha-t cocaine.jpg src="http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/pusha-t cocaine.jpg">

"They say this took confidence, I just call it patience/ 'cause I had to much pride to take this %@++##%+**@*$ cadence"

That.

0d515846728d57a1d1605b80b90ac668ce8ac48_r.gif

My issue with it is this, the kids in this generation  doesn't know they're Big's lines and its not like he's or anyone else are coming out and citing sources. Case in point a vast majority of Wayne fans didn't even know that the bars he spit at the end of the verse were in fact Jays from Vol 1.  We had posters on here quoting them talking about how Wayne got off
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

laugh.gif
You act as if Jay crafted all of his lyrics (or most of his lyrics, or hell, a large part of his lyrics) from what BIG already spit. 
No and stop it. All your posts are filled with assumptions and hyperbolic statements. Refusing to argue the actual topic. I never said anything close to what you're posting. If you don't think it's a big deal, that's you. Trying to spin shh to make irrelevant points.

I'd feel the same way with anyone else like Fat Joe spitting Pun lyrics.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Spoiler [+]
Pusha-T1-239x250.jpg
Spoiler [+]

http://blogs.phoenixnewti...un/pusha-t cocaine.jpg src="http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/pusha-t cocaine.jpg">

That.

My issue with it is this, the kids in this generation  doesn't know they're Big's lines and its not like he's or anyone else are coming out and citing sources. Case in point a vast majority of Wayne fans didn't even know that the bars he spit at the end of the verse were in fact Jays from Vol 1.  We had posters on here quoting them talking about how Wayne got off
30t6p3b.gif

Man, that **!% was sad
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
...but if you think about it - this whole "citing/quoting" became an issue when Nas called him out on it on "Ether".

Combine that with "Em murdered you on your own **!%" makin' everybody now afraid to let their guest feature eat 'em, and you've got N. Jones changing two facets of hip hop with one song... 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by JR Paperstacks

He made this practice acceptable. I remember when it was frowned upon to say anything even kinda close to something somebody else said.

Yep. An accusation of "biting" was like grounds for beef. Not just rap, but graf, breakin, etc.
I don't think it's a HUGE deal, but let's not act he's only done it once or twice. Jay has done it a quite many times. And not just Big either.

Sampling and reciting one's line verbatim is not the same thing at all....

Spoiler [+]
Pusha-T1-239x250.jpg
Spoiler [+]

That.

30t6p3b.gif

....but thats their ignorance though.

laugh.gif
 @ this being an issue.

from BIG to Jay, PUN to Joe, or Pimp C to Bun B....i have NO probelms with it.

Man, that **!% was sad
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
...but if you think about it - this whole "citing/quoting" became an issue when Nas called him out on it on "Ether".

Combine that with "Em murdered you on your own **!%" makin' everybody now afraid to let their guest feature eat 'em, and you've got N. Jones changing two facets of hip hop with one song... 
roll.gif

- ugh, dont even get me started on that....

....what happened was dudes is followers more than anything, and once Nas said it cats started looking for it like a bunch of *!@%$%% sheep
30t6p3b.gif
. before that line it was never an issue (with the consumer) about who bodied who. NEVER.

- i think back on "The What" with Meth and BIG, "Its like that" w/ Redman and KSolo, or "how high" with Meth and Red, we were just happy to have such fire on one track. who outshined who was never an issue with the consumer.  its about as dumb as when the average listeners adopted the infamous "switch ya drums up B!!"
laugh.gif
. cats just heard that %%!# and started repeating it.

I completely understand that in New York up until the early 90's it was a sin to spit someone's rhymes. Just like someone said above hearing someone spit something @ one burrough then going to another and spitting that samething in another burrough. The thing about biting is you got to put it in context. You got to ask yourself why would Jay spit biggies lines a few times in his songs. To me a biter is someone who spits another mans rhymes while trying to pass them off as his own. Now there is no way Jay could b doing it for this reason because EVERYONE knows biggies rhymes ...especially when he started doing it. Your talking about the most influential man in hip hop if not that in new york hip hop. So to me it was never to bite the man cuz Jay is smart enough to know he could never get away with that. I thinl he still does for this exact reason. When somebody listens to a certain Jay song they'll say "hey I heard that before that's BIGs line" then they will go through BIGs music to listen to just off that one line.

laugh.gif
You act as if Jay crafted all of his lyrics (or most of his lyrics, or hell, a large part of his lyrics) from what BIG already spit. 
No and stop it. All your posts are filled with assumptions and hyperbolic statements. Refusing to argue the actual topic. I never said anything close to what you're posting. If you don't think it's a big deal, that's you. Trying to spin shh to make irrelevant points.

