Is Paris/France as Great as it has been made out to be?

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

why are you knocking them for not wanting to speak english? how would you feel if a bunch of french people came here and expected you to help them out in french?
The point is that they KNOW english and will still refuse to help. How would I help a person who only speaks French if I don't speak it myself? And I wouldn't be rude about it, I'd do my best to help him or her instead of just flat out being a @#$%.

Anyways, it is true that many French aren't like that. From what I've heard from other French people is that Parisians think they're the center of the world when it comes to culture, so they're excessively proud about it

And yes, Spanish and Italian women>French. Not the generic kind, but the black haired, tan skin ones from the south of those countries
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Portuguese women are hit or miss
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
The French are cultural elitists.
Look at how they treat muslims (for better or for worse)...they seek to preserve everything that is ONLY French.

I mean, Americans do it too. We refuse to help people who don't speak English, notably hispanics/latinos and we are straight a-holes to people who speak broken english.

Paris is probably my fav city to visit. Love everything about the city. Parisians on the other hand...

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

why are you knocking them for not wanting to speak english? how would you feel if a bunch of french people came here and expected you to help them out in french?
The point is that they KNOW english and will still refuse to help. How would I help a person who only speaks French if I don't speak it myself? And I wouldn't be rude about it, I'd do my best to help him or her instead of just flat out being a @#$%.

Anyways, it is true that many French aren't like that. From what I've heard from other French people is that Parisians think they're the center of the world when it comes to culture, so they're excessively proud about it

And yes, Spanish and Italian women>French. Not the generic kind, but the black haired, tan skin ones from the south of those countries
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Portuguese women are hit or miss
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
The French are cultural elitists.
Look at how they treat muslims (for better or for worse)...they seek to preserve everything that is ONLY French.

I mean, Americans do it too. We refuse to help people who don't speak English, notably hispanics/latinos and we are straight a-holes to people who speak broken english.
True. I guess I forget that sometimes because in most of the Bay Area, non-English speakers are very well accommodated (probably has to do with the enormous Asian/Latino population
laugh.gif
) I can't imagine being a Latino or Asian (that doesn't speak English) outside of the major metro areas in the US

Originally Posted by newbuck

Originally Posted by buggz05

I keep hearing that the quality of life in France is second to none.

Define quality of life. You can't. It's subjective.The french love their vacations. If down time is your thing, you might love it. But there are trade-offs.

My thoughts exactly.  It all sounds like propaganda to me.  
laugh.gif

I was hoping someone could explain it to me or give some sort of insight to a strong case of what is claimed.

I think some of the problem is when ignorant Americans go over and refuse to even try to acclimate at all to their practices and culture, some people i know went over w/ parents and they were treated harshly but knowing their parents, they seem like the types who would go over thinking USA= the world and English is the only universal language, so I'm not surprised....I feel like as long as youre not a prick and make an effort they'd be cool but yea, Parisians think they are France for the most part, so that might only fly in other areas of the country

Originally Posted by LyonBC1

I think some of the problem is when ignorant Americans go over and refuse to even try to acclimate at all to their practices and culture, some people i know went over w/ parents and they were treated harshly but knowing their parents, they seem like the types who would go over thinking USA= the world and English is the only universal language, so I'm not surprised....I feel like as long as youre not a prick and make an effort they'd be cool but yea, Parisians think they are France for the most part, so that might only fly in other areas of the country
Being a military brat, I've seen this happen too many times overseas. And not necessarily on purpose. We as Americans have a certain stereotypical personality that isn't exactly pleasing.

Originally Posted by buggz05

Originally Posted by LyonBC1

Being a military brat, I've seen this happen too many times overseas. And not necessarily on purpose. We as Americans have a certain stereotypical personality that isn't exactly pleasing.
Otherwise known as a "superiority complex." 
tongue.gif

One more thing: if you get to know French people you might get to ride the train/bus for free.
laugh.gif

Of course it's illegal, but they REALLY don't give a $h/t about authority, and the worst that can happen is you being fined by the "controlleurs"

If you're under 25 and plan to travel around the country, you can get discounts on TGV tickets with a pass they call "carte 12-25." 

i spent four days in paris, and I loved it. Its comparable to NYC, but a little more spread out, and not so high-rise-concentrated. I loved the food and the nightlife, but it is a bit expensive. Definitely a romantic city for all you guys with wives/gfs

Ughhhh, I just remembered, I had this fish soup at dinner in Paris last year, and I haven't been able to find an equivalent ever since. The food is so good, from high end restaurants to the baguettes that you can get from local bakeries. I could seriously eat those baguettes with meat and cheese ever meal every day if I had to.

Ive never been to Paris and its not really high on my list of places to visit, mostly because of all the awful things I hear about the people there.

Barcelona on the other hand is a city I would move to if I ever decided to leave the US. Everything about that place is just WOW.

Oh and I'm also in the camp that has Barcelona over Paris. I been to Paris twice. Spent 6 weeks in Barcelona. Barcelona >>>>> Paris as far as I'm concerned. Like I said before, Paris is nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Paris is great, people are really full of themselfs though and better watch your !@%! in the subways.

I went this past summer. Stayed 4 days, didnt really like it. Not great as people rave about it.
On the other hand I absolutely loved Barcelona. Stayed there 5 days, everything about that city is amazing

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Barcelona = Miami/Rio de janeiro imo
Never been to either Miami or Rio, although I would love to visit both.

One difference that I can think of though, in the 5 days I was wandering around Barcelona, I didnt come across anything that resembles a favela.  Just cause Rio has beautiful women and beaches doesnt mean its the same as Barcelona.

I'M trying to make a trip possible over the summer mostly, because of the art and hoping to find some remains of the 1920s. But to live there, hmm I don't think I'd consider.

I don't even care if I never visit France in my lifetime 
laugh.gif

Places I really want to visit/live in: Brazil, Spain, Italy, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Portugal
pimp.gif

My wife's aunt is from canada and knows french. She said some people over there are rude. They would get upset if she said one incorrect word.
laugh.gif
Either way I would def like to go visit. I would want to go with my mother in law who knows French just so it can be easier to navigate.

c2f35df1e0a2a05e18dc75872e07327d104f378.jpg

My sister lives in Paris right by the Eiffel tower...I visited back in 09 and am going again this year.  It was a depressing city as far as climate and visually...Barcelona was much more my flavor.  My girl is from Spain and has family in France as well.  I will give it another shot this year, it was cool to visit/see all the places and culture. 

Paris is kinda overrated from my short experience this past summer, I was there for a few days on my way to Spain.

1. It is nothing like the big cities, it reminds me of DC, more so the Georgetown area.
2. It is not clean
3. WiFi is readily available
4. Confusing transit system.
5. A lot of poor Africans there, it is crazy
6. From my perspective, the whole idea of the French hating English speakers is a myth. I was perfectly talking to everyone in English, even those that didn't know much tried their best to communicate. Most of the can drivers are From Morrcco or Tunisia so they know mediocre english to say the least.
7. The females are not really out of the ordinary. NYC is aheady by miles
On this

Back
Top Bottom