Information Technology (IT)

Curious to hear your opinions of pursuing a bachelors in Cyber Security from DeVry in conjunction with obtaining certs? Thanks in advance
It could work I don't know anyone that pursued cyber from that type of school (still very new). Which certs would you be getting? The CISSP requires 5 years of experience.

I've finally buckled down and started studying for my CCENT. My father was able to get me the CBT Nuggets so I'm using those as a reference then I'll move on to the book.

I think I'm going to start on this soon as well. My current position has me working with Cisco IADs and ISRs more so I think that would do me well.

Last edited:
Is there anyway I can get certs without going back to college campus and sitting in a class room?

Self study, and take the test. No need for college to get certs.
Any specific sites you'd recommend?

I have the summer off from school and am interested at looking into this sort of stuff in my free time.

I've been teaching myself basic coding through some textbooks and resources online.

Would you guys say Java Programming and SQL are the two most hot things to have on your resume? Trying not to get complacent and comfortable at become dated, i havent touched SQL since college and JAVA seems to be the most widley used OOP.

Self study, and take the test. No need for college to get certs.

Any specific sites you'd recommend?

I have the summer off from school and am interested at looking into this sort of stuff in my free time.
I've been teaching myself basic coding through some textbooks and resources online.

Thats what I'm planning on doing. I know there are some basic free classes available on coursera.org might want to check them out

Professor Messer is a good source for the entry-level CompTIA certs. There are a bunch of videos on youtube that will help also depending on what you plan on studying.

Anyone here work as a contractor/consultant? I can easily increase my salary by 40k just by doing that. Just scare to leave my permanent position.

Anyone here work as a contractor/consultant? I can easily increase my salary by 40k just by doing that. Just scare to leave my permanent position.
working as a contractor now... should be made permanent in a month. Seeing 50k now, should be around 75 when i get onboard..

I did it before starting work full time. The extra money is nice, but if 25-30k of that extra income is going right back into your company and legal fees, you're better off just staying at your permanent gig imo. Its not worth the extra hassle of booking everything, scheduling, dealing with clients, etc. Its those small things that separate the great contractors and consultants from the rest.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm really considering though. I really do not enjoy sitting in an office all day. This is an opportunity to actually be out and about.
On another note. I'm actually considering another job. But i will have to travel every week to the east coast. I live in LA.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm really considering though. I really do not enjoy sitting in an office all day. This is an opportunity to actually be out and about.
On another note. I'm actually considering another job. But i will have to travel every week to the east coast. I live in LA.
It all depends on your job. I am currently sitting in a lab all day in a software engineer role looking to switch to systems engineering, so I can hopefully spend less time in the lab.

Sup guys.

I want to grow and become a better web developer. I am just now getting into it and teaching myself ruby now. For anybody that does web dev or know about it. What books, sites, tools., etc do you guys recommend I look at to learn more?

Thanks

Sup guys.

I want to grow and become a better web developer. I am just now getting into it and teaching myself ruby now. For anybody that does web dev or know about it. What books, sites, tools., etc do you guys recommend I look at to learn more?

Thanks
Codecademy.com for me. I learned HTML and CSS last week. Pretty easy for me at least HTML. CSS is to but its some things I get caught up on. Javascript and JQuery is next on my list after I get some practice without tutorial on the HTML and CSS. Notepad ++ I'm using to develop my sites, but you can use wordpress and a slew of others. Its a lot of options out there. Just research Web Developers must need to know and a lot of info comes up.  Im also joining a local Web Dev group here. Also learn ASP.NET as well. The more languages you know the better. If you look at a lot of job descriptions it always asks for multiple languages to be known. Front End Developers make a good living and you can be a freelancer too. Im excited bout this new path.

http://www.w3schools.com/website/web_spa_homepage.asp

treehouse.com

lynda.com

Codecademy.com for me. I learned HTML and CSS last week. Pretty easy for me at least HTML. CSS is to but its some things I get caught up on. Javascript and JQuery is next on my list after I get some practice without tutorial on the HTML and CSS. Notepad ++ I'm using to develop my sites, but you can use wordpress and a slew of others. Its a lot of options out there. Just research Web Developers must need to know and a lot of info comes up.  Im also joining a local Web Dev group here. Also learn ASP.NET as well. The more languages you know the better. If you look at a lot of job descriptions it always asks for multiple languages to be known. Front End Developers make a good living and you can be a freelancer too. Im excited bout this new path.

treehouse.com

lynda.com
Thank you dude.

I am using Codeacademy to learn Ruby will continue to use this site. It is object oriented so it has been easy to keep up with so far.

Will also look into the other things. I figured I should be able to speak well about atleast 3 diffrent web dev launages and have some small sites coded up before I try to interview for any web dev roles.

Thank you dude.

I am using Codeacademy to learn Ruby will continue to use this site. It is object oriented so it has been easy to keep up with so far.

Will also look into the other things. I figured I should be able to speak well about atleast 3 diffrent web dev launages and have some small sites coded up before I try to interview for any web dev roles.
I'm doing the same bro. Just riding out this desktop support role until I fall into something as I progress on my skills. Developing sites and learning languages. I just got hit up 2 hours ago about a role at a company doing Jr sys admin and got a phone interview today at 430, but there is growth for programmers. I'm in school for Software Engineering and still got 2 more years until I finish. Crazy how things are lining up when you working on your self-development.

franksneaks90 franksneaks90 jking40 jking40

Here is a site with a good "curriculum"/progression flow for web development (front-end and back-end): http://www.webdesigndegreecenter.org/learn-to-code/

It list good courses for each area (includes links to the codeacademy courses as well).

1 link in particular that I recommended for HTML/CSS is Shay Howe's guide http://learn.shayhowe.com/html-css. Very thorough, yet easy to read and comprehend. You build a site from scratch while learning HTML5 and CSS5

I'd say after doing HTML/CSS learn a framework (I learned Bootstrap). It really isn't necessary if you have a good understanding of page styling, but you'll be confident in saying you know a framework. There's a learning curve, but that's only because you're working with css classes you didn't write yourself so knowing how they work and what even exists can be a pain initially.

treehouse.com
lynda.com

Thank you dude.

www.freecodecamp.com is the way to go They even use some programs from code cademy. LinkedIn now recognizes freecodecamp as legitimate educational certificate. It's extensive and once you finish with your trainings, you they have non-profit/volunteer work for you so you can build your resume and skills, not to mention the groups on facebook. I joined the group and just got linked up with someone who wants to revamp a website. So on top of the front-end web dev, she also let me be the project manager on the project so that's icing on the cake.

Thats pretty cool. I might knock out those training just to put them on my linkedin. I want something other than my resume up there.

Back
Top Bottom