Spinning what, exactly? YOU'RE the one with the issue with this. I'm simply giving you the other side of the argument. Maybe you should stop listening to hip-hop. Actually, maybe you should stop listening to music in general, because this kind of 'biting' thing (whether lyrics or music) HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.And if I hear one one dude about "but sampling doesn't count..."
laugh.gif
Guess what NT? There are people out there who don't like hip-hop, and guess what they use for one of their reasons why? Them: "You guys 'steal' other artists music and use it for your songs!" Us: "But we give them credit for the sample and they get paid royalties!" "Them: "Nah THAT doesn't count, kids hear your music all the time and think it's YOUR idea! Hip-hop ruins music!" I coulda sworn I done talked to a bunch of different people who dislike hip-hop who say the same thing, they dont give a damn if the sample is just a PART of an original idea (like Jay with BIG's lyrics). Hmm, sounds like the SAME people getting on rappers for using lines doesn't it?

Y'all some hypocrites
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
Pusha-T1-239x250.jpg
Spoiler [+]

That.

30t6p3b.gif

<You're one of the smarter posters around here. You KNOW Wayne using a couple Jay lines =/= him not using his own ideas for verses. Kids are mainly gonna remember the lines that WAYNE spit, the vast majority which are his lyrics. Like dude said, it's on the listener to recognize lines that were used before. There's actually a plus to this - I know one person who I actually told "That verse at the end of Mr. Carter is actually Jay's", and he went to listen to Vol. 1 to hear the original song. Never listened to Jay before, and now he got his whole discography (and he still bumps Wayne).

Like I said, people gets up in arms about it too much.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

As the homie above mentioned I agree and think its comical that this is even at issue. Hip hop is built off of using bits and pieces of other genres. A lot of rhymes get recycled or said in a similar way. Kids who didn't grow up on Biggie will probably never know his genius unless they're exposed to it somehow. There are kids out there who think Lil Wayne is better than Biggie. I think Jay-Z giving props to other rappers really should be appreciated. At the end of the day I don't condone biting but I don't look at this as straight up biting. I know when someone is trying to pull a fast one on me and this hardly qualifies lol.  Honestly I think in hiphop we have these maxims that we follow blindly because its what we've always been told. No snitching, no biting, bros before @@$*, etc. lol. I think its much more prudent to approach things logically and react accordingly. Logic tells me that if I witness a murder I should "snitch" to the cops. Logic also tells me that Jay-Z has 0 need or motivation to "bite" rhymes. Now if some small time rapper or up and coming guy tries it its questionable. When hip hop first started things were a little more stringent because it was a new world and everyone was carving out their niche. But now hip hop is omnipresent. Lines get repeated regularly. How many "I'm the isht" punchlines have we heard just this year? Lol. Recycling a classic line, especially by someone as notable and talented as Jay-Z falls epicly short of the biting that hurt the game in its inception where you could hear a rhyme in brooklyn and go spit that same rhyme at a cypher in the bronx and none would be the wiser. In this day and age there's no hiding using a known rappers rhymes. Now biting off someone unknown would be worthy of rebuke.

Great logical post.  I agree with everything you said 100%. Sadly some in this thread are able to separate when someone like you said is trying to pull a fast one and use someone elses lyrics as their own and when someone is paying homage. I really would love someone to answer the question as to why Jay is critized for paying homage in what is an extremely small percentage of his total rhymes?!

30t6p3b.gif

< You're one of the smarter posters around here. You KNOW Wayne using a couple Jay lines =/= him not using his own ideas for verses. Kids are mainly gonna remember the lines that WAYNE spit, the vast majority which are his lyrics. Like dude said, it's on the listener to recognize lines that were used before. There's actually a plus to this - I know one person who I actually told "That verse at the end of Mr. Carter is actually Jay's", and he went to listen to Vol. 1 to hear the original song. Never listened to Jay before, and now he got his whole discography (and he still bumps Wayne).

Like I said, people gets up in arms about it too much.

Oh don't get me twisted I know that there are definitely kids who do their homework if given the information I was simply pointing out that a large majority of the casual listeners (which is what todays generation is honestly) don't care to or have the attention span to go back and get in tune with some classic material.  Thus they have no foundation so when they hear a line from said Artist who just so happened to have borrow it for another Artist they respect because that line meant something to them, that listeners only associates it with the artist they heard it from.

I know people to this day that refused to believe that "When The Remy's In The System Aint No Tellin When I %%#! em Will I Diss em I'ma Pimp By Blood Not Relation Y'all Be Chasin I Replace em" is not a Jay Z line and won't listen to reason
laugh.gif

The casual listener is who I feel for because they're stupid.

laugh.gif

Spinning what, exactly? YOU'RE the one with the issue with this. I'm simply giving you the other side of the argument. Maybe you should stop listening to hip-hop. Actually, maybe you should stop listening to music in general, because this kind of 'biting' thing (whether lyrics or music) HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.And if I hear one one dude about "but sampling doesn't count..."
laugh.gif
Guess what NT? There are people out there who don't like hip-hop, and guess what they use for one of their reasons why? Them: "You guys 'steal' other artists music and use it for your songs!" Us: "But we give them credit for the sample and they get paid royalties!" "Them: "Nah THAT doesn't count, kids hear your music all the time and think it's YOUR idea! Hip-hop ruins music!" I coulda sworn I done talked to a bunch of different people who dislike hip-hop who say the same thing, they dont give a damn if the sample is just a PART of an original idea (like Jay with BIG's lyrics). Hmm, sounds like the SAME people getting on rappers for using lines doesn't it?

