Information Technology (IT)

With 1099 and hiring a CPA you could finess your tax situation. A lot of experienced dudes just start their own "consulting companies" and do only 1099 contract jobs. Of course you dont get vacation and any benefits, but like I said if you get your own accountant they could more than likely finess your Tax situation especially since you would now be able to write off a ton of stuff as "business expenses".
I need to look into this as I might have a contract for hire offer coming up. Thanks fam.

I need to look into this as I might have a contract for hire offer coming up. Thanks fam.

yea I plan on doing this later in my career. Pretty much its like cutting the staffing/consulting company who is the middle man out and making 100% of the billable pay.

Everything mentioned. I've worked W2 and 1099. Both pay extremely well compared to a regular full time role.

A good CPA is everything! Also, you don't have to wait until you're well seasoned to start 1099. Recruiters and consulting companies at times take up to 40/50% total comp.

Everything mentioned. I've worked W2 and 1099. Both pay extremely well compared to a regular full time role.

A good CPA is everything! Also, you don't have to wait until you're well seasoned to start 1099. Recruiters and consulting companies at times take up to 40/50% total comp.

I only said later in career more so because by then youd have a good network and strong set of skills to build your case for employment. I assume you just stuck with staffing agencies that do 1099?

Which one has the advantage in the tax return situation? Ive only filed W2.

With 1099 and hiring a CPA you could finess your tax situation. A lot of experienced dudes just start their own "consulting companies" and do only 1099 contract jobs. Of course you dont get vacation and any benefits, but like I said if you get your own accountant they could more than likely finess your Tax situation especially since you would now be able to write off a ton of stuff as "business expenses".

Contracting was so :pimp:

Does the employer expect a certain dress code? Gotta write off some new fits. Have to drive across town to pick up something for a job? Better get paid for the time to drive there and back, along with the gas it took. Always use your computer in a certain area in your home? Congratulations, you have a home office and can write off a percentage of your property taxes, mortgage interest, utilities, insurance, repairs and renovations as long as its connected to the office or necessary for the office to be functional (this can include bathrooms if clients use them!)

Felt like living as a 1%er. Literally anything can be a business expense depending on when and where you do it.

Last edited:
Contracting was so :pimp:

Does the employer expect a certain dress code? Gotta write off some new fits. Have to drive across town to pick up something for a job? Better get paid for the time to drive there and back, along with the gas it took. Always use your computer in a certain area in your home? Congratulations, you have a home office and can write off a percentage of your property taxes, mortgage interest, utilities, insurance, repairs and renovations as long as its connected to the office or necessary for the office to be functional (this can include bathrooms if clients use them!)

Felt like living as a 1%er. Literally anything can be a business expense, depending on when and where you do it.

Any reason you stopped? Contracting seems like the move as it is a quick way to gain a ton of experience too since every 6 months or year you are working on something different. Just seems annoying that you will pretty much always be interviewing for gigs, and then you REALLY have to manage your money as you could possibly go a stretch of a few months without work because you are interviewing and such.

Any reason you stopped? Contracting seems like the move as it is a quick way to gain a ton of experience too since every 6 months or year you are working on something different. Just seems annoying that you will pretty much always be interviewing for gigs, and then you REALLY have to manage your money as you could possibly go a stretch of a few months without work because you are interviewing and such.

The second part of your post is the exact reason why I stopped. I began contracting while I was still in school and didn't really have any corporate experience before that (landed my first major contract at 20.) At 20/21 it was great money, I could clear $1500 a week, $2000 the next, but then I'd make $500 over the next couple weeks and be STRUGGLING after Sallie Mae came knocking. Simply put, I wasn't really ready for all the responsibilities that come with sole proprietorship.

I also want to eventually get my masters or some post secondary degree. When you're a contractor, the business won't even give you a company pen, so there was no way I'd get someone to pay for my education. On the other hand, I've gotten my agency to pay for training and I've been in my current role for less than a year.

I'm going to get back into contracting, but only after I've joined or establish a contracting firm for myself. Being a sole proprietor is a little different from contracting with an agency, and I wouldn't want the sole proprietor experience again.

