IS THERE NO MORE APPROVAL PROCESS?

That's a large part of it.

Yuku's been fighting tooth and nail to prevent our fellow members from exercising their right to take their talents to NikeTalk.  We were kicked out of the system after our forums were stolen and, earlier today, they even deleted an account that did NOTHING other than receive PMs from users who wanted to transfer!  That was the easiest way for us to verify that they were who they claimed to be rather than impostors. 

Until we can get everyone back on their old names, we still want them to be able to create temporary accounts if they'd like in order to get started right away.  Goodness knows we don't want to leave anyone stuck on their stolen "SneakyTake."  

The new system is infinitely better at identifying both problem posts (e.g. spam) and problem users automatically, so most communities on Huddler, even those significantly larger than ours, don't need a monthly approval system like ours.  

That said, I think there's a lot to be said for the approval system we had.  It was clumsily implemented, like everything else on Yuku, as users had to make a yuku id, then figure out how to apply for NT membership, but the waiting period meant that you had to spend some time as a VIEWER first, to get to know the site, its rules, and its members without just jumping in and asking "where the size 9 yeezys at?"  

I'm leaning towards bringing it back, personally.  I mean, these automated tools have proven to be highly effective elsewhere and that's great, but there are some social/community benefits to the waiting period, too.

We'll try it for a bit, see how it goes, and then make a decision.  I will say, though, that so far the new users have been great.  This CrowdGather/Yuku situation is a hideous, embarrassing mess, but honestly I think it's brought us closer together.  And that's allowed us, as vets, to really set the tone for new users. 

I received a PM from someone earlier today who'd been browsing for years, but said he didn't feel "worthy" of joining until he took the time to really do his research.  It can be intimidating, especially since we can be a pretty tough audience at times.  After seeing the way everyone's been supporting each other around this launch, though, he felt that now was the right time to join and I think that he, and so many others who've joined of late, will prove to be welcome additions to the NT family.  

Give them a chance, give this system a chance, and we'll reevaluate the situation and make any corrections necessary to make NT the very best it can be. 

If there is a mod position for approving potential members, I would be interested in volunteering to help out.

i love it , i actually joined today.

been on and of sn's  since 03' because of prior banishments(ive learned my way mods 
laugh.gif
) but i haven't bothered

making a new account since the approval is usually 30 days and what not , today i said what the heck and made a name.

got the neat little auto-message from MM and what not right away.
:D ME TOO!

embarassed.gif
Your reputation Meth... it's so high right now!
I have an unfair advantage because of the featured topics.  It's interesting, because we're also evaluating the rep ecosystem right now as I didn't initially want everyone to be able to rep right away.  

My biggest concern is that rep is only useful if it encourages PRO-social behavior.  If people start using it to reward people for anti-social behavior, like insults, then it's counterproductive. 

I seem to be in the minority among forum people, because I like the idea of negative rep points to keep people accountable.  I like the idea of encouraging people to be mindful of their "batting average."  In other words, users have, in the past, been far too eager to swing for a home run in every single post.  If there's no consequence for striking out, why not, right?  Go for the lulz.  

What I think we want is for users to hit singles.  And the most reliable way - by far - to post something other users will appreciate is to be helpful, supportive, and informative.

THAT is what I want people to award rep points for.

So, we're seeing what happens now, but in the future we may set it up so that you need to HAVE a rep in order to GIVE a rep.  That should down on "you rep me; i'll rep you" nonsense and awarding points for insults.  

Thus far, I've been impressed by the way it's working even as is.  The people getting high scores tend to be those who really are getting along well with others and being good friends to the community at large.  We'll see how that goes, too, but the whole idea is to take this time while we set up to evaluate the new systems and figure out how we can improve upon the experience we've offered in the past.  

This is a new day for us and we all want to make NikeTalk even better than ever.  

Dumping Yuku was a good start, but it's only the beginning. 
If there is a mod position for approving potential members, I would be interested in volunteering to help out.
I really appreciate that.  You know, so many people have offered to help out over the past couple of days that we really are thinking about how we can all work together to make this launch even better.  It may be something as simple as reaching out to our friends who are still lost and helping them find their way home.  Obviously we can't post to ST, as they ban anyone who even TRIES to tell the truth over there now, and they're certainly trying to keep ME out as best they can, but unless they want to shut down the whole damned site there isn't much they can do to stop ALL of us if we're intelligent about it.  Not to mention, they can't do a cot damned thing about #NT.  Strength in numbers.  It's one greedy guy and his cronies versus a community....  and all we're trying to do is help people who WANT to leave and take their content over to the real NT to do exactly that.  

If you're down for that, stay tuned, and when people go above and beyond to help and earn the community's trust could then be counted on for other things after the launch if they feel like helping out even more.  
Thanks for answering the question Meth but count me as +1 for bringing it back.
Hey, right now I'm in the same column - but it's too early to tell.  We actually have a system in place now that puts all new users' posts through a filter so they can't even get real posting access until we've had a chance to get a sense of who they are.  

Even though it's technically open enrollment, have you seen all sorts of spam for fake websites?  

It's not like we don't have quality control systems in place.  We just made it easier for REAL people who want to be down with NT to get in and start chopping it up.  I don't think that's such a bad thing, really.  

Let's give it some time.  

I really appreciate that.  You know, so many people have offered to help out over the past couple of days that we really are thinking about how we can all work together to make this launch even better.  It may be something as simple as reaching out to our friends who are still lost and helping them find their way home.  Obviously we can't post to ST, as they ban anyone who even TRIES to tell the truth over there now, and they're certainly trying to keep ME out as best they can, but unless they want to shut down the whole damned site there isn't much they can do to stop ALL of us if we're intelligent about it.  Not to mention, they can't do a cot damned thing about #NT.  Strength in numbers.  It's one greedy guy and his cronies versus a community....  and all we're trying to do is help people who WANT to leave and take their content over to the real NT to do exactly that.  

If you're down for that, stay tuned, and when people go above and beyond to help and earn the community's trust could then be counted on for other things after the launch if they feel like helping out even more.  

It's just really annoying having all these new members run amok and contribute nothing useful.

I agree with what Meth said. Let's give the system sometime so we can get a feel for what it's like. This is kind of like a NT "beta" version if you will. It's still in it's early stages and whatever problems we may face, it will soon be corrected and NT will be THAT much better for all of us.

I really feel like this move has brought us all closer together and this is exactly what NT needed. It's been long overdue.

Couldn't log into my username (bobbytripledigits) so had to sign up for a new one.

But it works out, because this was the handle I tried to get a decade ago but at the time it was taken.

Back
Top Bottom