Y'all some hypocrites
laugh.gif
You're not giving the other side of the argument. You've consistently made hyperbolic statements. Starting of your reply with "You act like" is not the other side of the argument. That's you making shh up by putting words in my mouth and telling me what I think. FOOHWTBS

The sampling argument is weak as %%$+. That train of thought you're completely fine with dudes not writing their rhymes at all cuz R&B singers do it.

Maybe you didn't know but biting has never been okay. You over here trying to justify it with a weak example. We talking about the rhymes, biggest part that makes it hip hop especially regarding this topic. Since Jay explained it away though, now ppl who don't like or condone it are the hypocrites for not addressing producers who sample. Big he was paying homage to, now he a historian when he spit Pac or Em lyrics
laugh.gif

It's a shame how far yall will go cuz with this argument you're presenting you're not even defending Jay, you're defending biting. If a producer can sample a beat, a rapper can spit another rapper's rhyms
30t6p3b.gif

^^^That was a great way to put it

"If a producer can sample a beat, a rapper can spit another rapper's rhyms"

Anyways, this punk said you can WRITE your verses & I'll come up w/ mine lol
pimp.gif
<>.

laugh.gif

Y'all some hypocrites
laugh.gif
You're not giving the other side of the argument. You've consistently made hyperbolic statements. Starting of your reply with "You act like" is not the other side of the argument. That's you making shh up by putting words in my mouth and telling me what I think. FOOHWTBS

The sampling argument is weak as %%$+. That train of thought you're completely fine with dudes not writing their rhymes at all cuz R&B singers do it.

Maybe you didn't know but biting has never been okay. You over here trying to justify it with a weak example. We talking about the rhymes, biggest part that makes it hip hop especially regarding this topic. Since Jay explained it away though, now ppl who don't like or condone it are the hypocrites for not addressing producers who sample. Big he was paying homage to, now he a historian when he spit Pac or Em lyrics
laugh.gif

It's a shame how far yall will go cuz with this argument you're presenting you're not even defending Jay, you're defending biting. If a producer can sample a beat, a rapper can spit another rapper's rhyms
30t6p3b.gif

You ever ACTUALLY talk to some people who don't listen to or like hip-hop? Ask them what they think about "sampling". To them, sampling is a "crime". "Stealing". Used by ignorant and talentless black folk (yup, some people DO use those words or similar ones that aren't appropriate for posting) who don't know anything about music or how to play instruments. Given your posts about Jay and his lyrics, I'm sure you would agree with them along those same lines, right?
laugh.gif

People in here act as if hip-hop is the first and only genre where other artists borrow - whoops, I mean "bite", sorry - other artists ideas/lyrics. NOPE. This been a concept as old as the Beatles in their heyday, and that's just looking at the modern era of pop music.

You can whine about Jay/BIG, but you look silly when you do that and then give ripping entire musical compositions/vocal performances by talented musicians (and looping them into beats in a machine that programs pre-recorded drum sounds) a free pass. Whoops - I mean "sampling"
wink.gif

He did make biting ok, but the difference is like he said that aint a crutch for him. It's simply homage on his part, other dudes not so much. If BIG was alive I think most of you know that he would see it as homage. That's the difference

laugh.gif

Y'all some hypocrites
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

You ever ACTUALLY talk to some people who don't listen to or like hip-hop? Ask them what they think about "sampling". To them, sampling is a "crime". "Stealing". Used by ignorant and talentless black folk (yup, some people DO use those words or similar ones that aren't appropriate for posting) who don't know anything about music or how to play instruments. Given your posts about Jay and his lyrics, I'm sure you would agree with them along those same lines, right?
laugh.gif

People in here act as if hip-hop is the first and only genre where other artists borrow - whoops, I mean "bite", sorry - other artists ideas/lyrics. NOPE. This been a concept as old as the Beatles in their heyday, and that's just looking at the modern era of pop music.

You can whine about Jay/BIG, but you look silly when you do that and then give ripping entire musical compositions/vocal performances by talented musicians (and looping them into beats in a machine that programs pre-recorded drum sounds) a free pass. Whoops - I mean "sampling"
wink.gif

.....dont waste your time bruh. it's obvious dude lives inside a bubble. cats like him will NEVER understand what you just laid out.

- and you're 1000% right on how people outside of HH view sampling.

Back
Top Bottom