Last edited:
The second part of your post is the exact reason why I stopped. I began contracting while I was still in school and didn't really have any corporate experience before that (landed my first major contract at 20.) At 20/21 it was great money, I could clear $1500 a week, $2000 the next, but then I'd make $500 over the next couple weeks and be STRUGGLING after Sallie Mae came knocking. Simply put, I wasn't really ready for all the responsibilities that come with sole proprietorship.

I also want to eventually get my masters or some post secondary degree. When you're a contractor, the business won't even give you a company pen, so there was no way I'd get someone to pay for my education. On the other hand, I've gotten my agency to pay for training and I've been in my current role for less than a year.

I'm going to get back into contracting, but only after I've joined or establish a contracting firm for myself. Being a sole proprietor is a little different from contracting with an agency, and I wouldn't want the sole proprietor experience again.

Yea that goes back to my initial saying is while you are young its best to just initial get a normal gig to build yourself (and savings lol) up before moving strictly 1099, because its essentially you running your own Consulting Firm so you have to be ready for what comes with that and cant look at it as being a job.

I only said later in career more so because by then youd have a good network and strong set of skills to build your case for employment. I assume you just stuck with staffing agencies that do 1099?

Every agency I have worked with and currently work with has been W2. I started a small business working 1099 in 2011 out of school (A.A.S). Small network but large distribution at the time. I've used the same CPA ever since, actually met with him earlier today. He advises I stick with that plan.

I've been in my current role for more than a year. Schooling and certs are able to be reimbursed, plus I have more flexibility in and out of office. Eventually I will go back to 1099 only, more than likely as my family grows.

Every agency I have worked with and currently work with has been W2. I started a small business working 1099 in 2011 out of school (A.A.S). Small network but large distribution at the time. I've used the same CPA ever since, actually met with him earlier today. He advises I stick with that plan.

I've been in my current role for more than a year. Schooling and certs are able to be reimbursed, plus I have more flexibility in and out of office. Eventually I will go back to 1099 only, more than likely as my family grows.

Are interviews for the 1099 roles as political as regular full-time/W2 gigs? IT just seems like it would be hell going through the political interview process of 3-4 interviews for a contractor role. And when you did your small business did you use staffing agencies to find clients or what?

With large distribution at the time, many roles came from previous team members, staffing agencies with my info on file, and corporate projects that I had bid for.

Most interviews weren't typical. I've had emails indicating that I was needed on and to form teams (No formal interview process). Working interviews on projects. Also, lunches and 15-30 minute briefs from time to time. Now that is saying most, not all. In my contracted roles I have never had to sit for more than one interview without knowing my status. The purpose is to move quickly and efficiently on these contracts.

I don't know if this is quintessential for most 1099 employees. I got the game early from one of my instructors. I'm young and still learning as I go, but i'm willing to put anyone on what I have done to this point.

With large distribution at the time, many roles came from previous team members, staffing agencies with my info on file, and corporate projects that I had bid for.

Most interviews weren't typical. I've had emails indicating that I was needed on and to form teams (No formal interview process). Working interviews on projects. Also, lunches and 15-30 minute briefs from time to time. Now that is saying most, not all. In my contracted roles I have never had to sit for more than one interview without knowing my status. The purpose is to move quickly and efficiently on these contracts.

I don't know if this is quintessential for most 1099 employees. I got the game early from one of my instructors. I'm young and still learning as I go, but i'm willing to put anyone on what I have done to this point.

Yea the Corporate stuff is for the birds, so this is something I def want to do in the future as you are pretty much your own business, most people start solo than expand by subcontracting work to others.

sooooo i think i messed up.

