iPhone 3G S isn't really faster than the 3G's ...

The "s" refers to the speed and crispness of the iPhone (bringing up apps, closing apps, etc) with it's increased memory. The Internet speedswon't be that dramatically diff. B/c it's still a 3g

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by Keithdajuiceman

3gs not worth it plus with the 3.0 os with mms I bet a DEV come up with a way to convert the cycorder to send video from the 3g watch what I tell you
nerd.gif

BUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can use a file transfer protocol to send video
ssh?????

I saw this article not to long ago...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/166457/iphone_3g_s_features_72_mbps_atandts_network_doesnt.html

The iPhone 3G S unveiled by Apple Monday has the latest of everything, including 7.2 HSPA, the fastest mobile broadband flavor currently available for U.S. 3G networks. This updated 3G network might nearly triple the top downstream rate of its predecessor.

The only trouble with the faster speed? AT&T hasn't rolled it out yet.

While dozens of carriers worldwide have put the 7.2 Mbps flavor of HSPA in the field, AT&T is still in the planning stages. The firm has a vaguely stated schedule in place. The company said a few days before the iPhone 3G S was announced that 7.2 HSPA would start appearing on cell towers "later this year." However, the full upgrade of AT&T's 3G network won't be complete until some time in 2011.

AT&T offers maps that show the specific coverage of its 2G and 3G networks. It will be interesting to see if it differentiates the 3.6 HSPA and 7.2 HSPA networks as the faster form pops up. Would it make sense to avoid buying an iPhone 3G S if you live in an area that doesn't wind up with 7.2 HSPA until 2011? Only if speed is your only criteria. And you can't get on a faster network with a phone today, in any case.

The lack of 7.2 HSPA in the field is one strong reason why Apple stressed the performance of the iPhone 3G S compared to the original iPhone 3G, and didn't breathe a word about the cellular network that backs it up when you roam. (Apple also didn't--so far as we know--opt to upgrade the Wi-Fi to single-stream 802.11n, which would have offered a choice of bands and a 25 to 100 percent speed boost over local networks.)

HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) is actually two separate standards: HSPDA (for downstream) at a raw rate of 7.2 Mbps and HUSPA (for upstream), likely at raw rates of 1.4 Mbps or 1.9 Mpbs, the two most popular upload speeds deployed by existing 7.2 HSPA carriers. The 7.2 Mbps downstream and 1.4/1.9 Mbps upstream rates represent the full bandwidth available in a given HSPA channel, but don't translate to what an individual user will see.

For AT&T's current HSPA system, the company claims range from 700 Kbps to 1.7 Mbps downstream, and 500 Kbps to 1.2 Mbps upstream.

Once I read this, I decided to wait on buying the 3GS... Yeah, the hardware is faster, but it's about the data speeds for me.

I'm not trying to cop a 3GS now just to have a "better" one drop a few months later (ie BB Storm/Storm 2
smh.gif
)

like i said, apple disappointed me with this phone. its nothing special, people just buy into the iphone hype and spend money on a newer phone which is theexact same as the other, oh and it looks the exact same.

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

The "s" refers to the speed and crispness of the iPhone (bringing up apps, closing apps, etc) with it's increased memory. The Internet speeds won't be that dramatically diff. B/c it's still a 3g

/thread, Get your facts straight op.

Originally Posted by Jumpman23shoeFan

Maybe not but it has alot more features

like what? only thing it has over the 3G is video recording and a compass, who the hell needs a compass on a phone?

Um, when they say it's faster, they mean it's got a faster processor...so it's in a sense like upgrade your computer so it runs faster. Also, inthe near future, ATT is supposed to upgrade their 3g network to go faster, and when that is launched, the 3gs will be faster in the way you're talkingabout it.

probably a little bit faster. a few new features/apps but not enough to warrant an upgrade. im sure they will force it by making alot ofnew apps 3gs exclusivein the appstore and in future updates. compas and video recording are cool though. just not enough for me to shell out another 400 bucks for new one at nonupgrade price.

laugh.gif
, Apple is a smart company. Present somethin new, add an "s" and ppl eat it up. Would never see myself coppin an iphone, no keyboard ftl, samereason I'm passin on the G2

The 3GS is just the shell for what they're really pushing (3.0)

It is faster though, you just have to be in a 7.2 capable area.

What I want to see is whether they'll clock the processor up to 800 MHz in the next iteration of the touch since they have a habit of making the ipodssignificantly faster than the phone.
eyes.gif

probably a little bit faster. a few new features/apps but not enough to warrant an upgrade. im sure they will force it by making alot ofnew apps 3gs exclusive in the appstore and in future updates. compas and video recording are cool though. just not enough for me to shell out another 400 bucks for new one at non upgrade price.
Due to the increased graphical capabilities of the 3Gs, it's bound to happen.

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

Originally Posted by Jonahtheballer

how much faster did yall think it was going to be?
Uhm ...

If they change the whole damn name of the iPhone ... add an 'S' to it ... short for speed ...

You would think it would be wayy more faster than what it is .

it isn't just the net. it does have a much faster processor

Originally Posted by ridikuloz

lol @ the iphone costing the same as a good laptop.

that ain't a good laptop your thinking bout

after that vid, iphone 3gs = copped
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

It actually is, my brother has a 3G i have a 3GS and we compared side by side and it IS faster
but by how much? 1-3 secs?
not worth the upgrade fee's

i'd probably be labeled as an Apple fanboy for being a former employee, but people are trashing the phone for no reason. don't blame Apple, blameAT&T for being behind the ball. when the network comes up to speed (literally), the phone is going to be even better. i'm personally good with my 3G,until next summer (4G perhaps?)

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Getting people to buy the same phone again? priceless.

Was thinking this earlier. I guess that's why they said it could go 7.2 but they never said it would. Classic. Good thing I was lucky enough to get my 3G Sfor 20 bucks. Its not that much faster, only big differences for me are the video camera, landscape texting and MMS in the near future all with no jailbreakneeded. Kinda like how the map tells you what way you're looking to.

Originally Posted by KFloWS503

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Getting people to buy the same phone again? priceless.

Was thinking this earlier. I guess that's why they said it could go 7.2 but they never said it would. Classic. Good thing I was lucky enough to get my 3G S for 20 bucks. Its not that much faster, only big differences for me are the video camera, landscape texting and MMS in the near future all with no jailbreak needed. Kinda like how the map tells you what way you're looking to.
how?

Back
Top Bottom