[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

I hope for his sake this becomes a hit on the radio somehow........I just want the album to drop

*I still think he needed a feature on his 1st single to help with the buzz*

Originally Posted by thekillerj23

I hope for his sake this becomes a hit on the radio somehow........I just want the album to drop

*I still think he needed a feature on his 1st single to help with the buzz*
thats just what we are use too..doesnt mean it would have guaranteed anything... Wale feat Lady Gaga, Big Sean feat Chris Brown, BoB feat Bruno Mars...then u got Drake and Wiz who held down both parts but had stellar production
Cole trying to do all three...Roc Nation aint breathing down his back and he got alot of artistic power on his hands...its a gift and a curse

Cole slander is high on Twitter. Everyone is record execs. Let some time pass before everyone says its gonna flop. And he might have a hot second single lined up. Danja does have a beat on the album and he has features from Jay and Songz to fall back on. He'll be fine even if this doesn't take off.

^i knew exactly where to look on twitter for the slander too lol

cant say Im surprised...it is what it is...

what im afraid of is this actually pushing the album back more... Roc Nation has done nothing in my eyes to say that they are in fact a legitimate record label

if Jay dont stand up and do whats right... I can see him bailing on the project all together or letting it fly with no push at all... word to Freeway's Free At Last on def jam

and for the 100th time me asking.... what rapper has put out an album on COLUMBIA Records in the recent past??

Columbia is just distributing it though. And Cole is all Jay has really. I dont see him bailing. But let's wait a few weeks to see if this takes off.

Originally Posted by mjhead23

Columbia is just distributing it though. And Cole is all Jay has really. I dont see him bailing. But let's wait a few weeks to see if this takes off.

right...but Atlantic did Blueprint 3 and that partnership lead to some of the best promoting of an album that I have ever seen
now i dont know if that was all Roc Nation or what but if just have of that effort is put into Cole project he gon be good...but the catch is his music is not at all near mainstream enough to invest that kind of bread into

my thing with Columbia is I dont think they or roc nation know what they are gonna do...outside of Hov where is the stance in urban "rap" music right now?

Yea I think that is roc nation because Cole has been on some things that people in his position wouldn't commercials, ESPN, etc. So hopefully the album promotion is nice.

Lowkey had wrote this on his blog like a week ago and I was meaning to drop it off here...i agree for the most part with what he is saying
"While I completely understand where Cole is coming from, his actions aren’t parrallel to his sentiments. Putting out Friday Night Lights was obviously a great move because THAT body of work speaks VOLUMES. It’s the lack of push AFTER the project slithered into our ipods that upsets me. Visuals were needed, but we only got one: “In The Morning

I think the recent knock for Cole as far as promotion goes post FNL is actually unfair. As mjhead23 stated he has had decent promotion/exposure recently. ESPN Commercial, Derrick Rose, MLB The Show. All those spots were excellent promotion for a rapper without an album out not to mention being on tour with Rhianna.

I really feel the problem with fans of hip-hop music is that they expect everything instantly and do not appreciate the process of an artist developing. People expect Cole to have the quick rise Drake did after SFG along with some other artists and its totally unfair. He is a different kind of artist that is honestly a breath of fresh air in the rap game...he will carve his own path, do it his own way and be successful IMO.

all his singles are kinda trash so far so im not sure what to expect from dudes album if it ever drops... im starting to feel like hes becoming overrated as an artist.... is this the same guy they were comparing to nas?

im feeling work out
pimp.gif

Gosh, when it comes to J. Cole everyone knows exactly what he should and shouldn't do. Everyone is an A&R, or a record exec when it comes to him. Its a nice little catchy tune that will make its way on to the radio. He's J. Cole, anything he drops and tells the world "it's my single" will get to the radio.

Besides, its not a bad record at all, in fact its pretty tough if you ask me. And i'm sure he has some real heat lined up.

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

Gosh, when it comes to J. Cole everyone knows exactly what he should and shouldn't do. Everyone is an A&R, or a record exec when it comes to him. Its a nice little catchy tune that will make its way on to the radio. He's J. Cole, anything he drops and tells the world "it's my single" will get to the radio.

Besides, its not a bad record at all, in fact its pretty tough if you ask me. And i'm sure he has some real heat lined up.

what on earth makes u say this?
its not people being ARs...i mean we just discussing his career since we cannot discuss his album 
grin.gif

i find it odd that its so hard to come to a common ground on him as an artist...when he comes out and only does 50k sum ppl will laugh and say he flopped...which is crazy but on the other hand you got people that think he is bigger than what he is and nationally renown for some reason

I really feel the problem with fans of hip-hop music is that they expect everything instantly and do not appreciate the process of an artist developing. People expect Cole to have the quick rise Drake did after SFG along with some other artists and its totally unfair. He is a different kind of artist that is honestly a breath of fresh air in the rap game...he will carve his own path, do it his own way and be successful IMO.

