Information Technology (IT)

Alright I am going to be 29 soon and need to get into a new line of work. Really looking into IT and Compter Information System program through a local college. Would it be more beneficial for me to start by getting certificates to get my foot in the door while working toward my degree? Can I expect to get jobs with just certificates and no degree to go along with it?

Alright I am going to be 29 soon and need to get into a new line of work. Really looking into IT and Compter Information System program through a local college. Would it be more beneficial for me to start by getting certificates to get my foot in the door while working toward my degree? Can I expect to get jobs with just certificates and no degree to go along with it?

Depending on your current background and previous line of work, I would advise you move forward on certifications. Depending on what niche of Information tech you are looking to get into. There is a plethora of information online as far as certifications and what companies are looking for.

Yea certs aren't that useful for certain concentrations but important for others. It would help to know what you want to focus on.

Im in a very similar situation. :nerd:

Anyone ever juug two jobs at the same time? Thinking about picking up a 2nd 100% Remote job :nerd:

I work two IT jobs right now but they are both part time. One is 9-5 Monday-Wednesday but I can be 5 days a week depending on if we're busy or I have a project to do. The other one is usually one day but l 'm on call pretty much everyday. The second job is pretty good since its consulting but the only thing that sucks is if I have to go to both jobs in one day.

My buddy just got a new contract with dod but 1 requirement was having security+ he studied gor 2 weeks and passed.

My buddy just got a new contract with dod but 1 requirement was having security+ he studied gor 2 weeks and passed.
Did he already have plenty of knowledge and experience? Although basic automation tasks were in my job description while I was in the military, I mostly dealt with radios and antennas. I'm currently attending UMUC but feel 2 1/2 years is too long till I can graduate. I want to gain experience now while taking 1 or 2 classes on the side. I've been recommended to start with A+ or S+ as job opportunities will open. All I have right now besides the little experience with computers and mostly tactical communication side is a Secret clearance. Do you guys think I can land a entry level job like help desk right now or should I grab one of those certs first? I'm also currently living in the DMV area btw. Thanks for any help and advice in advance fam.

Peace

Im in a very similar situation. :nerd:

We need to know what your intended fields are. Certs can either be helpful or a waste of time.

Did he already have plenty of knowledge and experience? Although basic automation tasks were in my job description while I was in the military, I mostly dealt with radios and antennas. I'm currently attending UMUC but feel 2 1/2 years is too long till I can graduate. I want to gain experience now while taking 1 or 2 classes on the side. I've been recommended to start with A+ or S+ as job opportunities will open. All I have right now besides the little experience with computers and mostly tactical communication side is a Secret clearance. Do you guys think I can land a entry level job like help desk right now or should I grab one of those certs first? I'm also currently living in the DMV area btw. Thanks for any help and advice in advance fam.

Peace

Clearance + military exp = you're good in the DMV. Great actually.

Get a few certs and you can land a job instantly with your experience.

Honestly you may be able to land something now just start applying.

Secret is good, but TS/SCI w/ poly is the golden ticket. Goodluck !

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. Real great to hear honestly. Been sub'd to the thread for a minute now and pretty inspired by everyone in here. Will keep you all posted. Need to start making moves now that I'm back as a civilian. I tried getting a TS before I got out but chain of command didn't find it necessary nor a priority for me lol. Which is understandable. Hopefully an employer down the road can get me one. Thanks again

Peace

Start appying now, but get that S+ and then a Windows cert (a level 3 cert like CISSP would get you another ~20k or so) and you can step right into 60k, which is good money generally anywhere other thna NYC or Cali, or so as in a few weeks.

In fact, check out this contracting company called Snap, INC. They are out of VA and have contracts all over the world. They are dirty as ****, did a whole bunch of illegal **** to our contract when they took us over (was going to call the DOL on them but just ended up finding another job), but it's a foot in the door.

http://www.snapinc.net

Also, Fort Sam Houston which is in San Antonio, has a bunch of jobs coming open for their N.E.C (Network Enterprise Center) that start at a gs12. I know they still have openings on Ft Sill too

I even got the info of a recruiter from SNAP too if you want to PM me after you get qualified up a bit more and just hit her up and tell her you were interested in what opportunities they have. Hell, she even recruits off of FB, name is Kristen Moskway https://www.facebook.com/moskwaka?fref=ts

We need to know what your intended fields are. Certs can either be helpful or a waste of time.

Honestly not to sure, just starting to look into things but going to take some classes coming up. Not really looking into much programming, not really my thing. What fields would you guys suggest I look at to get the ball rolling? :nerd:

Start with help desk. At that point, you'll have a job that mostly involves you sitting at a computer/desk and waiting a lot of the time, you can then take some online courses or buy books to whatever your next move is, plus you can get in entry level pretty quickly. It also gives you the chance to meet some people and network. Check usajobs for Civilian-GS opportunities and contractor jobs are harder to find, but clearancejobs.com has some listings and of course the regulars like indeed and monster

Any of you ever interview with a role that is in a SCRUM methodology but never officially worked in sCRUM? I`m thinking it would be best to leverage having an understanding of the fundamentals and then relating any tasks performed in a Waterfall methodology that fits into Agile/SCRUM.

Any of you ever interview with a role that is in a SCRUM methodology but never officially worked in sCRUM? I`m thinking it would be best to leverage having an understanding of the fundamentals and then relating any tasks performed in a Waterfall methodology that fits into Agile/SCRUM.
It's nothing intricate. It's just short daily meetings talking about what you're working and what you did before.

Was annoying for me because we had it every morning and I couldn't straggle into work often. Had to call in for the meeting if I wasnt there yet.

Do research on SCRUM. Show you have an understanding without experience.

It's nothing intricate. It's just short daily meetings talking about what you're working and what you did before.

Was annoying for me because we had it every morning and I couldn't straggle into work often. Had to call in for the meeting if I wasnt there yet.
In a true scrum sprints, the entire team is supposed to in a room together all day. They're 100% dedicated to the project. But it does seem that some teams just meet for 15 mins in the morning. Depends on the company.

Last edited:

yea I know long story short its pretty much Sprints/Iterative releases opposed to releasing everything at once. I have worked on a tone of projects utilizing and being involved for the entire SDLC but just that it was using Waterfall and not SCRUM.

Daily scrum is an imperative part of SCRUM. This only involves the dev team, with a stand in scrum master or product owner (if needed). It helps your team to feel accountable and solve any issues that could potentially arise.

Coming from waterfall to Agile, I really do see more quality work getting done in less time. All about delegating roles, responsibilities and personal accountability.

Check scrumguides.org for the official guide. Try to apply small changes daily to your team.

Its the kind of work you're doing that would call for it.

At a previous employer we did agile, but my team only worked on one application. It made sense to have short continuous release cycles (major and minor) to deploy bug fixes and new functionality. SCRUM specific, if I need help with something on the story board, another teammate can pick it up.

For my current work, I'm involved throughout the SDLC for multiple projects. The timelines are structured around deadlines for clients in other countries. There are multiple assets and teams involved and I'm probably not working on the same tool as my team. Its better to have the longer 6 month release to allow for development, testing and approval by outside governments. Especially if one asset/team is finished with their deliverable and another is held up.

Back
Top Bottom