Is it harder to make the NFL than the NBA ?

for the nba you need basketball IQ and athleticism. i know quarterbacks need to know alot of plays, but other than that you can just be athletic and get intothe nfl.

more people play basketball, the nfl employs more players than the nba, so its gotta be the nba.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by 0cks

Basketball by faaaar. Euros, south americans, africans, etc all play. Good tall athletes are rarer too. Workout warriors have a chance to play football, basketball players need sooooo much skill.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The elite athletes in the NBA have a ton of skill. However, when you look at the tail end of the roster,
grin.gif

Too many
smh.gif
quotables in this thread.

While Johan Petro is relatively unskilled for an NBA player, he does have decent footwork and coordination for a man of his height and size. Many O-Linemen in the NFL possess less skill than Petro. Plus, he is a special case, in that his height is the main reason he made the NBA. I'd venture to say that he is the exception with regards to the league as a whole.
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
, EXIT LEFT!

You don't know what they hell you are talking about, we get it you laced up your kicks and played basketball, but never put on pads. There is no other explanations for the ignorance in this comment. Offensive Linemen are so underrated it's not even funny. If you think they don't have skills, footwork and coordination,
eek.gif
and
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Yea ur rite just hit the weightroom and u can make an nfl squad.
I'll pay for your gym membership for a year and let u practice "running and catching" and see u even sniff a ncaa DIAA roster
laugh.gif
all u need is muscle.

Is this what fans really think?
Do yall really sit n watch some sports and say, "if I had did 20 more push ups a nite, I coulda made the league"

laugh.gif

Yoooo its hard as #%*% to make any league but u show ur true ignorance by saying #%*% like, "how hard is it to run with a football"

Like u don't need to do anything else
smh.gif

And NBA is maaaaad politics, the fact coby karl was even the 12th man on a roster shows u that.
Dude is burger buns and held down a roster spot on the LA Lakers
laugh.gif

NFL is atrition, eventually that 53rdman is gonna have to get out there n play either on special teams or due to injury. U'll never ever see coby karl gettin any run, even if its 6 healthy guys left on the team

And I'm not bashin NBA. Dudes got it hard, but They can hide alotta sorry cats on roster spot 10-12. Jsut outta fear of injury most nfl starters don't play special teams so them bench dudes on active nfl rosters aint "hidin" they playin a good 20% of he game
Aye, I'm not trying to downplay what NFL players do, but strictly looking at the numbers the amount of ballers out there is ridiculous. NBAslots are very limited. NBA athleticism is not something that can be developed simply in the weightroom. Hence the term "Born to ball"

Check the Ben Wallace post, NBA defenses take away soooo much from players on offense. Tony Gonzalez was playing on some Summer league team (Miami?) and goteaten alive. Brock Lesnar tries out for the Vikings and nearly makes the team. Imagine Stone Cold on the court taking a jumpshot
laugh.gif

The players on the NBA bench are not bums! They are still at the top of the foodchain, they have talent and the mental wherewithal to do the job. Eric Dampierwould drop 50 in the 1st half of an ACC game right now
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Originally Posted by Handsome Hustler

I can't say which one is harder to make for sure, but some of y'all are bringing up some dumb #*$ arguments.

You CAN'T be just athletic and make it to the NFL.

You CAN be just athletic, and make it to the NBA.

Really? How much skill does it take to grab and hold on to a ball and Run with it or run down the field and catch it. I guess it would suck getting hit by a huge *+! dude but really just hit the weights and youll be fine. Anyone can get more muscle.

With basketball you gotta do something with the ball at all times not just hold on to it.
Not to mention you score by walking over a white line in football.

Do you have any idea how long it takes for you to be able to shoot a ball with consistancy good enough to make it into the NBA?
If an NBA player is practicing it would be considered and off day if they dont shoot 70% from the 3 point line, 80 % from mid range, 90% from the free throw line and 99.9% from down low.

EDIT : And to gunna im willing to bet Eric Snow and Coby Karl can do everything that i just stated.

possibly the most dim witted response on this forum, ever.

I'd say football is easier. I good athlete with no football instincts would have an easier time making the NFL than a good athlete with no basketballinstincts making the NBA.

The amount of ballers out there are ridiculous, but a lot of players make the roster simply based on their size, which in turn is dubbed as "upside". The Darko's, Kwame's, Olowakandi's of the world. They just happen to be "born to ball" based on their size, not their athleticism. There are a ton of athletic dudes playing basketball, but won't ever make it to the L because of their height.

