Information Technology (IT)

Am I cheating my self if sometimes I go for help online with coding? I don't do it all the time, because I don't usually need help, but when I do it's something little. My professor wants us to go to the TA's for help, but I don't know why I can't bring my self to catch up with them. 

And when I mean online for help I mean actually looking at code and thinking about how I could use it and where I went wrong. I'm not simply copying other peoples code from the net, but trying to get how and why they used it.

I spend a lot of time trial and error of course, but I just feel like a idiot when I go online I might be cheating my self.
Do you mean Googling concepts and methods? Everyone I know, from beginners to experienced programmers looks for help online. If you were relegated to just reading the old books in your library and figuring it out yourself, you'd be doing yourself a disservice. Someone else has already been through the pain and learned the lesson, so just take it from them.

As for reading code, multiple programmers have told me that is an excellent way to improve. When you look at poorly written code, you can think about how to improve it. When you look at well-written code, you can take mental notes on what makes it good. Both are beneficial, I mean if you like analogies it's like when you're a kid growing up and you watch a lot of NBA games, that's going to help you play basketball because you'll see a lot of stuff you never knew existed prior.

Last edited:
I need some opinions so currently I work for a very big software company as an implementation consultant. I make pretty decent money but today I got an offer for an orginaztion that would be provide me with a secret clearance but they would only pay 3,000 more for a help desk position. Is the clearance really worth it?

Last edited:
I need some opinions so currently I work for a very big software company as an implementation consultant. I make pretty decent money but today I got an offer for an orginaztion that would be provide me with a secret clearance but they would only pay 3,000 more for a help desk position. Is the clearance really worth it?

Help desk title sounds like a move backwards, unless you are talking about the roles actual work. IMO title is just as important as pay in some cases. For example it would look bad if you went from an Analyst 2 to an Analyst 1 with a new job just because it paid more, now if the difference is like 15-20k more thats another story.

Help desk title sounds like a move backwards, unless you are talking about the roles actual work. IMO title is just as important as pay in some cases. For example it would look bad if you went from an Analyst 2 to an Analyst 1 with a new job just because it paid more, now if the difference is like 15-20k more thats another story.

The new job wouldn't pay much more only 3,000. The move would do more with getting a Secret security clearance if I were to take it.

The new job wouldn't pay much more only 3,000. The move would do more with getting a Secret security clearance if I were to take it.

yea it would only be an extra 93-100 bucks a check, but long term the secret security clearance would be beneficial I assume, but then again IDK much about at the Fed Govt world.

Am I cheating my self if sometimes I go for help online with coding? I don't do it all the time, because I don't usually need help, but when I do it's something little. My professor wants us to go to the TA's for help, but I don't know why I can't bring my self to catch up with them. 

And when I mean online for help I mean actually looking at code and thinking about how I could use it and where I went wrong. I'm not simply copying other peoples code from the net, but trying to get how and why they used it.

I spend a lot of time trial and error of course, but I just feel like a idiot when I go online I might be cheating my self.

“Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.”
― Socrates

I dunno, service desk sucks even if you make 6 figures and are doing something with a highly technical focus. Then again the clearance is a lock for your future, especially since I see you live close to the DC area. If the title is appropriate to your skills, and signals growth and that you're moving up in your career and you don't mind the work, it's worth looking into.

Yes, I see your location is Columbia, MD nothing but high paying cleared jobs in this area. The Secret clearance will potentially put you on the path to a TS/SCI clearance. The TS/SCI clearance alone nets 100K+ in the DC area. 

Only take the job if you are willing to put in the work to maneuver your way into higher paying and higher clearance positions , because a help desk position is a step back, but the clearance is potentially worth much more.

Last edited:
Gearing up for the ICND2 (in a cpl weeks)...Boson netsim has been a godsend for making big topologies. Using gns3 to bring in my virtual esxi hosts and my server 2008 domain. Been having a lot of fun learning, Network+, Sec+ & CCNA Security after. Got my Linux+ earlier this year so mid 2016 I'll be focusing mainly on RHCSA & CCNP. It's amazing how much things make sense when they start bridging together

Heads up, Code Cademy just added Java to the site for learning. I don't know how good it is as I just found out and I'm working on Python and C#/ASP.Net right now but just an FYI.

Anyone well versed on steps to become a Solution Architect?

U looking into it? I never heard of the position before. Do you develop in Salesforce, if so, how is it?

Anyone well versed on steps to become a Solution Architect?
I just looked up Solution Architect, and it looks to me like a variation of a Systems Engineer.

edit: Yeah just looks like a different title for technical systems engineer honestly.

