Is it just me or is hip hop showing some good upside?

Before you read this post I'm talking about unity not talent so coming in saying they all suck means nothing. Now to my post.

Are you guys seeing a lot of collaborations or is it just me? I feel before these last 2 years new artists stood by themselves and tried to diss people (corny) to get on. And now it's like not a crab in a bucket environment.

This came to me when I heard Dom and Nipsey were on Currensy's mixtape.
And then I just remembed this past year
Drake/Nipsey
Gucci/Drake
Wiz/Currensy
Travis Porter/Waka
J.Cole/Wale
Wale/Gucci
Kid Cudi/ Wale
I can go on and on.

But this forumla creates new fan. As some of you may know I was never a Curren$y fan. I was a Wiz fan though which made me DL How Fly. How Fly was nice even though I think Wiz did better I no longer hate Curren$y and I'm listening to his new mixtape with an open mind. Same with Travis Porter. The name pissed me off that I never listened but teamed up with So Icey got me to DL now me and my friends cant go to no party, bar, or club w/o playing hellutalmbout and all the way turnt up before we head out.

& it reminded me of NT how we got
Dom/GOD dropped a classic.
And the collective unity of NT on that mixtape
pimp.gif

Like this is good for hip hop for 2 reasons.
1) A small reason is it could bring back posses tracks (real posse tracks not super megastar tracks that leave you wanting more). I'm talking the posse tracks where you hear the hunger in these young MC's voices. Haven't yall notice the BET ciphers have been the best part of the BET awards the last 2 years?
&
2) It will allow hip hop to become more popular. Maybe not as mainstream as it was when we had a rapper like Juvenile going 4 times platinum and Chingy going 3x but popular to were we hold a sustainable bit of the market. Because my fans are your fans and your fans are his fans and so on and so on.

You still see it on NT it's unheard of to be a fan of Jeezy and Gucci and you can't have Jay be your number #1 and Nas in your top 5. But even when rappers dont diss by isolating themselves from everyone besides their label leads you to not have your name out there as much. You see it with G-Unit. There's no reason a Bank$ and Juelz song that is actually hot shouldnt be a HUGE hit. But since Banks only made music for G Unit fans for the past 3 years his name doesn't ring bells.

But yeah that's 2 cents.

I agree, But at the same time... I never really paid attention to the mainstream artists, so I didn't ever really see a "downside" or death. to it.

Ain't nothing saving this @*+!, Hip-Hop going the same route as jazz, blues, soul and disco did before it.

For what its worth (reverting back to my OG reply) Detroit, New York, and Philly underground artists have been working together in the same way that you're talking about these artists who are doing it now.... for years.

Originally Posted by BennyFranko

For what its worth (reverting back to my OG reply) Detroit, New York, and Philly underground artists have been working together in the same way that you're talking about these artists who are doing it now.... for years.
Detroit & Philly have similar styles: Unsuccessful ones.
And New York? Pardon me I had to laugh at that. That's the biggest place where it's crabs in a bucket

I'm talking about underground. Yea Detroit and Philly artists are "Unsuccessful" to mainstream/record sales standards... But based off unity and actual skills? Show me people doing it better than detroit and philly..

And for whatever reason this joint aint lettin me quote
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by KingFoamNYC

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
hip hop as a whole is in the dumpster right now OP don't kid yourself

I know it is. That's why I said upside. As in potential. As in...the future. o_O

i guess time will tell. but this "underground" doesnt compare to ones in the past so idk

I agree to an extent. Problem is all those dudes you listed are new school. There's no guarantee that 5 years from now half of that list will still be in the game or in a better place than they're now.

What would make it upside for hip hop is if they were progressively moving to the front of the mainstream arena. Doing mixtapes and features is cool and definitely is it's own way of gaining more fans but dudes like Drake and whoever else is more famous than the other need to start letting dudes tail them to the top. If they all want a dominant era in hop to prosper.

I said something similar in the Philly rap scene being overlooked thread but dudes really have to think of ways to all get on through a couple dudes and gradually have dudes lined up to have a chance to blow.

Hip hop has more semi- popular diversity and talented artist , then i can remember it having in the past 5 years or so. Thats also because, alot of these artist didnt have avenues to showcase before the internet blogs came to popularity.

I agree though OP, alot of people are catching on , second by second soon. Like i said to someone earlier about the new shawty lo video, the south and Atlanta in general is on its last run.

So this Year is the year you wanna make a real stable as a new artist from the south, because overall the game is tired of these cats. They ruled the charts for damn near 5 years in a Row and They dont even get Nominated for Hip Hop award categories, besides B.E.T.
laugh.gif
, its time for a new Wave

Only real upside to Hip-Hop I see is dudes like Slaughterhouse still relevant mainstream wise for the most part. In this era w/ bs lyrics, its a breath of fresh air to see real lyricists get love. Same w/ Fab when u drop quality %@*@, Bun B, etc etc

Kanye, Lupe, Cudi, Wale, Eminem, Pharrell, and several others are keeping it afloat right now. People like J Cole, Electronica, Mike Posner and Drake will become stars once their albums drop.

I dont know that its going upside but its def going and been going through a metamorphosis in these last few years with the styles and all the new comers.

Back
Top Bottom