Like I said, the elite NBA players are extremely athletic, however some of you guys are underestimating the athleticism of NFL players. Ya'll make itsound as if it is easy to put on a ton of weight, like linemen have to do, and still have speed/footwork/coordination.

So it is harder to make, because you have to be taller? Shouldn't that make it easier, since, if you happen to be born tall (Kwame, etc) you get shuffledinto the NBA.

Also if you guys don't think it takes skill to be a Punter or a Kicker, I suggest you ballers go out to your local Big 5/Sports Chalet and buy yourself afootball, go to a local HS field and try to kick it through the uprights. It's is not as easy as it looks.

Originally Posted by Qpitfighter

I'd say football is easier. I good athlete with no football instincts would have an easier time making the NFL than a good athlete with no basketball instincts making the NBA.

It is the other way around. A good athlete with no football instincts will get a shot, at tryout. The Raiders stopped signing Olympic Sprinters in the90's,
laugh.gif

Name a good athlete with no football instincts that gets playing time in the NFL?

On the other hand, a good athlete with no basketball instincts is starting for one of the best teams in the NBA....Ben Wallace. I like Ben Wallace, he is agifted athlete, but his basketball skills are minimal to say the least. No offensive game whatsoever. I shouldn't say no basketball instincts, more likeminimal.

I could name bums on every NBA roster, serious bums, not I'm just being FR3SH and hating "bums".

Your right, height does play a big part. Your height alone can eliminate you from playing a frontcourt position altogether. Any +350 lb obese individual couldgo in for one down and be somewhat effective on an inside run
laugh.gif
It's harder to makethe NBA thats it. To be great in each league is proabably equally difficult.

Someone on here already said Ben Wallace can shoot the three and handle the rock when he is not playing NBA level defenses. He must have some decent amount ofBball skills/instincts

Also, there are more rounds in the NFL draft. Guys that ride the bench in football can make a squad by having awesome workouts. Not really the case inbasketball.

NFL is easier

-NBA is more political than any other league. There's TONS of people better than the players in the league. Just because you deserve to be in the NBAdoesn't mean you will.
-If you're under 6'2", you're not making it.
-Less roster spots
-Globalization of basketball=more competition for spots

Most of you don't understand the skills that NBA players have, just because the don't look skilled on TV doesn't mean they aren't. I guaranteeif you saw Johan Petro at a gym he would not miss a shot.

Basically, if your life depends on making it into one of the two leagues, you have a better shot at the NFL.

Originally Posted by bballah3

Yeah its way harder to make it into the NBA than the NFL....
No offense, but your pudgy brother wouldn't have made an NFL roster. Just sayin'. They are both hard to make, but comments like these:

Any +350 lb obese individual could go in for one down and be somewhat effective on an inside run

roll.gif

With minor ignorant adjustments:

Any +350 lb 7 foot obese long armed individual could go in for one down play and be somewhat effective on an inside run play. Until the refs bail out the superstar.

Sound stupid enough?

Some here are saying that the NFL is easier because there is not international competition and bigger rosters. At the same time, there are more possible(realistic) participants because you don't have to be above average in height.

The NBA has international influx and smaller rosters, but the average person is 5'10 and the average NBA player is 6'4+. Which means a lot of peopleare automatically eliminated, that doesn't make it harder, that makes it easier for those that are of "qualified" height.

Originally Posted by Mw2889

NFL is easier

-NBA is more political than any other league. There's TONS of people better than the players in the league. Just because you deserve to be in the NBA doesn't mean you will.
-If you're under 6'2", you're not making it.
-Less roster spots
-Globalization of basketball=more competition for spots

Most of you don't understand the skills that NBA players have, just because the don't look skilled on TV doesn't mean they aren't. I guarantee if you saw Johan Petro at a gym he would not miss a shot.

Basically, if your life depends on making it into one of the two leagues, you have a better shot at the NFL.
so how are there better players that havent made the league? i mean why havent they made the league? serious question

ooIRON MANoo wrote:
The NBA has international influx and smaller rosters, but the average person is 5'10 and the average NBA player is 6'4+. Which means a lot of people are automatically eliminated, that doesn't make it harder, that makes it easier for those that are of "qualified" height.

Same thing could be said for football players. Also like I said previously, players positions are also very interchangeable in football meaningmore spots a person can play. 6'5", youre not playing center in basketball, well unless you play for the warriors
laugh.gif

Any +350 lb obese individual could go in for one down and be somewhat effective on an inside run
roll.gif

Any +350 lb 7 foot obese long armed individual could go in for one down play and be somewhat effective on an inside run play. Until the refs bail out the superstar.

