In Honor of Black History Month....

http://twitpic.com/11d07s#

62752600.jpg

62752600.jpg

laugh.gif

?uestlove posted this on twitter and its getting some play on blog sites.  Lotta people calling racism, but personally I don't see the problem.  Are we going to not act like those foods are not staples of the African-American diet?  I understand the portrayal of African-Americans and Fried Chicken hasn't historically been done in a tasteful way ie
o_generalelectricadnu.jpg

But as long as it is not done mockingly I personally do not see a problem.  In the words of Nas

"Like Greeks with his falafel,
Italian with his to-mato pasta
What roti is to a rasta"

Every culture has its staple food.  Does everyone from that culture nessicarily eat that? No.  But IMO, as long as it is done in a respectful way, I don't think it is wrong.

In your opinion did NBC violate?

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Do Black people really eat that much more fried chicken than others?
Not remarkably more.  It is definitly a Southern food more than anything, but Blacks were the cooks for the slave masters, and for whatever reason I guess, that was the dish that they perfected.  "Created by Southern Black woman, to feed massive guests?"  I'm white and I eat fried chicken all the time.  But let's not stunt and pretend there isn't a chicken sport in every hood.

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

But EVERBODY eats fried chicken, though.
Everybody eats Pasta and everybody eats Chinese food.  Doesn't mean there still isn't an ethnicity or culture it is mainly associated with...

black people always complain about the small things, we never get the people rallied when real s_ goes down. Quest love is reaching

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Everybody eats Pasta and everybody eats Chinese food.  Doesn't mean there still isn't an ethnicity or culture it is mainly associated with...
laugh.gif

Is there such  as black food? And its not like chicken is only found in Africa.

eek.gif

swear to GAWD I was make a post entitled "Black People--Are you ashamed of the food you enjoy"?

Like I said on twitter, the African story in America CANNOT be told without certain foods being mentioned.  A majority of the history as to why we like these food is becase a) they are similar to food we had in africa (yams) b) it's just the scraps left over from master that we grew accustomed to c) chitterlings, gizzards d) it's cheap things that we could afford (black eyed peas) or e) it was easy things to grow that we had access to. 

I mean, dam, for real? What you eat doesn't make you ignorant, and why you so mad that everyone is aware of our relationship to these foods?????

Originally Posted by bluedeniro

we never get the people rallied when real s_ goes down.
like the fact that in EVERY major city in America, countless black communities are being repackaged and resold to white masses and those said black people are being displaced....

i look at it like this...i flat out think its wrong..
black people didnt come together and agree on a STAPLE food..despite what people believe
and im pretty sure there arent alot of black 'big-wigs' in the corporate office that said 'yeah lets do this..i think its a respectable thing to do'..
i could come up with a thousand hypothetical situations on 'why' this is wrong..but it doesnt take away from the fact that this may offend MANY..smh

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

laugh.gif

It's not black food, it's African-American food.  African-American's have different staples of there diets compared to Jamaicans, Venezuelan's, Kenyan's and Dominicans (
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
).  There is more than one nationality if you are black you know?

IDYM, glad we are on the same page...

They do this on Fort Sill and every other military base every yr for the Black History Month luncheon and I've never known anyone to care. But just like everything else, people are going to act like only black people do it.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

laugh.gif

It's not black food, it's African-American food.  African-American's have different staples of there diets compared to Jamaicans, Venezuelan's, Kenyan's and Dominicans (
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
).
  There is more than one nationality if you are black you know?

IDYM, glad we are on the same page...
waits for "Dominicans aint black, They Dominican"
laugh.gif

Its funny because Caucasians actually preferred it first.
In that same song as Nas also states

"Created by Southern Black women, to please Massa's guest"

And if we really want to take it back, ancient Caucasians had
a diet consisting of flesh long before America or any of its "racist"
stereotypes were ever founded and implied.

But Unfortunately yes fried chicken does have a relevancy/staple in today's
common African-American diet.

Originally Posted by GTEK

Its funny because Caucasians actually preferred it first.
In that same song as Nas also states

"Created by Southern Black women, to please Massa's guest"

And if we really want to take it back, ancient Caucasians had
a diet consisting of flesh long before America or any of its "racist"
stereotypes were ever founded and implied.
If I had to guest that is why there is the idea that blacks love it so much...It was what "Massa" ate for dinner, something looked at as the most desired delicacy in the eye's of the blacks slaves, which was then adopted into their diet once they became free and had options for their own diet.

Originally Posted by I Drink Your Milkshake

Originally Posted by bluedeniro

we never get the people rallied when real s_ goes down.
like the fact that in EVERY major city in America, countless black communities are being repackaged and resold to white masses and those said black people are being displaced....

gentrification is good, when the city planners do it correctly, i don't care what quote on quote community activist say 

Back
Top Bottom