In a college football season where no offensive player stands out...

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

This really could've been Jahvid Best's Heisman if it wasn't for those 2 L's to Oregon and USC. Dude had 5 td's against Minnesota and was the #1 Heisman prospect according to Tod McShay at that point in time. Everything was all set up for the Heisman Campaign but Oregon finally woke up against CAL and killed their season and Best's Heisman hopes. Another blowout loss to USC and it was a wrap for the Pac-10 champion. Hopefully Oregon makes it to the National Title game, USC loses 1 more game, and CAL wins out to go to the Rose Bowl
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
but then reality kicked in.
frown.gif

Ndamukong Suh should win. The guy is always double or even triple teamed and he still puts up outstanding numbers and makes incredible plays. Go YouTube someof his highlights and see why NFL scouts are drooling over him. But, I bet Colt McCoy, Jimmy Clausen or Mark Ingram Jr. will win because they are a"sexier" pick.

11me0j8.jpg

Originally Posted by l Silky Johnston l

Ndamukong Suh should win. The guy is always double or even triple teamed and he still puts up outstanding numbers and makes incredible plays. Go YouTube some of his highlights and see why NFL scouts are drooling over him. But, I bet Colt McCoy, Jimmy Clausen or Mark Ingram Jr. will win because they are a "sexier" pick.

11me0j8.jpg
Even though Suh will go down as a great defensive player, you don't give the Heisman to a player on a mediocre team. Nebraska lost to IowaState,
smh.gif

The last defensive player to win the Heisman was Charles Woodson (Yes, I know he played both ways and Special Teams), and he was on a great Michigan team thatwent undefeated and won a share of the National Title.

Big difference.

^The Heisman trophy is presented to the nation's most outstanding player in college football. There is nothing mentioned about the team they play for inthe award description. He is clearly the most outstanding player and deserves to win.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Even though Suh will go down as a great defensive player, you don't give the Heisman to a player on a mediocre team.
Partially a reason why the Heisman doesn't always go to the best player in the nation.

It should be called the "Best player on a great team" award.

Although the Heisman has that definition the voters have completely thrown that out the window. And that's sad.

It's the award for best college quarterback or running back for a name team. 99% of past winners can fall into that category. You would litterally have tohave 45 sacks on a 12-0 team to win it as a defensive lineman.

if u really believe the heisman trophy is awarded to the "most outstanding player", I got some Land in the Everglades to sell you.

and add to that the defense he anchors gave up 30+ to texas tech in a Loss and he couldnt get an ounce of pressure on Tyrod Taylor on a game winning play thattook like 20 seconds to unfold pretty much wipes him out the race for most outstanding player.

I know there's a million cases we could use but how about just these 2 recent ones
laugh.gif

Elvis Dumervil, DE/OLB Lousville
In 2005 season he had 63 tackles, 23 for loss, 20 sacks, and an NCAA record 11 forced fumbles. Louisville finished regular season 11-2 and Dumervil won the BigEast Defensive Player of the Year Award, Hendricks Award(Best DE), Nagurski(Best defensive player in the nation), and was named to everybody's All-Americanlists.

He finished 10th in Heisman voting.

Terrell Suggs, DE/OLB Arizona State
In 2002 Suggs shattered the Pac-10 and NCAA single-season records in leading the nation with 24 quarterback sacks. He also led the nation and seta new Pac-10 season record for tackles for losses with 31.5, intercepted a pass and forced six fumbles. He was unanimous first-team All-American, won theRotary Lombardi Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, and was named Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year by both the Pac-10 coaches and The Sporting News.

He did make it in the Top-10 Heisman vote.

I'm not sayin either of those dudes should have outright won nor am I saying they were part of '85-Bears type defensive units. But come on now
laugh.gif

If it were to go to a defender this year I'd say Berry or Suh definitely make a strong argument.

2009 stats-

Terrence Cody, DT- 17 tackles
eyes.gif

Eric Berry, CB- 57 tackles, 1 interception
Ndamukong Suh, DT- 49 tackles, 5 sacks, 7 PBU, 1 interception

Being a homer and seeing Suh play every week, I think its important to acknowledge the constant double teams he attracts, leading to these numbers by hisfellow DT
Jared Crick, DT- 49 tackles, 8 sacks
pimp.gif

If ND wins out, Jimmy Clausen will win the Heisman Trophy. His stats will be off the charts and because ND is on national tv every week, he has the exposure.

I can't see Tebow taking it this year unless he goes beast mode for the last few games.

Ingram has a shot if Alabama beats Florida.

Berry and Suh play for teams with too many losses.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

if u really believe the heisman trophy is awarded to the "most outstanding player", I got some Land in the Everglades to sell you.
QFE!

If ND wins out, Jimmy Clausen will win the Heisman Trophy. His stats will be off the charts and because ND is on national tv every week, he has the exposure.

This is a sad statement, and it is even sadder that it might turn out to be true.

Jimmy has put up numbers against feeble competition. He looked like @*%$ against USC in the first half, and respectable in the second. The same USC D thatgot torn to shreds by Canfield and Masoli. Just food for thought.

If stats were everything then shouldn't the QB from Texas Tech get it every year or this year shouldn't Case Keenum get it.

Case Keenum - 3,293 yds passing, 25 td's, 5 int's, 411 yds per game. (Team lost to UTEP, beat Oklahoma State in Stillwater)
Jimmy Clausen - 2,318 yds passing, 18td's, 2 int's, 289 yds per game. (Team lost to Michigan and USC, hasn't beat another ranked team)

However if Jimmy has a big game against Pitt, I think the Heisman will be gift wrapped for him
eyes.gif
, sad.

ESPN's NFL Draft guru, Mel Kiper Jr., passionately made a case on the air for Nebraska senior nose tackle Ndamukong Suh as a Heisman Trophy candidate.

Kiper said Suh is "spectacular" week in and week out.

"Why he doesn't get more mention ... is beyond me," Kiper concluded.

Originally Posted by l Silky Johnston l

ESPN's NFL Draft guru, Mel Kiper Jr., passionately made a case on the air for Nebraska senior nose tackle Ndamukong Suh as a Heisman Trophy candidate.

Kiper said Suh is "spectacular" week in and week out.

"Why he doesn't get more mention ... is beyond me," Kiper concluded.
its because he's a DT...

Back
Top Bottom