Small joke small joke
laugh.gif

Some here are saying that the NFL is easier because there is not international competition and bigger rosters. At the same time, there are more possible (realistic) participants because you don't have to be above average in height.

The NBA has international influx and smaller rosters, but the average person is 5'10 and the average NBA player is 6'4+. Which means a lot of people are automatically eliminated, that doesn't make it harder, that makes it easier for those that are of "qualified" height.
Guessing you never took statistics
laugh.gif

Also, there are more rounds in the NFL draft. Guys that ride the bench in football can make a squad by having awesome workouts. Not really the case in basketball.
laugh.gif

Kwame Brown
Michael Olowokandi
Pervis Ellison

Number 1 draft picks.

How many dudes have received FAT contracts simply because they have a big body:

Jerome James
Jim McIlvain (sp?)
roll.gif

I'm tired and I can't think of any off the top of my head,
ohwell.gif
. I'm sure someone else can chime in.

Most of you don't understand the skills that NBA players have, just because the don't look skilled on TV doesn't mean they aren't. I guarantee if you saw Johan Petro at a gym he would not miss a shot.
Most of us do,but this proves no point. Most people in this thread do not understand the skill it takes to make an NFL roster, from the QB to theK/P. I love that Ben Wallace comment, about him being able to make 3's and handling the ball when he goes against non-NBA competitions,
roll.gif
. You can put Chris Perry (104 carries, 269 yards, 2.6 yac
sick.gif
) on a high school field and he will give you 2,000 + yards. Doesn't mean adamn, thing, 'cause when he plays against NFL competition, he is getting less than 3 yards a carry.

this is probably one of the worst discussions ever
roll.gif
, completely agree, good night,
roll.gif

Originally Posted by 0cks

roll.gif

Small joke small joke
laugh.gif

Some here are saying that the NFL is easier because there is not international competition and bigger rosters. At the same time, there are more possible (realistic) participants because you don't have to be above average in height.

Guessing you never took statistics
laugh.gif

Don't want to get deep into it, not saying one makes it harder than the other, just saying the factors kind of balances out. I'm really not trying toargue which one is harder to make it, just trying to squash the absurd comments. Then I realized this is NT,
laugh.gif
, no point.

Just seems that NT'ers think every NBA player is an athletic freak of nature, while some dudes think NFL players could get on a roster with minimal skills.

Same thing could be said for football players. Also like I said previously, players positions are also very interchangeable in football meaning more spots a person can play. 6'5", youre not playing center in basketball, well unless you play for the warriors
I'm guessing you never played football.

Sure you can interchange a WR and a CB (HS and College), but it will take a lot of work. Kind of like interchanging a PG with a SG. It is more difficult tointerchange positions in Football than it is in Basketball, especially at the NFL level.

Same argument can be used for the NFL. When have you seen a WR play RB the following week? When have you seen a Safety moved to LB at mid season? When haveyou seen an Offensive Linemen switch to a defensive lineman?

I'm not talking about your HS squad, I'm talking about the NFL.

Basically to end all discussion, if youre in the top 2-3% of what you do, whether it be football or basketball, it will be much more difficult to get a job inthe nba.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Yea there's no skill in playin football...

smh.gif

And koolbarbone, there aint a 18 year old on earth who could play n survive in the nfl. Dead that.
You saying that Amobi Okoye can play d-line in college at 16 and then star in the NFL at 19 and there isn't one person who could play in theNFL at 18 if there weren't an age restriction?

Originally Posted by bballah3

Yeah its way harder to make it into the NBA than the NFL....
No offense, but your pudgy brother wouldn't have made an NFL roster. Just sayin'. They are both hard to make, but comments like these:

roll.gif

Sound stupid enough?

This argument is flawed. If this was true, Chris Paul would be flipping burgers
laugh.gif
. You can't assume every athlete under the height of 6'4'' willsimply call it quits as far as getting into the NBA. There is no "automatic elimination." These undersized athletes still strive, oftentimes withpersistence, to get the NBA. Unfortunately, the odds are against them; however, they will undoubtedly make the quest to the NBA more difficult for tallerathletes (and in some cases occupy their places).

Both the NBA and the NFL require extraordinary athleticism and talent, and their salaries reflect that. However, the NBA is most definitely the more difficultleague to get into for the average male. Bottom line: If I am bent on helping my kid to be a professional athlete, I'm telling little dude to pick up thepads.

Back
Top Bottom