is food really killing us? vol. vegan

Vegans, crossfit folks, gluten free folks, Prius drivers, Whole Foods shoppers, hipsters and SJWs all have a similar stereotype associated with them. A lot of them give off the impression, or blatantly say that they live superior lifestyles. They live on top of a proverbial high horse. I think this is what al audi al audi was eluding to. Now of course it's just a stereotype, and doesn't describe all vegans, but most of us in here that know vegans in real life know how annoying they can be with the slick comments and elitist attitude they can bring to the table.

Please don't ban me Meth :frown:

all that matters is whether their lifestyles are indeed 'superior'

If we're debating food lifestyles and their impact on health.... a few condescending douche-bags should not negate the fact that a lot of the stuff in the supermarket is bad for your health.

I personally only know 3 vegans.
Like know really well.

And they are not like what has been described.

Its too broad of a brush.

Theres ******** who eat meat and ******** who dont.

Curried tofu taste good

When I used to eat chipotle I would get their sofritas, taste way better than that dry chicken

I personally only know 3 vegans.
Like know really well.

And they are not like what has been described.

Its too broad of a brush.

Theres ******** who eat meat and ******** who dont.
this. vegan is just a label. and a word that for a lot of people is synonymous with ***hole 

I became part of a Crissfit community, did it for almost 3 years, got too expensive and yes I'll agree, within our circle people were cool as hell, but an outsider looking in would easily stereotype the group as some holier than thou cult....seems to be the same case with Vegans...

Meth is a Vegan?....that was probably the most personal post we would ever get from Meth....tell us more bro, long walks on the beach?....favorite animal?...
roll.gif
Yea he was fired up.

How are you doing today Coach!

In my experience, what helps set vegan diets apart is that they also take into account the health of others.  Look at antibiotic use in livestock, for example.  Even if you don't give a damn about non-human animals, there are clear human health risks associated with factory farming that can carry consequences even for those who don't directly support that industry or consume its products.  

I've heard this within the vegan communities I am involved with. My question is: would you eat animal products if you knew they were coming from sustainable, well-raised sources? Not the factory farming where they pack chickens or cows into a warehouse basically piling over each other....

I'm talking about a small farmer that has a small herd of cattle, using rotational grazing so they always have fresh pasture to eat, clean water, and get to move around practically unrestricted. Would you consume the milk (maybe not directly, but through any dairy products)? What about the beef? Now let's say that same farmer uses a mobile chicken coop to follow around the cows so they can clean up after them and eat insects, leftover pasture, etc. They are free range and consume a completely natural diet. Would you eat the eggs (directly like a poached egg or indirectly through baked goods)? What about the chicken meat?

What perplexes me the most is the refusal of vegans to incorporate eggs and honey into their diet. Eggs- because the chickens are going to lay an egg anyways...whether it is fertilized by a male or not. Great protein, good omegas, etc. Naturally we should just let those eggs rot? Honey- it just confuses me when people refuse to eat it. Like how could you not like it? Just because bees made it? There's ways to harvest honey now without affecting the bees whatsoever. Indigenous cultures will go to great lengths even for a small amount of it.

I became part of a Crissfit community, did it for almost 3 years, got too expensive and yes I'll agree, within our circle people were cool as hell, but an outsider looking in would easily stereotype the group as some holier than thou cult....seems to be the same case with Vegans...

In your experience, do crossfitters train harder than regular people?

D
Right.

What about leather? For those of you that do it for animal treatment.

I've wondered that also but never asked any of them.

NYC street cat :rolleyes

That was far from an ether, I've seen Meth go in on people but whatever dude

Some people are vegans because they think it makes them healthier and it has nothing to do with protecting animals

Not a one size fits all, a leather jacket ain't gon give me clogged arteries :lol:

I agree w/ this...especially now since I do CF. Steezy, did you stop doing it b/c it became too costly, or was it another factor?

Also, even before this thread came up, I decided to go vegetarian during Lent in '16. We'll see how it goes :lol:

For those who don't understand why someone would take umbrage to the stereotype that posits vegans as starving, self-righteous hipsters, consider the negative stereotypes about "social justice warriors."  

It's a classic example of attempting to shoot the messenger.  Racism should not be trivialized because of Rachel Dolezal.  Creating a negative stereotype to bash people who care about these issues seems a poor attempt at diverting attention away from the associated social/ethical issues.  

If you don't care about the social/ethical issues, at least admit to that rather than saying, in effect, "fighting racism/sexism/whatever is stupid because people who fight racism/sexism/whatever are hipsters."  
 I'm talking about a small farmer that has a small herd of cattle, using rotational grazing so they always have fresh pasture to eat, clean water, and get to move around practically unrestricted. Would you consume the milk (maybe not directly, but through any dairy products)? What about the beef? Now let's say that same farmer uses a mobile chicken coop to follow around the cows so they can clean up after them and eat insects, leftover pasture, etc. They are free range and consume a completely natural diet. Would you eat the eggs (directly like a poached egg or indirectly through baked goods)? What about the chicken meat?

