Jeremy Lin extends contract with Nike... Sig shoe? Updated pg1 "Linsanity" shirts , ASG PE

No market they tried with Yao...

wqu6vd.jpg

Originally Posted by AlmostNotReady

Originally Posted by bigtimejerky

We're talking about selling shoes... not skill. You don't necessarily have to be and all-star to be marketable. I understand you have to become consistent to be considered a legit asset to any company, but this is the first Asian American basketball player companies can take full advantage of in some major markets where the game of basketball is HUGE and still growing. If you want to complain about him not being good at basketball... take it to the S&T thread. I was just wondering if the risk is worth the reward with endorsing him, rather than if he is good or not at basketball.

just saying

I guess if you only want to sell to Asian customers then maybe..
But besides Asians.. Who is going to buy "Lins" over Brons, Kobes, KDs, Rose, Melo, Wades etc??
Bottom line is.. This aint the 90's. Not everybody can have a sig shoe. You gotta be damn near the best of the best.

Why do you assume that asians will buy "Lins" over Brons, Kobes, KDs, Rose, Melo, Wades etc ....

Not based off of just 5 games and the number of other "All-Star" players who only have PEs. I can definitely see him having some cool Nike Knicks PEs cuz Nike will want to take advantage of his success and being in the NY market at least in some way, but these days you need to be a real true franchise player/superstar to have a sig line. If it was any company OTHER than Nike or Adidas (to a lesser extent), I can see Lin having his own sig (i.e. Under Armour, Li-Ning, maybe even Reebok). That's not to take anything away from the success he's having, and personally I think he'll have a good future ahead if he keeps working hard. But, he's not a Kobe/Lebron/KD/Wade/Melo/CP3/D12/Rose level player. All those guys are probably at least a consensus top 10-12 players in the league or so.

Originally Posted by itzzzberny

Originally Posted by bigtimejerky

We're talking about selling shoes... not skill. You don't necessarily have to be and all-star to be marketable. I understand you have to become consistent to be considered a legit asset to any company, but this is the first Asian American basketball player companies can take full advantage of in some major markets where the game of basketball is HUGE and still growing. If you want to complain about him not being good at basketball... take it to the S&T thread. I was just wondering if the risk is worth the reward with endorsing him, rather than if he is good or not at basketball.

just saying

But besides Asians.. Who is going to buy "Lins" over Brons, Kobes, KDs, Rose, Melo, Wades etc??
Bottom line is.. This aint the 90's. Not everybody can have a sig shoe. You gotta be damn near the best of the best.

Why do you assume that asians will buy "Lins" over Brons, Kobes, KDs, Rose, Melo, Wades etc ....

Maybe because asians are the ones making the biggest deal about him?
Kinda like Filipinos buy Paqauio's shoes more than any other race from what I've seen, just because he's a Filipino boxer.

I don't see how you're trying to make him sound like he's racist or something. I understand what he meant by it.

And the dude is right. You have to be the best of the best to have a sig shoe nowadays. Unless you're on Li Ning, or one of those Chinese brands whose shoes don't even release here in the states.

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

Originally Posted by itzzzberny

Maybe because asians are the ones making the biggest deal about him?
Kinda like Filipinos buy Paqauio's shoes more than any other race from what I've seen, just because he's a Filipino boxer.

I don't see how you're trying to make him sound like he's racist or something. I understand what he meant by it.

And the dude is right. You have to be the best of the best to have a sig shoe nowadays. Unless you're on Li Ning, or one of those Chinese brands whose shoes don't even release here in the states.
Just cause they cheer for them doesn't mean they'll buy his shoes. I'm asian american and most of my friends that buy basketball shoes buy jordans, kobes, lebrons,etc. but most wear casual or dress style shoes.  they support jeremey lin but they aren't gonna go buy his shoe. his popularity isn't limited to the asian american community. he's the ultimate rags to riches story (the guy at the end of the bench that makes it to starter position). when i've seen him play, it's mainly non asians all cheering and screaming w/ their "yellow mamba"/ "all i do is lin lin lin" signs.

point is his shoes probably wouldn't be hot enough to make a profit on, why would they waste the money. you would probably find his shoe at nordstrom rack, tj max and marshalls  after a couple weeks at the main retail stores. derrick rose's first shoe hit discount stores pretty fast, how can you expect JLin to do better...
The only thing the asian community will do to help Jeremy Lin is China and Taiwan by themselves vote him in as an All Star next season (just like how they did w/ Yao)
eyes.gif

hyperfuse pe's for sure... but in all honesty, i assume asian hoopers will get his shoe, IF they look good, to support him. I know i would

Originally Posted by NOVAnation

hyperfuse pe's for sure... but in all honesty, i assume asian hoopers will get his shoe, IF they look good, to support him. I know i would
 IF they look good. <(-- if his shoes will sell, it's gonna be for this reason... not cause it's Jeremy Lin's shoe...

Deserve, nah. Should he have a pair of PEs that are sold at HoH, yup. Might as well cash in.

5 games vs bum teams and this no name deserves a shoe and endorsements? Wrong. Avg. 28 and 8 for the whole season and I'll be impressed.

Marketing wise, yea. Make some Hyperfuse PE lows slap his name on it and it will sell like hot cakes. His brand is through the roof right now. 17 jerseys are flying out of stores. The media is choking the whole story to death. It's a perfect storm for Nike to cash in quick.

Now does his deserve a sig shoe? No. With only a handful of games under his belt he still has the rest of the season to prove he can play with Stat and Melo. If he can sustain this type of play through the entire year, Nike will be all over him in the offseason with a Christmas and Chinese New Year shoe on deck. =P

If someone thinks Nike doesn't have Special Make Ups (SMUs) planned for J. Lin....

You just dont know how the Swoosh works. Its already in the making...

Yes they will milk this til the very end...

LINSANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Y'all thought Nike wouldn't jump on this...? Like Rock said its already been in the works. 
laugh.gif

Just watch who'll get voted into the all star game next year..... quote me. LOL.

59c8020c563c11e1a87612313804ec91_6.jpg

*source Rocky Xu (instagram)

Back
Top Bottom