Jason Collins Becomes 1st Openly Gay Athlete in a Major American Team Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said in the other thread, until its someone who is high profile and in the PRIME of their career, this is Amaechi all over again.

Collins is on the tail end of his career and probably won't be in the league next year.

As I said in the other thread, until its someone who is high profile and in the PRIME of their career, this is Amaechi all over again.

Collins is on the tail end of his career and probably won't be in the league next year.
For real...sad to say but nobody cares if it's not a star. 

Good move to come out, seeing as he's probably gonna be cut by the WIzards in the near future.. a book deal will help him pay the bills :lol:

And the first few posts are the reason these athletes won't come out. The immaturity and stupidity and ignorance that come from people about someone else being gay.

Looking for "lulz"

Childish.

Fact is, the chance of a major athlete in the prime of their career won't come out as gay because so many people in their corner will tell them not to. It'll mess up endorsements, become a circus and distraction and carry more negatives then positives.

For example, what if a guy like Bryce Harper came out as gay. In a major market like DC, at the start of his massive career...we just aren't in as accepting of a time as we think we are. No matter how many time you'll say "yea well it's 2013" there are still too many close minded people, too many homophobes and too many unwilling to accept people for being gay.

Last edited:
Male sport stars are viewed in the light of masculinity. Once you cross the line and switch sides...
grin.gif

That's it. 

Big moment in sports today. More will follow suit, Jason becomes a pioneer.

10 years from now, when athlete #75 comes out, it won't even be a blip on the radar. That player will have Collins to thank.

And the first few posts are the reason these athletes won't come out. The immaturity and stupidity and ignorance that come from people about someone else being gay.

Looking for "lulz"

Childish.

Fact is, the chance of a major athlete in the prime of their career won't come out as gay because so many people in their corner will tell them not to. It'll mess up endorsements, become a circus and distraction and carry more negatives then positives.

For example, what if a guy like Bryce Harper came out as gay. In a major market like DC, at the start of his massive career...we just aren't in as accepting of a time as we think we are. No matter how many time you'll say "yea well it's 2013" there are still too many close minded people, too many homophobes and too many unwilling to accept people for being gay.
No one is looking for laughs. Its the truth in the matter. For someone like Collins, this is ultimately the highlight of his career. He was a nobody until today.

And please stop with the homophobia crap. Just because someone isn't accepting of your lifestyle choice doesn't mean that they fear homosexuals.

It has nothing to do with accepting lifestyle choice, it's about spreading hate when the news like this comes out.

Looking for "lulz"

Childish.

I think some of that is overblown. For most people, coming out to even their closest friends/family who they know will accept them is a struggle. I have some friends that I know for a fact are gay and they still don't say a word about it even though it's 2013. Now imagine coming out not just to your friends and family but to the ENTIRE WORLD and the media. It's not just people in their "corner" telling them not to come out. This is an internal struggle that people deal with everyday. It's not surprising that people would rather keep it private.

Looking for "lulz"

Childish.

i'm one of the first posts so i'll go ahead and take offense to that. by no means was i looking for laughs sheriff . just making what i believe to be an obvious point at this point ...

No one is looking for laughs. Its the truth in the matter. For someone like Collins, this is ultimately the highlight of his career. He was a nobody until today.

And please stop with the homophobia crap. Just because someone isn't accepting of your lifestyle choice doesn't mean that they fear homosexuals.

Look up the definition of homophobia.

Those comments on that board are mind numbing. Some people are so stupid.

Must be tough for Jason, hope all goes well for him.

Big moment in sports today. More will follow suit, Jason becomes a pioneer.

10 years from now, when athlete #75 comes out, it won't even be a blip on the radar. That player will have Collins to thank.
No offense (when I say no offense I can follow it up with any hatred I want and be free from responsibility).. I agree with nothing in this post.

Complete joke. I actually feel bad for gay people that Jason Collins came out.

This does nothing.

Love how people are calling this an "historical" and "monumental" day. Guess Jason Collins went from a complete unknown bench player who played for 7 teams and was booted out the league - to the Jackie Robinson of the gay movement, with one article. Lol

Good for him, not good for the movement. If I'm gay and a big sports fan, I'm legit angry. No one will care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom