If you're a NBA GM, are you drafting a dominant PG, or a NBA-ready big man?

Let's say you are the GM of an expansion team in the NBA...if you have the #1 overall pick and there is a dominant PG on the board as well as a dominant big man, which way do you go to start your franchise? 

I think I was briefly talking about this with Cake the other night on Twitter....for me, I would much rather take a big over the PG.  Once you get your big man, you build your team around that. 

By dominant/NBA-Ready Big Man, what do you mean? Like a Greg Oden?

I would have said a big man in the past, but with the rules being enforced the way they are, I think a PG may be the way to go.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

By dominant/NBA-Ready Big Man, what do you mean? Like a Greg Oden?

Sure...lets say there's a Greg Oden type of talent and a Derrick Rose type of talent in the same draft....

which way do you go?

First reaction is to say NBA-ready big man but look at the way that turned out for the Blazers...(I've repeatedly said they had to take Oden there though)

It all depends. If you are really confident about the PG I'd almost lean that way.

Are you subliminally talking Wall vs Cousins or just mean in general?

Generally, I'd say a dominant big although if you are talking about the two UK guys I'm taking Wall first regardless of the rest of my lineup.

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

A dominant PG can make a lot of big man NBA ready.
True, if people notice you will see that drafting a PG is a success. Take a look at the recent Drafts, PG are taking over. The big man get hurt or take time to develop no matter what if you notice!

Dominant PG. The NBA has changed significantly, this is no longer a big mans game anymore and it's harder for them to dominate when they need someone to feed them the ball. Age of Guards
pimp.gif

an interesting topic, with current landscape of the NBA my gut reaction is point gaurd but when you look at some statistics they present some interesting information.

Hoopdata.com has adjusted plus minus split into offense and defense and a common theme appears; Point Gaurds, even very good defensive point guards have rather small defensive impact, and centers even great offensive centers have rather small offensive impacts. With the heavy pick and roll offenses run in today NBA one on one point gaurd defense is less important and with rule changes alowing bigs to foat around it's increased the defensive impact of centers and bigs.

It seems to be that you really can't go wrong either but PG's will be more popular because they dominate a more flashy part of the game.

I go big man.

Sure you can look at the recent young great guards, the less than exciting recent big men, etc. But I still go big man... Call me old school but I couldn't pass up the next great center.

Depends who the dominant big man is.  Depends on who the dominant point guard is.  Depends on the era. 

I think in this day and age I'd pick a guard.  In the 80's and 90's I'd probably go for the big guy. 

Depends on what your team is trying to accomplish. Who you already have, who you're trying to bring in (FA). Just food for thought. If your leading scorer is a pg you will NOT be a successful team (win division,championships etc.), not in the NBA. Of who the options are in this case, Wall over Cousins because of the personalities. ET brings more to the table imo.

bug man i think they're easier to compliment. 
kidd with the nets.

ai with the 76ers

mcgrady with orlando

arenas in dc

vince carter in toronto

lakers after shaq

bucks with the big 3

current heat squad 

current hornets squad

need another aquirement via free agency to make them contenders

well, IMO the answer is neither....you need a dominant wing... when you say big man are you talking about a back to the basket center of a PF?

if you're saying center, you can look @ the past few NBA championship teams and see they all started average NBA players at center..

Back
Top Bottom