Jermaine O'Neal's knee............damn..............

Link

It's not as simple when pondering the possibility of Jermaine O'Neal shutting it down in Indiana.

After undergoing knee surgery following last season, the perennial All-Star hobbled around this year. Playing on one leg, JO averaged 15.3 points, 7.3 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks in 33 games before it was reported over the holiday weekend that he would miss at least two weeks to recover from a bone bruise in the same knee. In other words, the dude's knee isn't totally healed-just like Gilbert Arenas-and he's starting to worry about the next five years as opposed to the next five months.

I can't even blame JO for considering a shutdown at midseason after what I saw last spring, when he valiantly played on the bad knee until it gave out on him. It literally pained me to watch him play. He nearly averaged a triple double when you consider winces per game. No one would have said a word if JO had played the 'knee card' and shut her down. But he didn't do it. He went down bailing water from the Pacers' sinking ship.

And when you factor in the Arenas situation, in which he caused a setback to his surgically repaired knee by working too hard to return (how unfair is that?), it has to give JO much pause to think he might be doing long-term damage as he plays.

Check out some recent quotes from JO in the Indianapolis Star and draw your own conclusions:

"Over the last two years I've dealt with the knee situation. I tore the meniscus and last year I played, obviously, more than I should have. That took an effect."

"The fact of the matter of it is, since the surgery I haven't recovered. I shouldn't have started camp when I started, which was the first day."

"(Playing at) 60 percent may be causing me to shorten my career and beyond that. It could have a major effect on my health. From all the painkillers, the injections, being able to walk. I walk with a limp now at 29 years old because the knee is so irritated in so many different areas."

"I want to apologize to my teammates, coaching staff and the fans because I know it's important for me to be out there. In order for me to have a shot on getting back to a respectable level that I'm used to playing at, I have to take time off."

"Taking the nine pain relievers a day has affected me in such a major way, to the point that I had to take a test to see how my liver is holding up. The pain I played with has been extraordinary."

damn.....basically J.O's been gutting it out for the past 2 seasons
smh.gif
........ I could tell watching him play this season he was playing hurt, but I didn't know it was this bad....... Dude should have taken the timeto heal his knee instead of coming back so soon..... Dude is a warrior and stand up leader and its sad to see how much his knee has affected him
tired.gif

O'neal duo should retire....
Really, he's set for life (financially), he could help out in management or coaching staff.
Why not? I'm sure people from Indiana love him and won't blame him if he leaves.

that sucks but stuff happens. he should have just had surgery and took it easy before coming back

That would suck for Indiana if JO has to retire because of his knee. They already lost Bender to two bad knees. They invested a lot of capital in theseplayers. Who is making the final call for JO to suit up and play? It has to be JO.

His career seemed to spiral after the Basketbrawl. There was a time where he was considered one of the best PFs in the game.

Jermaine should def. take as much time as he needs to get back to 100%.....he may never be able to reach that, but he still has a good 6-7 years left. I wishthe Warriors would go after him...he's exactly the type of big man they need.

There was a time where he was considered one of the best PFs in the game.
Dude, he is still VERY MUCH one of the best 4's in the L.

jonathan bender's knee gave out too soon, and it looks as if jermaine's knee is also

Dude, he is still VERY MUCH one of the best 4's in the L.

By best, do you mean top 5? top 10? Because... David West, Dirk, Tim Duncan, KG, Amare, Brand, Boozer, LaMarcus Aldridge, Pau, Antawn, Shard, Sheed, Bosh areall better IMO.

I would have agreed 2-3 years ago, but just not anymore.

By best, do you mean top 5? top 10? Because... David West, Dirk, Tim Duncan, KG, Amare, Brand, Boozer, LaMarcus Aldridge, Pau, Antawn, Shard, Sheed, Bosh are all better IMO.
Hmmm..yeah I agree with you man...I would say he's still top-10 when healthy...I would put him over Jamison out of those guys...but thatsabout it.

I wasn't trying to disprove you or anything, but my point was that this dude JO has been injury prone for the past few years. He hasn't played 70 games since the 03-04 season, it's the Grant Hill bug. If he'd stayed healthy, Grant Hill could have been one of the greatest players ever. If JO could stay healthy, he would be one of the best PF's in the L.

I won't be sold on the dude until he has back-to-back successful seasons where he stays healthy. Also, I hear you on Antawn, he's more of a offensive PF, but at least he's versatile. JO's defense makes him good and it's what a lot of players (Power Forwards in particular) are missing in their game, but if your not healthy, you can't get up and play as good defense as-if you were healthy.

IF I were JO, I'd just take the year off. The Pacers are an 8/9 seed right now, and if they go to the Playoffs this year, they won't get ANY higher than a 7 seed IMO. That means that they would probably play the Celtics, Pistons, Raptors, or Magic, none of which I think they could beat.

I love dudes in the NBA being successful, but he's not going to be if he's always battling injuries, wait until your healthy big dude!

EDIT: To add, the PF position is the best position right now in the L, followed closely by the PG position. I didn't even mention PF's like Al Horford, Lamar Odom, Al Harrington, Chris Wilcox, Udonis Haslem, Nene/Kenyon, Gerald Wallace (depending if you call him a 3 or 4), Drew Gooden, all of which are legitimate starters in the NBA, and key pieces to each of their respective teams.

His career seemed to spiral after the Basketbrawl. There was a time where he was considered one of the best PFs in the game.

It was that sliding punch that did his knee in.

Thing is he's never going to be fully healthy, so that alone would make me hope the Warriors don't even think about him.
I do hope he puts whats best for him personally at the forefront of his decision making.

I know how it feels. Played 2 years with a hurt knee. If I had got surgery surgery instead of playing through it I would have been out 3 weeks to a month max.Instead it turned into 6 months possibly another 10 if I have to get surgery again.

Hes a bum but he should plan on retiring. With what hes saying basically sounds like his knee is done.

Hes a bum but he should plan on retiring.
How do you figure he's "a bum" when he's basically been playing on one knee (at probably the most physically demanding positionin the NBA at that) for two years?

indifferent.gif

If he doesn't get any better, the Pacers should use the "Allan Houston" rule, that let's them buyout his remainding contract.

He's due to make $19 mil this year, 21 in '09, and 22 in '10. Damn.

SO now do we have to thank mitch kupchak for not making the trade for bynum? well ill be the first laker fan to say this... Thanks Mitch!

Back
Top Bottom