Investment Banking Questions

I'm a rising sophomore at Michigan State University.  Towards the middle of my freshman year I decided I wanted to go the investment banking route, preferably in research or sales & trading and I'm realizing now that I made a lot of bad choices.  It seems like the name on your degree is one of the main things that matters and I definitely could have went to a better school.  I'm thinking about grinding next year and bringing my GPA up and then decide what I want to do from there.  Seems like a 3.5 is the minimum for this field as far as jobs and internships go.  I only earned a 3.0 my first semester and a 3.33 my second which ended up being a 3.2 for the year.  I'll either stay put and try to get accepted to an honors program for finance majors at msu (3.5 minimum GPA), or I'm thinking about maybe going to umich or Indiana University.  Any others trying to go into Investment Banking?  Where do you go and how are you doing so far?

I'm a rising sophomore at Michigan State University.  Towards the middle of my freshman year I decided I wanted to go the investment banking route, preferably in research or sales & trading and I'm realizing now that I made a lot of bad choices.  It seems like the name on your degree is one of the main things that matters and I definitely could have went to a better school.  I'm thinking about grinding next year and bringing my GPA up and then decide what I want to do from there.  Seems like a 3.5 is the minimum for this field as far as jobs and internships go.  I only earned a 3.0 my first semester and a 3.33 my second which ended up being a 3.2 for the year.  I'll either stay put and try to get accepted to an honors program for finance majors at msu (3.5 minimum GPA), or I'm thinking about maybe going to umich or Indiana University.  Any others trying to go into Investment Banking?  Where do you go and how are you doing so far?

dartmouth 4.0 so far

i've heard conflicting advice on the matter............students at "target" schools like harvard wharton etc. don't need as high gpa's, students at non-targets need like 3.8+

who cares though, get good work experience, get a high gmat score and get that mba from a top school and you'll be set. you don't need to get into it straight out of undergrad.

dartmouth 4.0 so far

i've heard conflicting advice on the matter............students at "target" schools like harvard wharton etc. don't need as high gpa's, students at non-targets need like 3.8+

who cares though, get good work experience, get a high gmat score and get that mba from a top school and you'll be set. you don't need to get into it straight out of undergrad.

joe camel-Nice man keep it up. One of my friends goes there too. The work experience is what I'm worried about though haha seems like everyone wants a 3.5 +. We don't really have too much help in finding internships or jobs at my school we're kind of out for self.
davidisgodly-Didn't get in...wish I had focused more in hs. I'll be on the 5-year plan if I transfer but It'll be worth it I think, Ross B-school is sick.

joe camel-Nice man keep it up. One of my friends goes there too. The work experience is what I'm worried about though haha seems like everyone wants a 3.5 +. We don't really have too much help in finding internships or jobs at my school we're kind of out for self.
davidisgodly-Didn't get in...wish I had focused more in hs. I'll be on the 5-year plan if I transfer but It'll be worth it I think, Ross B-school is sick.

Joe, you really have a 4.0? Seriously?
eek.gif
What are you studying?

If you don't want to transfer or still won't make it in (i'm not that connected to recruiting anymore but are Umich, undergrad I know grad is and Indiana really target schools?) I would suggest thinking about targeting non bulge bracket firms...pick a industry you like or are knowledgeable about and try and score some descent internships there and you can still do big things (as well as have the option for a great b-school in  a few years). You won't have the name on your resume but you do get imo better hands on experience and almost equivalent pay.

If you don't want to transfer or still won't make it in (i'm not that connected to recruiting anymore but are Umich, undergrad I know grad is and Indiana really target schools?) I would suggest thinking about targeting non bulge bracket firms...pick a industry you like or are knowledgeable about and try and score some descent internships there and you can still do big things (as well as have the option for a great b-school in  a few years). You won't have the name on your resume but you do get imo better hands on experience and almost equivalent pay.

haha yeah really dmouth still has a little bit of a rep for grade inflation, not sure how true it is

studying econ

basically theres levels of presitge in ibanking.....BB like GS, MS, etc., then high-level botiques like evercore then less prestigious large banks like PJ and other botiques like blackstone

or so ive heard........someone help me out here. i don't really follow this stuff too closely, i cant quite set my heart on 120 hr work weeks out of undergrad so im not like religious researching this ++++ but thats the gist i get

i have some family who have worked at GS but they all bounced early into PE and other stuff.

haha yeah really dmouth still has a little bit of a rep for grade inflation, not sure how true it is

studying econ

basically theres levels of presitge in ibanking.....BB like GS, MS, etc., then high-level botiques like evercore then less prestigious large banks like PJ and other botiques like blackstone

or so ive heard........someone help me out here. i don't really follow this stuff too closely, i cant quite set my heart on 120 hr work weeks out of undergrad so im not like religious researching this ++++ but thats the gist i get

i have some family who have worked at GS but they all bounced early into PE and other stuff.

i'm not IB, but look into getting an internship through SEO. once you've completed a screening process, they will find you an internship. all the IBs i know are looking for internships through SEO. if you're a minority, Inroads is a good look as well.

my boys at Indiana business school, the past 2 summers he's had internships at Fortune 500 companies making $17-20/hr. i'll be signing up this fall to look for an engineering internship for next year.

i'm not IB, but look into getting an internship through SEO. once you've completed a screening process, they will find you an internship. all the IBs i know are looking for internships through SEO. if you're a minority, Inroads is a good look as well.

my boys at Indiana business school, the past 2 summers he's had internships at Fortune 500 companies making $17-20/hr. i'll be signing up this fall to look for an engineering internship for next year.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

studying econ

Lots of individuals do that and for good reason.
IB is in the limelight now so all the kids wanna try it but imo, it's a raw deal when compared to other venues in finance. Of course the potential is greater at an IB but at the end of the day, all things are relative.

I'm in PE and I have a good friend who's in IB. I just have to laugh at him sometimes. I work at a smaller PE firm and I make more than him (when worked out per hr, inc our bonuses) and I get to have a life. Meanwhile, he's with his companion Excel discussing EBITDA ad nauseum with her.

We both fail though compared to our boy  whose a sales account exec at MTV who has it way better than both of us.
The point is there are many ways to make money but IB is in the spotlight now so more kids flock to it. Same with PE some time back.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

studying econ

Lots of individuals do that and for good reason.
IB is in the limelight now so all the kids wanna try it but imo, it's a raw deal when compared to other venues in finance. Of course the potential is greater at an IB but at the end of the day, all things are relative.

I'm in PE and I have a good friend who's in IB. I just have to laugh at him sometimes. I work at a smaller PE firm and I make more than him (when worked out per hr, inc our bonuses) and I get to have a life. Meanwhile, he's with his companion Excel discussing EBITDA ad nauseum with her.

We both fail though compared to our boy  whose a sales account exec at MTV who has it way better than both of us.
The point is there are many ways to make money but IB is in the spotlight now so more kids flock to it. Same with PE some time back.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

how much we talking?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

how much we talking?

Back
Top Bottom