First requirement on an IBM Solutions Architect job posting I found

• At least 5 years experience in Systems Engineering, IT architecture and design. (10 years experience preferred)

Last edited:
^^^^ And that's an issue w/ the job titles now, most Project Manager jobs are pretty much Sr. Software Engineer positions

From what i've seen it's a step above the sr positions of what you mentioned, sr system engineer, sr infrastructure engineer etc. Ultimately a sr leadership/technical position, someone that can build out a system for an enterprise from the ground up. You better be very good.

Last edited:
And that's understandable so they should label it as such, not just give it a totally new name, enhance the name that is more familiar to get more candidates that may be great for the position.

But for the most part, companies will give a title to a position that isn't close to what it is :lol: I've seen so many Business Analyst positions that should be Data Analyst or Finance.

^^^^ And that's an issue w/ the job titles now, most Project Manager jobs are pretty much Sr. Software Engineer positions
Hmm none of my PMs do any coding. That is very weird to call a Sr Software Eng position a PM position.
From what i've seen it's a step above the sr positions of what you mentioned, sr system engineer, sr infrastructure engineer etc. Ultimately a sr leadership/technical position, someone that can build out a system for an enterprise from the ground up. You better be very good.
Yeah thats pretty much what I gathered from that one posting 
laugh.gif
 You better be the best of the best.

It actually looks like a position I would be interested in once I reach senior level.

I think the best way to get where you want to be position wise is to first start looking at job requirements on the job postings.

Help you figure out which direction to go. @LuckyLuchiano

I get what he's saying, most sr/lead technical positions these days pretty much require PM skills. Not a bad ask though, technical folk can be wild disorganized, and not that great at communication and follow up.

Last edited:
I just looked up Solution Architect, and it looks to me like a variation of a Systems Engineer.

edit: Yeah just looks like a different title for technical systems engineer honestly.

First requirement on an IBM Solutions Architect job posting I found

Looks like title varies by company, because some companies would call that an Enterprise Architect, and i have seen the title Solution and Business Architect used interchangably with solution being used more.

Pretty much they work on projects dealing with strategy ie. Bringing in new services to take company to the next level/ future while a Business Analyst more so focuses on the now if that makes sense (projects based on current functionality whether ots improving or fixing it).

I get what he's saying, most sr/lead technical positions these days pretty much require PM skills. Not a bad ask though, technical folk can be wild disorganized, and not that great at communication and follow up.
Of course all senior positions require a lot PM skills, but to label a Software job a PM title just seems wrong to me and misleading.

To me a true Program/Project Manager job is focused on the business, not coding. Unless you are a technical manager.

Of course all senior positions require a lot PM skills, but to label a Software job a PM title just seems wrong to me and misleading.

To me a true Program/Project Manager job is focused on the business, not coding. Unless you are a technical manager.

PMs are the least techincal people in the office lol. My new gig Im in a hybrid BA/PMO role and most of the people i work with are mot technical people what so ever lol super different experience than working with a bunch of old school programmers

PMs are the least techincal people in the office lol. My new gig Im in a hybrid BA/PMO role and most of the people i work with are mot technical people what so ever lol super different experience than working with a bunch of old school programmers

But if you look at the job description, they'll want a lot of technical knowledge and a lot of experience :smh: :lol:

I'm studying PM and it definitely isn't technical at all but it helps to know IT when it comes to SDLC and Agile/Scrum because you are familiar w/ software engineering and technical terms, that's what companies don't understand. A Sr. or even a extremely high level Software Engineer may know how things operate but there are still things on the PM side that they won't know which is why an actual PM is needed, not just a glorified Software Engineer who's familiar w/ SDLC and Agile/Scrum.

But if you look at the job description, they'll want a lot of technical knowledge and a lot of experience :smh: :lol:

I'm studying PM and it definitely isn't technical at all but it helps to know IT when it comes to SDLC and Agile/Scrum because you are familiar w/ software engineering and technical terms, that's what companies don't understand. A Sr. or even a extremely high level Software Engineer may know how things operate but there are still things on the PM side that they won't know which is why an actual PM is needed, not just a glorified Software Engineer who's familiar w/ SDLC and Agile/Scrum.

Idk sounds like you may be confused with a business analyst, PMs only care about budget and project time lines lol, and Program Managers only deal with client relations. And as a business analyst you only need functional knowledge of things. For example I can read almost any OOL but dont dare ask me to code for you lol

He's not though, that is what the job descriptions are asking for. And active PMs really are not technical, so i'm not sure how that works.

Back
Top Bottom