Interesting but potentially touchy subject....

a lot of people here are assuming that all black people are stronger than everyone else, its a big pool of traits and it goes around depending on the conditions, those that stayed on the continent that we now know as africa had an environment that allowed them to be more active, those that migrated to europe and eventually asia were less active and also lost pigmentation on there skin, these changes occur hundreds of thosands of years ago, to think that black people gained some sort of super power during the slave trade b/c of the bottleneck effect is flat out wrong

a lot of people here are assuming that all black people are stronger than everyone else, its a big pool of traits and it goes around depending on the conditions, those that stayed on the continent that we now know as africa had an environment that allowed them to be more active, those that migrated to europe and eventually asia were less active and also lost pigmentation on there skin, these changes occur hundreds of thosands of years ago, to think that black people gained some sort of super power during the slave trade b/c of the bottleneck effect is flat out wrong

Originally Posted by DT43

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

no one has explained why they would breed slaves for speed and jumping,when speed and jumping have nothing to do with slave labor.. and no onehas explained why selective breeding can be a valid explanation whennative-born Africans still excel as athletes, and they didn't descendfrom slaves.

it's because selective breeding is NOT THE REASON, people of Africandescent are more athletic because physicality was necessary to surviveon their continent.
smh.gif
ignorance is not a good look in this day andage.
A stronger individual will have more power/explosiveness (which aids in jumping and sprinting)  than a weaker person.

Olympic weightlifters don't train for high verticals. Yet, they have, on average, the highest verticals out of any athletes.
do these people have prototypical "powerlifter" physiques?

kobe_bryant_biography.jpg

vince_carter_dunks.jpg

Usain-Bolt_1.jpg

I can post a bunch of skinny athletes who can run and jump out the gym. Strength does not directly correlate with explosiveness, speed, or jumping ability. Fast-twitch fibres correlate with speed and jumping ability, and you can have a higher density of fast-twitch fibres without necessarily being strong. I've seen you in the fitness thread and you seemed knowledgeable, I don't know why you are spouting all this BS to defend a stupid position.
First off, you're taking elite athletes. The elite are the outliers in any group. We're talking here about on average not the elite.

Secondly, size doesn't correlate to strength.  There are 7 weight classes under 85kg in oly weightlifting. 85 kilos is about 188 lbs and those encompass some of the most powerful/explosive individuals on earth.
Kobe, Vince, and Usain are all over 187 and while they are not elite oly lifting strong they are strong. Don't  mistake it.  They are much stronger than your average individual.
Even if you have a higher proportion of type II fibers you still would need to exploit that.

This should be in the Fitness thread but whatever.

It still doesn't take away from my argument. If the naturally strong (meaning higher percentage of type II fibers)  were chosen to procreate more than their offspring would have a higher percentage of type II fibers as well. It's just potential though. It still needs to be exploited in order to achieve an elite level.

We're going in circles though. You can beleive what you want to believe and I'll do the same here. I'm not trying to convince anyone. Just trying to explain the reasoning of the position.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

no one has explained why they would breed slaves for speed and jumping,when speed and jumping have nothing to do with slave labor.. and no onehas explained why selective breeding can be a valid explanation whennative-born Africans still excel as athletes, and they didn't descendfrom slaves.

it's because selective breeding is NOT THE REASON, people of Africandescent are more athletic because physicality was necessary to surviveon their continent.
smh.gif
ignorance is not a good look in this day andage.
A stronger individual will have more power/explosiveness (which aids in jumping and sprinting)  than a weaker person.

Olympic weightlifters don't train for high verticals. Yet, they have, on average, the highest verticals out of any athletes.
do these people have prototypical "powerlifter" physiques?

kobe_bryant_biography.jpg

vince_carter_dunks.jpg

Usain-Bolt_1.jpg

I can post a bunch of skinny athletes who can run and jump out the gym. Strength does not directly correlate with explosiveness, speed, or jumping ability. Fast-twitch fibres correlate with speed and jumping ability, and you can have a higher density of fast-twitch fibres without necessarily being strong. I've seen you in the fitness thread and you seemed knowledgeable, I don't know why you are spouting all this BS to defend a stupid position.
First off, you're taking elite athletes. The elite are the outliers in any group. We're talking here about on average not the elite.

Secondly, size doesn't correlate to strength.  There are 7 weight classes under 85kg in oly weightlifting. 85 kilos is about 188 lbs and those encompass some of the most powerful/explosive individuals on earth.
Kobe, Vince, and Usain are all over 187 and while they are not elite oly lifting strong they are strong. Don't  mistake it.  They are much stronger than your average individual.
Even if you have a higher proportion of type II fibers you still would need to exploit that.

This should be in the Fitness thread but whatever.

It still doesn't take away from my argument. If the naturally strong (meaning higher percentage of type II fibers)  were chosen to procreate more than their offspring would have a higher percentage of type II fibers as well. It's just potential though. It still needs to be exploited in order to achieve an elite level.

We're going in circles though. You can beleive what you want to believe and I'll do the same here. I'm not trying to convince anyone. Just trying to explain the reasoning of the position.

Originally Posted by zichardruniga

This we can agree upon

Originally Posted by zichardruniga

This we can agree upon

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by torgriffith

Fast twitch  muscles
ohwell.gif

Anyhow someone brought up an interesting point....West Africans and other Africans (northern, eastern etc.) adapted differently based on their environment. Kenyans/East Africans are great long distance runners while West Africans (where most Americans slaves were taken from) are better sprinters/jumpers.
That's just genetic diversity. People gotta realize that there's vast genetic differences amongst melanated people all over the world. Not all blacks can be lumped into one category of phenotype like western science would like us to believe. The dna strands go wayyyy back and when you try to breed people, ain't no telling what ancestors genes decided to hop out at inception.
Yes I make this point a lot on NT. Africa is one of the most genetically/ethnically diverse places on earth.

true, though it is counter to what people might intuitively expect but there actually is more genetic diversity, for any given group, within that group than if you compared individuals from two different groups...i forget what the actual scientific explanation for this was but it definitely makes it clear that we are all more alike than different...that being said i thought it was pretty well know that "on average" africans (and by extenson african americans) tend to have more innate/natural fast twitch fibers/muscle than other ethnicities?

Originally Posted by torgriffith

Fast twitch  muscles
ohwell.gif

Anyhow someone brought up an interesting point....West Africans and other Africans (northern, eastern etc.) adapted differently based on their environment. Kenyans/East Africans are great long distance runners while West Africans (where most Americans slaves were taken from) are better sprinters/jumpers.
That's just genetic diversity. People gotta realize that there's vast genetic differences amongst melanated people all over the world. Not all blacks can be lumped into one category of phenotype like western science would like us to believe. The dna strands go wayyyy back and when you try to breed people, ain't no telling what ancestors genes decided to hop out at inception.
Yes I make this point a lot on NT. Africa is one of the most genetically/ethnically diverse places on earth.

true, though it is counter to what people might intuitively expect but there actually is more genetic diversity, for any given group, within that group than if you compared individuals from two different groups...i forget what the actual scientific explanation for this was but it definitely makes it clear that we are all more alike than different...that being said i thought it was pretty well know that "on average" africans (and by extenson african americans) tend to have more innate/natural fast twitch fibers/muscle than other ethnicities?

Back
Top Bottom