In your opinion, who had the most improbable route to make it as a professional athlete?

ALL SPORTS

We all know the story of Kurt Warner. Was bagging groceries, playing arena ball, and eventually became one of the best QBs in the NFL after a lot of hardships along the way. Another one who I can think of is Brian Banks (played in the pre-season). Beat a bogus rape charge where he served time and eventually got his shot in the NFL.

Who else out there had a a tough go of things before making it to the pros? Doesn't even have to be a star player...just someone who beat the odds.

Last edited:
Soccer player named Rickie Lambert. Went from paving roofs, to playing in Englands 9th division, to possibly playing on Engalnds WC team next summer in brazil.

Steve Nash was in Victoria BC maybe at best like the 5th best basketball area in a wack basketball country, he never played AAU, no exposure in the states, not recruited by anyone, after his senior season his coach sent his highlight tape to 30 college teams only one responded, Santa Clara, 4 years and a 1st round pick, to two MVP's.

Steve Nash HAS to be the most unlikely path to an MVP ever.

Last edited:
Steve Nash was in Victoria BC, he never played AAU, no exposure in the states, not recruited by anyone, after his senoir season his coahc sent his highlight tape to 30 college teams only one responded, Santa Clara, 4 years and a 1st round pick, to two MVP's.

he also broke his right arm when he was young and had to spend a summer only using his left which is why he's so good with both hands

Soccer player named Rickie Lambert. Went from paving roofs, to playing in Englands 9th division, to possibly playing on Engalnds WC team next summer in brazil.

Let's keep it strictly to MLB, NHL, NFL, and the NBA.

**** yo rules thats actually a really dope story, dont know how i never heard of that

george foremans story is crazy too, but i think a lot of fighters probably have improbable journeys so wont get into it.

Last edited:
Jim Abbott wins :lol:

James Harrison is another with the amount of times he was released. Always managed to make it back to a team then finally shined through when he got his chance

Steve Nash was in Victoria BC maybe at best like the 5th best basketball area in a wack basketball country, he never played AAU, no exposure in the states, not recruited by anyone, after his senior season his coach sent his highlight tape to 30 college teams only one responded, Santa Clara, 4 years and a 1st round pick, to two MVP's.

pretty crazy

Boxing great Manny Pacquiao has really had to fight his way up from the bottom. His home country, the Philippines, is relatively poor, and Pacquiao's dad once got so desperate that he even ate the family dog. After this obviously disturbing event, Pacquiao ran away from home and lived on the streets, selling doughnuts to make money to survive. Boxing became a way for him to turn his life around, and there's no doubt that it worked. Pacquiao has become something of a national legend, even becoming the first athlete to appear on a Philippines postage stamp. He has the distinction of being the only boxer to ever win world titles in eight different weight divisions and is considered one of the best boxers of his generation.

Last edited:
randy smith. Drafted in the 7th round as a publicity stunt and set the NBA consecutive games played record. All star MVP

Jose Cortez...cuzz went from patching roofs with tar to kicking it in the xfl, to being the most hated person wearing a niners jersey, back to patching roofs

Not the top story but shout out to my dude Devean George who was a 6'1'' Division III J.V. guard who three years later was the highest ever Division III first round draft pick.

Came in here to post this

Gilbert Arenas went from being homeless and living out of a car with his father who never accomplished his dreams of being an actor to becoming one of the best players in the league a few years back. Despite high school success, critics thought he would get zero minutes of playing time at the college level (hence his choice of jersey number) and he went on to help them reach the NCAA Championship game. From there he dropped on draft day and worked on his game to become the NBA's most improved player, was an All-Star, and one of the league's leading scorers. He was constantly proving people wrong and beating the odds.

Strong username to post ratio I know 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Not the top story but shout out to my dude Devean George who was a 6'1'' Division III J.V. guard who three years later was the highest ever Division III first round draft pick.

:wow: I knew he came out of D3, but I didn't know the backstory. Pretty crazy.

Jose Cortez...cuzz went from patching roofs with tar to kicking it in the xfl, to being the most hated person wearing a niners jersey, back to patching roofs

:lol: Jose Cortez. Dude tried to scrap w. Larry Allen....

*I guess I'll make a change to the OP and make it open to ALL sports...

I saw Pacman posted, and I'd have to say Johnny Tapia had a harder path...

Back
Top Bottom