If you're a NBA GM, are you drafting a dominant PG, or a NBA-ready big man?

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

A dominant PG can make a lot of big man NBA ready.

It goes both ways. That's too hard a question to ask. It would have to depend on the rest of your roster. Normally, I think big man. A dominant big man affects the game more defensively and if he is truly that good, you can run an offense through him.

If it's a center with a skillset like Shaq/Tim Duncan/Hakeem Olajuwon then I would draft the center with no question. If it's a center who has shown little skill in the post other than throwing down some dunks then I'm taking the point guard.

Big, build inside out. Always.

Of course, your team success will depend on whether that big man really pans out.

A lot easier to find mediocre/good PG's to compliment that big, then it is to find a big to complement your PG.

A well established/dominant big will draw double teams as well, thus, making it further easier to build around.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Let's say you are the GM of an expansion team in the NBA...if you have the #1 overall pick and there is a dominant PG on the board as well as a dominant big man, which way do you go to start your franchise? 

those are like dinosaurs

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

Lol, clearly you talkin' Wall vs Cousins. You've been hinting at this topic for the last couple days now.

I take dominant guard. They have the ball in their hands more so impact will be bigger from the jump. Also makes others around them better.

Wall over Cousins.

I just don't see Cousins ever having the type of work ambition to become great unlike J-Wall

In the modern league, a dominant point like a Derrick Rose, or a dominant wing (Durant). Historically, the big man, but the rules are tipped so far in favor of guards now that they dictate the flow of the game now.

seriously? a dominant pg? do some of you even think about being contenders or just selling jerseys?

what dominant pg has won the championship in the last decade? or even lead his team to the finals?

the last decade: lakers, spurs, pistons, celtics, heat - none of them featured a dominant pg, especially not one more dominant than the franchise's star player

definitely an nba-ready big man, but both are risky, there were debates back and forth between taking okafor vs howard

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

In the modern league, a dominant point like a Derrick Rose, or a dominant wing (Durant). Historically, the big man, but the rules are tipped so far in favor of guards now that they dictate the flow of the game now.

Couldn't have said it any better. 

And if this really a Wall versus Cousins post... I'd pick Wall. 

Depends on the players. Honestly. I wouldn't pick based on poistion..I would pick based on the player. Period.

Back when Duncan and Shaq were in their prime, you would go with the big man easily. But I dunno, many of the center prospects haven't really panned out in the past decade. Just looking at the drafts of the decade where a big man was chosen in the top 10 (btw, "big man" for me = 6'10" and taller)

2000: Chris Mihm, Joel Pryzbilla
2001: Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol, Eddy Curry, Desagana Diop
2002: Yao Ming, Drew Gooden, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Nene, Chris Wilcox, Amare Stoudemire
2003: Darko Milicic, Chris Bosh, Chris Kaman
2004: Dwight Howard, Emeka Okafor, Rafael Araujo
2005: Andrew Bogut, Channing Frye, Andrew Bynum
2006: Andrea Bargnani, LaMarcus Aldridge, Patrick O'Bryant, Mouhamed Sene
2007: Greg Oden, Al Horford, Yi Jianlian, Joakim Noah, Spencer Hawes
2008: Brooke Lopez

That's 32 total. How many from that list are players to build around/All-Star caliber? Probably only 10 of those listed.

Now let's compare the PGs drafted in the top 10 this decade:

2000: None drafted
2001: None drafted
2002: Jay Williams, Dajuan Wagner
2003: Kirk Hinrich, TJ Ford
2004: Shaun Livingston, Devin Harris
2005: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Raymond Felton
2006: None drafted (unless you consider Brandon Roy a PG)
2007: Mike Conley
2008: Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, DJ Augustin

Outside of the Paul, Deron, Derrick Rose, maybe Devin Harris, and the incredible 2009 class (I didn't add b/c they're only rookies so it's too early to judge), none of the other PGs really panned out.

Overall, it just depends on the player's skillset. If the guard is a proven prospect, I'd rather go with him instead of taking a very raw big man based on potential. If it's a skilled big man, you take him without question.

Everyone says in the modern league, but the recent champs have been dominant inside. It goes back until MJ, imo.

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

Overall, it just depends on the player's skillset. If the guard is a proven prospect, I'd rather go with him instead of taking a very raw big man based on potential. If it's a skilled big man, you take him without question.
But Dwight Howard didn't really have a skillset. He was considered to be a raw, but athletic freak. Oden looked like a freak, too so there's no true method to this madness. All depends on the guy.

ok i got one...

tim duncan talent or magic johnson talent?

thats a dominant big man and a dominat pg... who would u choose?

If I was a GM, and there were 2 excellent players in the draft, one big, one PG, and the scouts said, there's a 75 percent chance that the guard will be just as good, if not better than Chris Paul, but the big has a 40 percent chance of being just as good, if not better than Tim Duncan, I'm taking the gamble with the big every time.

big man easily
a big man can create his own shot and dont need to rely on the pg.
and mismatches, a good bigman will exploit mismatches, can rebound, can block and can tame the paint

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

seriously? a dominant pg? do some of you even think about being contenders or just selling jerseys?

what dominant pg has won the championship in the last decade? or even lead his team to the finals?

the last decade: lakers, spurs, pistons, celtics, heat - none of them featured a dominant pg, especially not one more dominant than the franchise's star player

definitely an nba-ready big man, but both are risky, there were debates back and forth between taking okafor vs howard
uh.. i agree with you but jason kidd is still alive...

It's riskier to take an Big man Ex. Kwame Brown types, then PG's.

But i agree with what somebody said earlier, your better off with a dominate wing more than any position.

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

Back when Duncan and Shaq were in their prime, you would go with the big man easily. But I dunno, many of the center prospects haven't really panned out in the past decade. Just looking at the drafts of the decade where a big man was chosen in the top 10 (btw, "big man" for me = 6'10" and taller)

2000: Chris Mihm, Joel Pryzbilla
2001: Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol, Eddy Curry, Desagana Diop
2002: Yao Ming, Drew Gooden, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Nene, Chris Wilcox, Amare Stoudemire
2003: Darko Milicic, Chris Bosh, Chris Kaman
2004: Dwight Howard, Emeka Okafor, Rafael Araujo
2005: Andrew Bogut, Channing Frye, Andrew Bynum
2006: Andrea Bargnani, LaMarcus Aldridge, Patrick O'Bryant, Mouhamed Sene
2007: Greg Oden, Al Horford, Yi Jianlian, Joakim Noah, Spencer Hawes
2008: Brooke Lopez

That's 32 total. How many from that list are players to build around/All-Star caliber? Probably only 10 of those listed.

Now let's compare the PGs drafted in the top 10 this decade:

2000: None drafted
2001: None drafted
2002: Jay Williams, Dajuan Wagner
2003: Kirk Hinrich, TJ Ford
2004: Shaun Livingston, Devin Harris
2005: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Raymond Felton
2006: None drafted (unless you consider Brandon Roy a PG)
2007: Mike Conley
2008: Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, DJ Augustin

Outside of the Paul, Deron, Derrick Rose, maybe Devin Harris, and the incredible 2009 class (I didn't add b/c they're only rookies so it's too early to judge), none of the other PGs really panned out.

2004: Jameer Nelson
2007: Aaron Brooks

Big men can't play like big men any more. Ever since the 3 second in the key rule was enforced. It's RIP to the dominant big men of the game

Back
Top Bottom