Is it me or do they just not make Martial Arts Action flicks anymore?

The Martial Arts BOOM happened in the mid 80s-early 90s here in the US. Those days are long gone man. Good times. Most of my emotional ties to movies come from the martial arts genre.

Karate Kids
Bloodsport
Kickboxer
Bruce Lee FLicks

All about the classics lucky

Fist of legend
Kid with the golden arm
7 grandmasters
Hells wind staff
Born invincible
Shaolin vs lama
Invincible armor
Ninja death

And any Gordon liu (lucy lius dad) movies

Gordon Liu is NOT Lucy Liu's dad.

Donnie Yen>>>>>

all the other movie martial artists are pretty old now. Donnie Yen can possibly hold it down if he gets a world wide released film, which may be happening pretty soon actually with crouching tiger hidden dragon 2.

edit. that raid film looks :smokin

Last edited:
lol at rush hour being a martial arts flick. I understand what OP is trying to get at but rush hour is a terrible example. jet li did a much better job at the western flavor martial arts flicks but chan reached a broader audience because his movies were also funny.

lol at rush hour being a martial arts flick. I understand what OP is trying to get at but rush hour is a terrible example. jet li did a much better job at the western flavor martial arts flicks but chan reached a broader audience because his movies were also funny.

romeo must die :pimp:

I think part of the problem is that traditional Martial Arts are nowhere near as popular as they were once (outside of BJJ and Muay Thai) because of the MMA boom.

So kids that used to be all about Karate, Wing Chun, Shaolin Kung Fu etc. just aren't as common as they used to be.

I'm surprised we don't see more Muay Thai or BJJ based films because of their popularity. Or maybe Ronda Rousey makes Judo pop in the US.

I had high hopes for Only God Forgives with Ryan Gosling, but that **** was an art flick.

lol at rush hour being a martial arts flick. 
Word. 3 Ninjas or TMNT are both more authentic. 
laugh.gif

The One was the last martial arts action movie I actually went to see in a theater. That was 13 years ago :smh:

Definitely a drought of Hollywood produced martial arts action films.

Last edited:
Glad there's a thread about this. So many gems dropped on here. Definitely planning on watching all this films during my spare time

I blame steven segall. Once they realized they could still put the prototypical white dude as the lead and still sell it was a wrap.

Ip man is the only real kung fu/martial arts movie ive seen n years. Early jet li flicks were aight i suppose

Steven Segal prototypical white man? 
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom