Jigga on using BIG's rhymes

i cant be the only one who thought of camrons compilation when i read the title
laugh.gif

I say a B.I.G. verse, Im only Bigging up my brother

I never saw it as a big deal... Just Jay paying homage.

^I thought about it and I thought about how ridiculous it was considering the compliation/other stuff people claim Jay was "biting" is less that 2% of his total lyrics.

I never really saw it as an issue as far as Jay's concerned, not that young man Dwayne Carter, maaaaaaan

He should never be doing it to begin with
laugh.gif
@ addressing it again. Just a shame it took Nas to bring this to most ppl's attention. Sad thing is for all the originality dudes claim to have this is a commonplace practice in rap and runs parallel with rapper's dissing the act of spitting the next man's rhymes.

The "Big's lyrics isn't even the majority of Jay's rhymes" completely misses the point same with the "I knew they were Biggie's lyrics anyway."

He made this practice acceptable. I remember when it was frowned upon to say anything even kinda close to something somebody else said.

^Word.
On some occasions biting the next man's $!+# would get you knocked out.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

laugh.gif
@ addressing it again. Just a shame it took Nas to bring this to most ppl's attention. Sad thing is for all the originality dudes claim to have this is a commonplace practice in rap and runs parallel with rapper's dissing the act of spitting the next man's rhymes.

The "Big's lyrics isn't even the majority of Jay's rhymes" completely misses the point same with the "I knew they were Biggie's lyrics anyway."

Yawn.With the classic liners the both those dudes spit, I'd probably quote them too
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Yawn.With the classic liners the both those dudes spit, I'd probably quote bite them too
laugh.gif
Well unfortunately that's the mindset for these fake rappers coming in the game today. Just make an excuse for it later.

laugh.gif

so hov is wrong for paying homage to big? i understand if it was being used on a constant basis but its not that serious 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

laugh.gif

so hov is wrong for paying homage to big? i understand if it was being used on a constant basis but its not that serious 
eyes.gif
He can pay homage without spitting his rhymes though.

Saying all that garbage about being a historian of the game and shh. Other poster was right dude made it okay to bite, just need an excuse.

Anybody think at the end he was hinting at thinking he's a better rapper than B.I.G.. I only cared when I was a big Killa Cam fan but at the end of the day BIG influenced Jay in a major way as far as rhymes and lyrics. 

laugh.gif

eyes.gif

Saying all that garbage about being a historian of the game and shh. Other poster was right dude made it okay to bite, just need an excuse.

He COULD pay homage in another way. He chose to do it HIS way though.If it bothers you like that, don't listen to the man's music. Simple as that.

Big was my fav rapper so I always thought it was cool when somebody put his raps in their verse in fly way...like a tip of the hat

Folks who ain't fond of Jay use this as a crutch and this video won't change most of their position... even tho its spot on

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

Big was my fav rapper so I always thought it was cool when somebody put his raps in their verse in fly way...like a tip of the hat

Folks who ain't fond of Jay use this as a crutch and this video won't change most of their position... even tho its spot on
You nailed it.
/thread

basically

Agreed. Ignorantly those who use this as a crutch do not realize how small of a percentage of Jay's lyrics where he used Big's lines actually are.  In my opinion its comical that it is even an "issue."

eyes.gif

He COULD pay homage in another way. He chose to do it HIS way though.If it bothers you like that, don't listen to the man's music. Simple as that.
All I did was call a spade a spade. Nothing I said had anything to do with your reply. You right though. He chose that. Okaying an excuse for biting.

All I did was call a spade a spade. Nothing I said had anything to do with your reply. You right though. He chose that. Okaying an excuse for biting.

You call it biting, I call it homage *kanyeshrug* As Ace said, your own view of the dude will influence what you label it.

As the homie above mentioned I agree and think its comical that this is even at issue. Hip hop is built off of using bits and pieces of other genres. A lot of rhymes get recycled or said in a similar way. Kids who didn't grow up on Biggie will probably never know his genius unless they're exposed to it somehow. There are kids out there who think Lil Wayne is better than Biggie. I think Jay-Z giving props to other rappers really should be appreciated. At the end of the day I don't condone biting but I don't look at this as straight up biting. I know when someone is trying to pull a fast one on me and this hardly qualifies lol.  Honestly I think in hiphop we have these maxims that we follow blindly because its what we've always been told. No snitching, no biting, bros before @@$*, etc. lol. I think its much more prudent to approach things logically and react accordingly. Logic tells me that if I witness a murder I should "snitch" to the cops. Logic also tells me that Jay-Z has 0 need or motivation to "bite" rhymes. Now if some small time rapper or up and coming guy tries it its questionable. When hip hop first started things were a little more stringent because it was a new world and everyone was carving out their niche. But now hip hop is omnipresent. Lines get repeated regularly. How many "I'm the isht" punchlines have we heard just this year? Lol. Recycling a classic line, especially by someone as notable and talented as Jay-Z falls epicly short of the biting that hurt the game in its inception where you could hear a rhyme in brooklyn and go spit that same rhyme at a cypher in the bronx and none would be the wiser. In this day and age there's no hiding using a known rappers rhymes. Now biting off someone unknown would be worthy of rebuke.

He knew the man personally... It was his friend...

I guess producers sampling is not biting at all...

People are over exaggerating it

We talking bout a genre that samples everybody's music and damn near tries to hide it

God forbid a rapper quotes his best friend's every 17 songs.

Like JR said - Jay made this acceptable, but there was a time when all this "quoting" jive was just flat out considered biting...
"Your reign on the top..."

Spoiler [+]
Pusha-T1-239x250.jpg
  ...NEVER QUOTE HIM - I AIN'T KNOW HIM.

Back
Top Bottom