Is this a double dribble?

So in my intramural game tonight, a dude gets an entry pass, and sort of smacks it to the ground with two hands and then picks it up off the bounce, holds it,dribbles it again and scores. His first touch wasn't quite a catch, but he clearly re-directed it to the ground and then caught the ball. Thinking he hadgiven up his dribble, I crowd him to prevent the shot, and he dribbles around me.
indifferent.gif

The other team claims that this is legal and the first touch/dribble doesn't count. It's 3v3 and you call your own fouls so I let them have it.

Verdict?

I'd say so too, but i guess if it was accidental, then it would be good

Btw I have a question too about shooting motions

My jumpshot involves me doing a slight kick motion with my right leg, and my cousin who plays defense on me obviously wants to go up to contest the shot, butmaybe like once in awhile, I kick him in the shin when I shoot, it doesnt hurt him that he reacts to it, but its pretty obvious that i kicked him, but it isnot on purpose

He doesn't call a foul or I call a foul on him because we just play, but sometimes after the game, I apologize for kicking even though it was notintentional, and he says that it should be a foul on me, since there was contact, it has to be a foul on someone, and it can't be him cause he was playingdefense

I guess you can kind of compare this to kobe's swinging arm "un-natural motion" but mines is totally unintentional

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

I'd say so too, but i guess if it was accidental, then it would be good

My jumpshot involves me doing a slight kick motion with my right leg, and my cousin who plays defense on me obviously wants to go up to contest the shot, but maybe like once in awhile, I kick him in the shin when I shoot, it doesnt hurt him that he reacts to it, but its pretty obvious that i kicked him, but it is not on purpose

He doesn't call a foul or I call a foul on him because we just play, but sometimes after the game, I apologize for kicking even though it was not intentional, and he says that it should be a foul on me, since there was contact, it has to be a foul on someone, and it can't be him cause he was playing defense

I guess you can kind of compare this to kobe's swinging arm "un-natural motion" but mines is totally unintentional

reggie miller kicked and stuck his leg out all the time. ... shoot i would be more worried about landing on an ankle

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

My jumpshot involves me doing a slight kick motion with my right leg, and my cousin who plays defense on me obviously wants to go up to contest the shot, but maybe like once in awhile, I kick him in the shin when I shoot, it doesnt hurt him that he reacts to it, but its pretty obvious that i kicked him, but it is not on purpose

He doesn't call a foul or I call a foul on him because we just play, but sometimes after the game, I apologize for kicking even though it was not intentional, and he says that it should be a foul on me, since there was contact, it has to be a foul on someone, and it can't be him cause he was playing defense

No foul there. Using your legs or kicking your legs are part of jumping shooting. Some people just kick farther than others.

JR5

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

So in my intramural game tonight, a dude gets an entry pass, and sort of smacks it to the ground with two hands and then picks it up off the bounce, holds it, dribbles it again and scores. His first touch wasn't quite a catch, but he clearly re-directed it to the ground and then caught the ball. Thinking he had given up his dribble, I crowd him to prevent the shot, and he dribbles around me.
indifferent.gif

The other team claims that this is legal and the first touch/dribble doesn't count. It's 3v3 and you call your own fouls so I let them have it.

Verdict?
*blows whistle*

Double dribble! That first "smack to the ground" sounds like he power dribbled and then he dribbled again?
laugh.gif

That's yall ball!

no to the double dribble because everyone does it. The leg kick aint a foul but it's annoying as hell. seen many players hurt their ankles doing that.

Question for the NBA Rule Aficionados, is it an offensive foul to post up on a player then use your free hand to wrap around them to get passed them?

I say it is, but I wanted clarification. Thanks.

^

alonzo mourning used to get called for that wraparound all the time.

i've seen some guards get away with it though, if they do it quickly enough. but yes, technically warding off is an offensive foul.

Originally Posted by Frank 7he T4nk

Question for the NBA Rule Aficionados, is it an offensive foul to post up on a player then use your free hand to wrap around them to get passed them?

I say it is, but I wanted clarification. Thanks.

that is a foul.

it's called hooking.

Back
Top Bottom