I am a graduating senior and met this guy who owns an engineering consultant company and helps students obtain clearance. I am 21 and am a US citizen. i meet all the credentials as far as background check pertaining to drugs and the law. I recently obtain a Liberian passport because my family is from Liberia but I have lived only in the USA. I put on the application that i do have Liberian citizenship but also made a note that I obtained it 2 weeks ago because I didn't want to say i don't have citizenship of another country and they found out i lied. does this in anyway mess up my chances of obtain clearance because if so this will surely mess me up for my future

I am a graduating senior and met this guy who owns an engineering consultant company and helps students obtain clearance. I am 21 and am a US citizen. i meet all the credentials as far as background check pertaining to drugs and the law. I recently obtain a Liberian passport because my family is from Liberia but I have lived only in the USA. I put on the application that i do have Liberian citizenship but also made a note that I obtained it 2 weeks ago because I didn't want to say i don't have citizenship of another country and they found out i lied. does this in anyway mess up my chances of obtain clearance because if so this will surely mess me up for my future

lol when did Liberia start Dual Citizen ship? I`m Liberian btw

lol don't know if you knew but i was talking about soccer. for you to play for a country you have to have citizenship for that country. But obviously I rather keep my American citizenship

Worked 5-6 years for a big IT company for a while.
Did streaming media, project management, infrastructure design, deployments (desktops and servers), system administration, and whatever else hits the radar.
I do have a degree in MIS.

I think what matters most is the U.S. relations with said country of citizenship, how it was acquired, and if there is any government relations for you. Denial or approval of clearance would then just end up in the hands of the specific agency and job. It could go either way.

Like if you have dual citizenship simply because you/your parent's were born there or had it, that may not be a big issue. But say your dad was an official in their government/military, and the U.S. is not friendly with them, that would have impact.

You getting your clearance really depends on your foreign ties. As long as you're associates and family members come back okay you should be fine.

I do know a girl that can't get a clearance because she studied abroad and the family she stayed with had some ties to arms dealing (she never even met the guy). Crazy how far they look into things.

Shoutout to whichever NT it was who sent me that offer in DC for 90k.

Getting a clearance is easy, I know one of our guys lost his though because of a bankruptcy, not that he went bankrupt but he either didn't report it or lied about it. So your credit is a factor. We have Secret. If you ever get interviewed for someone else's clearance, they ask the dumbest questions. Like I'm wasting 30 minutes of my day telling her whether or not I have ever known so and so to harbor illegals from outside of the US in his home while looking at her like really :rolleyes

Getting a clearance is easy, I know one of our guys lost his though because of a bankruptcy, not that he went bankrupt but he either didn't report it or lied about it. So your credit is a factor. We have Secret. If you ever get interviewed for someone else's clearance, they ask the dumbest questions. Like I'm wasting 30 minutes of my day telling her whether or not I have ever known so and so to harbor illegals from outside of the US in his home while looking at her like really :rolleyes

Any requirements for getting one other then not being a criminal?

I have a public trust but I really want to get a secret clearance so I'll be able to obtain jobs that require it

Getting a clearance is easy, I know one of our guys lost his though because of a bankruptcy, not that he went bankrupt but he either didn't report it or lied about it. So your credit is a factor. We have Secret. If you ever get interviewed for someone else's clearance, they ask the dumbest questions. Like I'm wasting 30 minutes of my day telling her whether or not I have ever known so and so to harbor illegals from outside of the US in his home while looking at her like really
eyes.gif

I have a public trust but I really want to get a secret clearance so I'll be able to obtain jobs that require it
Having almost worked in IT (wouldve been campus tech help but i switched schools) the backgrounds checks they do are for finger printing, criminal background checks, and specifically cases of pedophilia or statutory rape (this is separate because often times universities have students younger than 18). At least that is what I had to do.

You really just have to tell the truth, secrets are extremely easy to get (once you have a sponsor).

Overall a clearance pretty much is a background check to make sure that you can't be bribed/blackmailed into giving out

sensitive information. Nothing to hide/lie about you can't be blackmailed or bought out financially.

To get clearances :

-Don't do drugs (they prefer 7yrs but really 3 year min don't lie about it)

-Clean record

-Never sold/trafficked drugs

-No serious credit issues (if you do have bad credit don't lie about it)

-No terrorist ties

-Foreign contacts must not have terrorist ties

Back
Top Bottom