What perplexes me the most is the refusal of vegans to incorporate eggs and honey into their diet. Eggs- because the chickens are going to lay an egg anyways...whether it is fertilized by a male or not. Great protein, good omegas, etc. Naturally we should just let those eggs rot? Honey- it just confuses me when people refuse to eat it. Like how could you not like it? Just because bees made it? There's ways to harvest honey now without affecting the bees whatsoever. Indigenous cultures will go to great lengths even for a small amount of it.
Again, different people have different reasons for choosing a vegan diet.  Some who do so for largely environmental or health reasons might not have a problem with consuming animal products from "sustainable" boutique producers.  

Personally, I would not support or consume such products.  From a simple, "golden rule" standpoint, it shouldn't be too difficult to understand why someone would still take issue with killing "well-raised" animals.  Most Americans consider the practice of eating dogs abhorrent.  Would killing and eating a beloved family pet be more appealing to you than killing and eating a dog confined to a battery-cage?  Probably not.  Sustainable dog meat likely wouldn't appeal to you, regardless of its amino acid profile. 

As for eggs and honey, the industrial production of both generally entails a great deal of violence.  Anyone interested can easily search online and find out more about the process and the associated ethical concerns.  The rationale really isn't that abstract.  Most people extend ethical consideration to SOME animals, like dogs, cats, dolphins, or endangered species.  Just extend that out to other species and ask yourself if you'd still be cool with it.  

The bottom line is that it's not necessary.  

If you find a dead panda bear cub on the side of the road, the fur would "rot" if left alone.  That doesn't mean it's insane not to grab the nearest sharp object, skin the cub, and parade around in your new panda pelt.  When you commodify that, it creates an economic incentive.  That's why trading "found" ivory recovered from elephants who die of natural causes is less an alternative to poaching than an accessory to it.  If you're promoting ivory as a desirable commodity, you're creating an incentive for poaching. 

And, ultimately, we've long since discovered alternative materials for piano keys, billiard balls, etc. etc.  It's needless.  

If humans are omnivores, that means we have a choice.  Those of us fortunate enough not to be purely at the mercy of our environment can choose our protein sources.  We don't have to kill to survive.  We don't have to enslave other species to survive.  I choose not to.  
So do you vegans, wear vegan sneakers?
Flyknit, hyperposite, etc. only?
"Us vegans" don't all share the same standards.  Some people limit vegan restrictions to what goes IN their bodies - not ON them.  Some people are fine with any sneakers that don't use natural leather or fur.  Others would prefer footwear products that don't incorporate any animal-derived materials whatsoever. 

I'm just trying to make the best choices I can, and there are shoes out there that not only don't use leather - but don't use animal-based adhesives, either.  I choose those products.  

Many Nike products COULD be made to a "vegan standard."  Flyknit is a great example.  Unfortunately, Nike has made no assurances to consumers with respect to the adhesives used in its products - possibly because those choices are at the mercy of whatever factories they're contracting for production at the time.  

Ok Meth I hear ya an I apologize for my words based on the few vegans that rubbed me the wrong way. While I don't agree with the lifestyle personally I'd take a vegan life over a processed fast food diet many Americans eat along with only detrimental lifestyle choices all day.

Veganism is a first world luxury.

Maybe some religious people in third world countries.

You think a starving child in india...africa....or the Philippines doesnt eat meat?

Please dont ban me meth.

Veganism is a first world luxury.

Maybe some religious people in third world countries.

You think a starving child in india...africa....or the Philippines doesnt eat meat?

Please dont ban me meth.

There's 20,000 children who died of starvation today around the world. Tomorrow 20,000 more will die. And the next day, and the next day, and the next day....

18,000 cows are being killed each day. Each of those cows are being fed 16+ pounds of grain each day. That's over 288,000 pounds of grain going to cattle every day for 365 days a year.

That's over 100 million pounds of grain going to cattle each year instead of feeding people who need food all around the world.

To put this in perspective, if grown correctly, you could potentially feed 10,000 people a year growing fruits and veggies on just 3 acres of land.

I don't understand what point you were trying to make. Veganism is a first world luxury, sadly, and I would never judge anyone who doesn't follow a plant based diet, especially someone who is starving. You'd have to be insane to not feel that way.

If anything, we should be more upset at the statistics above. I don't know exactly why our world operates the way that it does or who is to blame exactly, but when you find out **** like that, you have to think that this isn't the best way to run a society.

Every being deserves a right to live a long healthy life. Tortured animals and starving children alike.

Luxury was the wrong word.

Im not saying that in a bad way just saying it happens here the most.

Not trying to make any point.

Luxury was the wrong word.

Im not saying that in a bad way just saying it happens here the most.

Not trying to make any point.

Understood.

&Sadly you are correct. What was once as synonymous with humans as breathing is, is now a luxury for those lucky enough to be born in the balls of the **** that is ******* the world.

It's depressing, but I honestly believe it won't be that way for long.

Back
Top Bottom