Information Technology (IT)

Speaking of helpdesk, is it possible to get a job with a hs diploma and a experience in cybersecurity?

Im currently working in cybersecurity and they paying me really well despite the fact that i have jo certs or diploma. But theres.no growth and im really eager to learn and grow. Any help would be appreciated.

Btw Sorry if newb question.

Yea its possible, specially with all this start ups popping up. I didn't have any certifications when i got hired but i was going to those "tech school" that my community college was providing. You just really have to know what you are talking about and who you are talking to. Service Desk is 75% of the time talking to your end user.

Yea its possible, specially with all this start ups popping up. I didn't have any certifications when i got hired but i was going to those "tech school" that my community college was providing. You just really have to know what you are talking about and who you are talking to. Service Desk is 75% of the time talking to your end user.

Thanks man. Guess i can start networking/looking then

I have this mindset of "not what u know, but who u know.

LMAO i know those feels, our old Windows Admin decided to push a patch last year and it basically broke half of our domain users it was horrible. Thankfully he left some time ago, now i dont even know if we are pushing updates at all.
I remember Microsoft pushed a patch out end of last year broke Exchange for everyone that ran it. It department was going crazy trying to solve it because I was working with a financial company at the time.

Speaking of helpdesk, is it possible to get a job with a hs diploma and a experience in cybersecurity?

Im currently working in cybersecurity and they paying me really well despite the fact that i have jo certs or diploma. But theres.no growth and im really eager to learn and grow. Any help would be appreciated.

Btw Sorry if newb question.
Yes not easy unless you have some certs to go along with the diploma. Degrees were not important, but certs were, then degrees were important and certs not so much. We are going back to the degree not so important era again, with certs being more important.

Thanks fellas. Def didnt wanna hear that lol.

Im just gona apply to places while i have this job and hoping someone takes a chance on me with my experience.

Been lurking through the thread for a long time now and I think I'm ready to get into I.T. My background is all management but I'm looking to make a career change as my personality doesn't work for my field as well as my job satisfaction is horrible. Normally I don't care about job satisfaction but I want to at least get paid if I hate my job haha.

What jobs would you all recommend I start applying for while I take I.T courses so that I may gain experience?

Is it possible that I could get some entry level help desk job with only management experience?

Is it possible that I could get some entry level help desk job with only management experience?
Welcome to the field, yes you can however you are going to need to tailor your resume as someone looking to get into the field. If they see a resume with tons of management experience they are going to think you are just looking for a job because the last one ended.

Welcome to the field, yes you can however you are going to need to tailor your resume as someone looking to get into the field. If they see a resume with tons of management experience they are going to think you are just looking for a job because the last one ended.

Thanks for the advice. Are there any resources I can use to tailor the new resume that you can recommend?

LMAO i know those feels, our old Windows Admin decided to push a patch last year and it basically broke half of our domain users it was horrible. Thankfully he left some time ago, now i dont even know if we are pushing updates at all.

Setting windows to auto patch prod servers.

50shades-niketalk.gif

Then not patching at all.

nmsw.gif

how many years of EXP you have to be working a job that requires that cert?

I know people at my job with it but no one personally. I hear its quite a difficult test and long one to take but looks like to me you have plenty of time to study if you stay focused.

Good Luck!

Thanks bro. I have 5 years of formal IT experience (10 if you count Staples EZ tech lead). I have been working in cyber for about three years, but formally for about a year and half. My friend did a SANS bootcamp and he gave me the Mp3s. I also paid for Boson practice tests and read through the Eric Conrad CISSP book, as well as the CBT Nuggets videos.

LMAO. Those that think helpdesk personnel just answer phones and create tickets. I worked in helpdesk for years getting my experience, even though I was doing deskside system admin work. I was working at TSA headquarters and DEA so I wanted to go to the desk and meet the employees. Some FINE ones back there, eventually transitioned into Sys Admin, then particular technologies within being a sys admin, VMware, Hyper V, playing around with TestDrive right now. I didn't mind them calling me helpdesk back in the day as long as I was getting sys admin and sys engineer money.

Did you snoop, I mean research them on Glassdoor?

Yes I went ahead and snooped. I didn't know if anyone else on here might have had a review about them.

Has anyone ever worked on a windows deployment team where all of your expenses are paid and you're put up in a hotel for the duration of the deployment? I just accepted a role doing that for about 5 months before I try to get on with Vectrus and go overseas.

Has anyone ever worked on a windows deployment team where all of your expenses are paid and you're put up in a hotel for the duration of the deployment? I just accepted a role doing that for about 5 months before I try to get on with Vectrus and go overseas.
I have done half of that, worked on many deployment teams, and worked in travel positions. Great experience if you are single with nothing to tie you down. Some cities have great per diems so you just make pure profit every day. Enjoy the experience. Where are you going to be traveling to CONUS or OCONUS?

Start of my senior year. Taking application development, networks and infrastructure, and database management classes this semester along with finance and business communications. Excited to start some actual CIS courses.

Congrats on the CCNA pass.

thanks!

:pimp::pimp: my man, taking mine soon

bruh that joint was not easy 64 questions with 90 mins. You cant skip questions and come back to them either nor can you mark for review. Whatever question is next you have to answer it before you can go to the next question. The sims are all over the exam they arent just in the beginning. Bout time i made it to my last question i had 5 mins on the clock. Needed a 810 to pass got a 848.

im taking a break for now certified out till the 2020s CEH V9 and CCNA was enough for me this year.

Last edited:
I have done half of that, worked on many deployment teams, and worked in travel positions. Great experience if you are single with nothing to tie you down. Some cities have great per diems so you just make pure profit every day. Enjoy the experience. Where are you going to be traveling to CONUS or OCONUS?

I did imaging and deployment along with tech support for the university I interned for. Chill job with lots of downtime, especially when youre dealing with slower computers.

Start of my senior year. Taking application development, networks and infrastructure, and database management classes this semester along with finance and business communications. Excited to start some actual CIS courses.
Get some internship experience before you graduate and you shouldnt have much trouble finding a job after

Back
Top Bottom