QFT
the expectations and pressure from being associated with Jay and the way J Cole wants to go about building his career, making his type of music become mainstream music, is the elephant in the room because they dont match up 

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

the expectations and pressure from being associated with Jay and the way J Cole wants to go about building his career, making his type of music become mainstream music, is the elephant in the room because they dont match up 

Agreed 100%! As a fan I am honestly fine with the way he wants to go about building his career and I think a lot has to do with Jay not wanting a quick return on his investment and actually allowing artists to develop their craft.  I think that is a great thing actually that is lost in the music industry. As you said Ace some will criticize Cole if he doesn't sell major records or "blow up" but I do not think record sales should solely define Cole's (or others) success at an artist.  Those who judge his success on whether he not he moves major units are not true fans IMO of his music because they don't care about the overall product he is putting out as an artist. 

I believe the quality of music he has already put out along with how good his debut album is and is received (both acclaim and sales wise) by the fans will define Cole as an artist and where he can go in the future. 

Anybody follow OfficiallyIce on twitter? IDK who the dude is but he has some affiliation with Joe Budden and Royce and just stays hating on Cole
roll.gif

IDK why I even follow this guy but it's starting to get annoying. He acts like Joe Budden has had club hits and has a released an album on a major label lately.

That Work Out song isn't something you put on an album Cole. Better switch that over to that summer mixtape
laugh.gif

The way some of yall talking got me thinking Cole just straight up doesn't have it in him to be a star. Whether it just be him or a combination of that and the ppl around him. I don't see him making the type of songs that'll get crazy popular in today's hip hop but he's more than capable to create that hot club banger/memorable dope single to garner attention for his albums and what not.

IDC what anyone says Work Out is catchy.

One thing I want to throw out there as far as Cole's popularity goes..... I posted some videos on my youtube from Bonnaroo this weekend. The videos I have of J.Cole all have over 100 hits, some over 200. Same with my Chidlish Gambino videos. My Eminem videos on the other hand all have less than 50 hits. NOBODY subscribes to me on youtube so it's just people randomly finding the videos. Thought it was kinda need.

Especially when some of my eminem videos have like 12 hits as opposed to every single J.Cole and Gambino one having over 100 minimum.

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Anybody follow OfficiallyIce on twitter? IDK who the dude is but he has some affiliation with Joe Budden and Royce and just stays hating on Cole
roll.gif

IDK why I even follow this guy but it's starting to get annoying. He acts like Joe Budden has had club hits and has a released an album on a major label lately.
Nah i used to think that but dude really aint a hater
laugh.gif
. He's just brutally honest most of the time. Even about rappers he's beefing with. Joe Budden at least had ONE club hit though
laugh.gif
. Cole hasn't had any. Some rappers never do for their entire career. Nothing wrong with that too...

After playing this a few times its cool but some parts are just too corny.

I think the video is going to be dope for it for some reason.

^^
laugh.gif
 yeah thats who mjhead23 was talking bout earlier...i follow him cuz he be posting made music folder links but I figured he was just a blogger wit a few inside connects but yeah him and nerdatcooltable was gettin it in today on Cole...some truths was in there tho i wont front
i mean far as the star thing goes...it can go either way I guess. 90-97 Cole would be a star right now not having to do anything extra...nowadays u look at cats like Drake n Wiz who are "stars" due to a combination of things...and then u look at Wale n Big Sean who arent stars but we can visually see them tryin to be with there actions but their music not that strong...imo

Cole is like in the middle of the group...better music than wale n big sean, not as appealing as drake n wiz *objectively speaking*

I don't see him making the type of songs that'll get crazy popular in today's hip hop but he's more than capable to create that hot club banger/memorable dope single to garner attention for his albums and what not.

??? And an example/evidence of that is_____
ohwell.gif
...but I do wanna believe what u saying...and it is true in the case of targeting his fanbase

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

That Work Out song isn't something you put on an album Cole. Better switch that over to that summer mixtape
laugh.gif

The way some of yall talking got me thinking Cole just straight up doesn't have it in him to be a star. Whether it just be him or a combination of that and the ppl around him. I don't see him making the type of songs that'll get crazy popular in today's hip hop but he's more than capable to create that hot club banger/memorable dope single to garner attention for his albums and what not.

I don't get what your basing this off of at all and I don't understand why for some people he HAS to be a star.  Everybody doesn't start off as a star but you can grow into a star. I understand it was a different musical climate but  look at Jay when he dropped, he had a critically acclaimed album that didn't go plat but grew into a star.  I would rather grow into stardom than be an overnight success and then forgotten about in a few years because my music/subject matter is stale.  I can see that happening with some hip-hop artists who have recently blow up ie Drake, Wize etc.  Cole can develop as artist but who is to say he HAS to be a star now or "doesn't have it in him to be a star." Quite frankly that logic/assumption is just ridiculous and I have yet to hear any reasonable/logical basis for that statement.

Back
Top Bottom